Lock picks

buddhabuddha Regular
edited August 2011 in Life
I've been busy today.

Making part of a new set of picks.

I would write a guide but there is a million of them out there. If you need templates or any help making some though, post here, and I'll see what we can do.

picks.jpg

The tips are actually polished, just didn't show up well in the pic, also the paper is warped not the picks.

The cost of commercial picks is outrageous, so I might start making these for cheap for people in the future. Anyone interested? You'd be able to pick and choose which picks you wanted, the finish, all of that.

Comments

• buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    The long deep curved one?
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited July 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    I've been busy today.

Making part of a new set of picks.

I would write a guide but there is a million of them out there. If you need templates or any help making some though, post here, and I'll see what we can do.

picks.jpg

The tips are actually polished, just didn't show up well in the pic, also the paper is warped not the picks.

The cost of commercial picks is outrageous, so I might start making these for cheap for people in the future. Anyone interested? You'd be able to pick and choose which picks you wanted, the finish, all of that.
    Just write something up quick. I'm sure everyone would love it. I've been out of the game for about 7 or 8 years, but I would be interested in the younger generation learning the skills.
    The long deep curved one?
    What the hell is that? that looks too wild to be of any real use on most locks I've come across.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    Just write something up quick. I'm sure everyone would love it. I've been out of the game for about 7 or 8 years, but I would be interested in the younger generation learning the skills.

What the hell is that? that looks too wild to be of any real use on most locks I've come across.

Really? Since that is twice now I'll explain. Any pick can be used in any way that works for you really, but that one...

...let's say the front pins set really low, and the lock is tight enough that pushing on them at all will push them above the shear line. How do you reach the very back pin?

It also isn't as curved as it looks in the picture, the paper the are taped to is all bent, so the shadows are kind of funny.

Those ones usually you can buy in all different amounts of curve.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited July 2011

Yeah, this.
    I'd be very interested in seeing your methods. The picks I buy online always fucking bend on me. :mad:
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    You know what picks I don't fucking get, the ones that look like the "king and queen", only longer with a lot more wonky ass bends, I really don't see a use for them.
    edited July 2011
    You know what picks I don't fucking get, the ones that look like the "king and queen", only longer with a lot more wonky ass bends, I really don't see a use for them.
    I have no clue what that even is. Can you post a picture?
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    17PieceSet-v2.jpg

The bottom two are the king and queen. Not what I was referring to though, the ones I'm talking about do look similar.
    edited July 2011
    Do you mean Bogota rakes?
    test-bogota.JPG
    The cuts in the bottom of the rake are supposed to distribute force. It cuts out a weak point in the pick where pressure builds.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    Straight-Face-Emoticon.png

No.

Kind of like this, but sharper bends.

myfeelerpicks.jpg
  • fagfag Regular
    edited August 2011
    Bogota Rakes/Wave Jigglers are the shit.

bogota1.jpg
    bogota2.jpg
  • easy-eeasy-e Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    Do you guys honestly feel making your own picks is better that buying a commercial set? I've never found the use of having more than ~5 basic picks/rakes.

I had a decent jackife set that I lost the same week I lost my pocket knife...not sure where my mind was that week. Hopefully they will show up eventually.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited August 2011
    ^ home made pics are better than bought ones any fucking day, I can make exactly what I want out of whatever I want, and I don't have to sell my children to do it.

WTF are you doing here anyway, t2 server blow up?
  • easy-eeasy-e Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    ^ home made pics are better than bought ones any fucking day, I can make exactly what I want out of whatever I want, and I don't have to sell my children to do it.

WTF are you doing here anyway, t2 server blow up?
    I pay enough for the server it better not have gone down but I lurk on here every few weeks or so. I only really respond to threads that interest me.

Anyways, I did find the commercial picks I've bought to be too thick for tiny padlocks and filing cabinets (I should have just used a hammer but I was practicing picking). I've heard European Locks are a lot smaller than US ones. Now that I've had some experience picking I'll probably make my next set. I may have a friend waterjet cut them for me or I may make them by hand. Depends how lazy I feel and what material I want to make them out of. Titanium would be nice but not to try to make by hand.