14 Year Old Call of Duty Hacker Hired by Microsoft

white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
edited September 2011 in Spurious Generalities
These are the kinds of things dreams are made of, a 14 year old hacker on Call of Duty was just recruited by Microsoft. You heard me right, Microsoft.

It seems now days that instead of going to college, one can just hack into a website or service and get recruited by some big name company like Microsoft. The 14 year old from Dublin, Ireland had broken into the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 servers last month and started a phishing scam to get user information. Microsoft had initially thought the attack was a part of the same attack against the PlayStation Network and issued an alert. Word of the collaboration between Microsoft and the 14 year old came straight from Microsoft:

Paul Rellis delivered his key note address during Bank of Ireland Business Week. Rellis revealed that Microsoft planned to work with the Dublin teenager to develop his talent for legitimate purposes.

His name was not revealed, however I am sure it will turn up soon. What do you think? Should Microsoft be working with this kid?

http://www.tekgoblin.com/2011/05/27/14-year-old-call-of-duty-hacker-hired-by-microsoft/

Comments

• edited August 2011
    FUCK THEY HAVE MY PI FUCK

MUST KILL KID GRAAAARRRRRRGH!!
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited August 2011
    hmmm i didnt do reasrch on this it seems intresting oh well big companys do this all the time could still be true
  • edited August 2011
    Wow. I was amazed until I read AND's post and then realized that it was all a lie, which is probably a good thing actually. Why on earth would a company hire a 14 year old who phished someone? I mean, how easy is that! He didn't hack anything either, so he's nothing more than a skiddie 14 year old with a huge amount of good luck.

Definitely fake.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2011
    I come across job offers in tech job searches. "Hacker wanted for security company. No experience required, as long as you can get the job done. Money negotiable, dependent on your skills" i understand they can make a shitload more than 'IT management positions'
  • mafiabromafiabro Regular
    edited August 2011
    Even though it was a lie, it's threads like this that motivate me to take up real coding. I don't wanna be a skiddie though so its a long, bumpy road.
  • edited August 2011
    ^ We can help each other out if you're willing to learn. What are you into? Web hacking?

If you know HTML/PHP/SQL then you're at a good start. I'm still trying to learn it all :(
    edited August 2011
    Hah actually my passion lies in the actual computer. I've learned Java, C++, Python, and i started looking into HTML and PHP. I figure no sense in moving on to the net until i know what im working with inside and out. People get caught because they had a great understanding of the web and its workings, but only a general understanding of the system they were on. That's how they end up leaving footprints that lead back to them. I am very willing to learn, infact ive been trying to learn for a while.
  • edited August 2011
    Yeah, that's a cool way to look at it. If you want to get into computer exploitation and knowing your way around a machine then maybe you should get asking some questions in the hacking section here. I'd like to read your shit, maybe myself or others have answers to your questions and we can all share knowledge on things :)
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited August 2011
    Although in this case it is a lie, its not uncommon for companies to hire hackers, but we all know that. At first glance, hiring a phisher sounds like shit, but it happens - they get taken on as 'user interface experts', 'Customer experience managers' etcetera. Some one who can set up a good phishing scam is like a good translator - they speak the language (and I do not mean programming) as the company and the same language as the customer.
    edited August 2011
    Yea ive been planning on making a thread after i got a general grasp of it, but i ended up taking a break because of summer. I'll probably refresh myself on C++ and make a thread later in the week. Sharing knowledge sounds like the best idea, that is why were here:thumbsup: I could only help someone if they were interested in the actual hardware though because my knowledge of coding is still lacking.
  • edited August 2011
    I'll help you with the coding if you can help me out with the hardware side of things. I need to refresh my knowledge of web coding anyway, but I know HTML and CSS like the back of my hand, but I've only dipped into PHP. SQL is easy enough, and it goes very well with PHP as they both work hand in hand. I guess I need to learn C++ though, and maybe some assembly language so I can write exploits :D
    edited August 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I'll help you with the coding if you can help me out with the hardware side of things. I need to refresh my knowledge of web coding anyway, but I know HTML and CSS like the back of my hand, but I've only dipped into PHP. SQL is easy enough, and it goes very well with PHP as they both work hand in hand. I guess I need to learn C++ though, and maybe some assembly language so I can write exploits :D

Sounds great:thumbsup:
  • mandingomandingo Regular
    edited September 2011
    no way is this true haha
    edited September 2011
    Forgot to make a thread:)
  • edited September 2011
    mafiabro wrote: »
    Forgot to make a thread:)

The options still there if you want to help each other out, by the way :)
    edited September 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    The options still there if you want to help each other out, by the way :)
    Yea im just busy with school lately, ill get around to it:p