Self Igniting Molotov Cocktails [Published]

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited September 2011 in Man Cave
When made this way there are no open flames around the thrower. You will need sulfuric acid and potassium chlorate. both of these chemical are relatively safe to handle, simple to obtain, and reliable.

Fill your bottle with a half-inch of concentrated sulfuric acid and top off with a 4:1 mixture of gasoline and oil and cap it tightly. Next you will need to prepare a saturated solution of potassium chlorate and soak a sheet of paper in it and allow the paper to dry.

Once dry securely attach the paper around the outside of the bottle with glue, tape, or a rubber band. Once you are ready to use the cocktail shake very well to mix the sulfuric acid throughout the mixture as droplets, and then throw. When the bottle hits and breaks,some of the droplets of acid will come into contact with the paper which saturated with potassium chlorate and ignite itself along with the gasoline and oil.

This is the method used by the Soviets against the Nazis at the battle of Kursk. By using these self igniting cocktails they avoided the need to attempt to light one in the heat of the largest tank battle in history.

[SOUNDCLOUD]

Comments

• LordWormLordWorm Regular
    edited July 2011
    Nice idea. Sulfuric acid isn't miscible with hydrocarbons, so it should remain in droplets and react with the potassium chlorate when the bottle is broken.
  • edited July 2011
    That's such an awesome idea! Great thread dude, really. Have you ever made one of these?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    No I have not. I stumbled upon it while reading about the battle of Kursk. The account was vague when it came to what they put on the paper. So I consulted a friend who is a retired chemist and asked him what was water soluble, would not mix with gasoline, and would have an incendiary reaction with sulfuric acid. Without hesitation he replied, "Potassium chlorate. Why, are you planning on making a self igniting Molotov cocktail?"

On a side note the account of Kursk I was reading was on a .edu site. Funny how and educational account of history was purposely vague about the third component.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    I'm definitely trying this the next time I make potassium chlorate.
  • AndersHovelandAndersHoveland Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    white phosphorous dissolves in carbon disulfide (which is used as a solvent). Such mixtures self-ignite after a short time when spilled out in the open.

Pure alcohol (used as paint solvent), with a very small quantity of hydrochloric acid, will slowly dissolve tin (the element, do not use aluminum foil). The alcholol (such as ethanol) must be at least 90% pure. The tin was once very common several decades ago, but is now hard to find. If enough tin is dissolved in solution, such solutions can spontaneously ignite if left exposed to air.
  • edited August 2011
    This requires a text file.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited August 2011
    This is a pretty cool idea. Unlike regular molotovs, this can be used to make boobytraps/mines..Maybe before sending it to the textfile archives, you could possibly add in synths for potassium chlorate and sulfuric acid?
    edited August 2011
    fag wrote: »
    Maybe before sending it to the textfile archives, you could possibly add in synths for potassium chlorate and sulfuric acid?

Both chemicals are very easy to obtain and have multiple methods. They could be made into separate guides though.
    KClO3: Extract it from matches, ion swapping with bleach, electrolysis with bleach, or just purchase it online.
    H2SO4: Professional strength drain opener at plumbing/hardware stores, boil battery acid, electrolysis with a solution of root killer, or again, purchase it online.
    edited August 2011
    Another (easier to get materials) way:

Cook up some nigger napalm - INDIRECTLY heat petrol, slowly add styrofoam/soap to thicken.

Fill a capsule with potassium permangenate, set it in the bottle with the 'napalm' (I'm fairly sure petrol will eat right through most caps, so no storage).

Break open capsule, shake vigorously, throw. I'm probably overcomplicating things with the capsule - you can always just throw a cap of PP into the 'napalm' and shake.
    Where do you live to be able to find potassium permanganate more easily than sulfuric acid/potassium chlorate?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    Bumped for added audio
  • RdagronRdagron Semo-Regulars
    edited September 2011
    sugar has also been added to the potassium, hemp and cotton cord would absorb the solution better than paper, and would be easier to attach.

^^ to the heating the gas for napalm, no need to heat it, if you just use styrofoam (cooler kind or plates) will work just fine, if you press down own the styrofoam it'll dissolve faster (fumes'll give you a headache if you do it inside) and it'll leave a hard black plastic like reside on what ever its burning on
    edited September 2011
    Australia - garden stores don't stock it anymore, I believe
    If you're going to use potassium permanganate for this creation, why not just lob a bottle of manganese heptoxide instead? Probably a bad idea from the safety point of view, but that stuff is great at making fire.
    Rdagron wrote: »
    sugar has also been added to the potassium, hemp and cotton cord would absorb the solution better than paper, and would be easier to attach.
    That is a great idea!
  • RdagronRdagron Semo-Regulars
    edited September 2011
    also there are a lot of oxidizer that will react with sulfuric acid