So are you sure you want Sat Radio?

angryonionangryonion Just some guy
edited August 2011 in Man Cave
So as some of you know I work at a Mazda dealer and today I had the pleasure of installing a Sat receiver in a new CX-7.<br>I might as well been installing a kit from fucking BestBuy.Why this is not plug and play in beyond me.<br>The fist step is running the antenna wire from the back of the vehicle to the front.<br>2.jpg<br>
Then its time to tear apart the dash board.
DSC03185-Copy.jpg
Way to much work to listen to that jew howard stern if you ask me.

Comments

• landolando New Arrival
    edited August 2011
    I thought sat radio came preinstalled on new cars
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited August 2011
    It depends on the trim level.
    Its almost like installing power windows on a car that came with crank up levers.
  • landolando New Arrival
    edited August 2011
    wait wait wait... they still make cars with role up windows? :rolleyes:
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited August 2011
    Over here the ford KA still comes with tape decks, CD players are 200 quid on top. They also still have old style windows and analog clocks.

We have satalite radio at work and its shit, "static" is like being in a fish bowl.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    What a pain in the ass to install.
  • SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    You can still get extremely basic cars these days. The most basic cars still come with Roll up windows, manually operated mirrors, mechanical seats. hell, some don't even come with ABS. The only problem is you usually have to order these from the factory, which costs a few cents extra, but in the long run, it can be THOUSANDS cheaper. of course, I think that's amazing. when I go out and get my first car, I'm not going to want all those luxuries that people have come to expect, I want a vehicle that will get me from Point A to point B, and, if possible, have a little something under the hood as well.

OFF TOPIC: Why is that car called a "CX-7" if it doesn't have a Wankel engine? Mazda is known for using X to mark a rotary engine. Kinda misleading
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited August 2011
    I hope he can turn it up plenty loud to cover the rattles and squeaks of a dash being taken apart and put back together. Might not do it right away, but give it a couple of thousand miles.

Could the antena not have been hidden behind in the dash itself or does it have to be on the exterior of the metal work? When they come as standard, do you still have that ugly looking antena on the car or is made as part of the rear screen?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    What a waste. I am sure there are better alternatives to this. Going through all this trouble to install a shitty Sat, might as well install a 3D flat panel.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited August 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    I hope he can turn it up plenty loud to cover the rattles and squeaks of a dash being taken apart and put back together. Might not do it right away, but give it a couple of thousand miles.

Could the antena not have been hidden behind in the dash itself or does it have to be on the exterior of the metal work? When they come as standard, do you still have that ugly looking antena on the car or is made as part of the rear screen?
    I'm not worried about rattles and squeaks the panels fit nice and snug,it was a hot day so nothing broke and I didn't have any spare parts:).
    The instructions are very specific on the antennas location.Hell I could post the complete set of instructions if anyone is interested.
    As for the factory antenna its very different,one antenna runs the sat and the standard radio in the same enclosure.
    It looks like a shark fin sort of.
    @ seitzy I have no clue why Mazda names things the way they do.The only rotary vehicle we sell is the RX-8 but yet we have the CX-7,CX-9,MX-5.
  • MaxstatsMaxstats Regular
    edited August 2011
    Wow that's a lot of work for a shitty satellite radio. And like it said in the OP the only thing it's good for is Howard Stern...which you can download his entire show in mp3 format later that day or the next day for free and listen to it on your Ipod. Oppie and Anthony are pretty good too.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    angryonion wrote: »
    The instructions are very specific on the antennas location

So long as it has a view of the sky it shouldn't make a difference. The vehicle wont always be facing in a particular direction, so long as its on the roof it should be fine.