Anyone else do the bare minimum in life?

ShadyTrollShadyTroll Regular
edited June 2012 in Spurious Generalities
I can't be the only one. Come on, admit it. I shamelessly do the bare minimum in life. Not lazy, just not motivated. I don't excel at really anything & always talk about doing things but never actually make things happen. I'm content with coasting, how about you?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    Depends on my mood but I do try to avoid falling in to the bare minimum zone. Otherwise Totse would be fucked.
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited August 2011
    eh...Im moving forward...maybe not as quickly as I should be but Im movin'.
  • TraumTraum Regular
    edited August 2011
    I'm pretty much the same. I'm good at alot of things, great at none. I do enough to keep myself alive and on my feet, past that, eh. Just find it hard to care.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    I have my days.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2011
    I wish i could do nothing but once you're in, you're in for good.
  • edited August 2011
    It depends. I love minimalistic approaches to particular things, as long as it promotes good productivity and efficiency at the same time. For example, I'd happily pick a bare Linux OS to do my work on rather than a fully blown Windows 7 Ultimate with all the bells and whistles on. I also got rid of everything in my bedroom which I didn't need, and sold it. Now I have the minimum in here - a bed, my clothes and my computer. :)

Everything else I tend to do to the best of my ability, like schoolwork. Sometimes I just can't be bothered to do anything though.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    I am the living embodiment of Newtonian physics. If am am resting it takes an epic force to get me off of my ass an doing something. But once I get going it takes the gravity of a black hole to stop me.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    I have a habit of "doing it tomorrow". Weeks pass and I still haven't done what ever it was I meant to do, Basically I cant be fucked doing it.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    That describes me down to a tee :(
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited August 2011
    I tend to procrastinate like Daktologist but as far as school and getting things done at work I like to do the best I can with everything.
  • ShadyTrollShadyTroll Regular
    edited August 2011
    I'm not alone! :)
    I have a habit of "doing it tomorrow". Weeks pass and I still haven't done what ever it was I meant to do, Basically I cant be fucked doing it.

Same. I started making to do lists & have been slowly crossing things off. Little things I tend to put off.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2011
    As mentioned, theres no motivation. Thanks to computers, technology, and the Internet, the young'ns growing up know life is all bullshit and there really is nothing to look forward to except eventual death. No reason to strive hard in life because someone will just steal it all from you (bankers, wall street, the government, etc.) so fuck it why even bother?
  • edited August 2011
    ^ Feh, it's something to do. That's the reason I tried at school and why I'm going to University. I'm treating life like a video game at the moment, just doing things because it gets my XP up, and because it passes the time. Plus, its good fun and I don't want to be some poor crackhead living in a box ;)
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    I find going for a walk as the sun rises to make me a more productive person during the day. For some reason it makes me see the good in life and allows me to be more motivated. You have a very short time on this planet, so in my mind - make the most of it. I can never slow down in life or else I lose the plot.

wsp3BWGGKDRM48XBkG9UDBlk75XINap01WD9.jpg
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited August 2011
    Read Thoreau's "Walden".

"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone."
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited August 2011
    ^That's funny, between me and ducklips I think we own like 4 copies of walden.
    edited September 2011
    I still fail at life *sigh*. I actually made an effort at something & I sucked at it. :angry: FML. Tell me something pathetic about yourself to make me feel better. I'll most likely be able to top everyone else's failures but still it would be nice to have others relate.
  • blink182blink182 Acolyte
    edited September 2011
    I do less than bare minimum
  • blink182blink182 Acolyte
    edited September 2011
    And thats why your a faggot who can only post on the internet about your problems because no one in your real life gives enough of a shit to listen for more than a few seconds.

how did you know?
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited September 2011
    NOPE. Average way is average pay..
  • mandingomandingo Regular
    edited September 2011
    i do enough to be comfortable
  • mandingomandingo Regular
    edited September 2011
    in fact i read somthing that says the most happy people make around 70 k anything over puts to much stress on them haha
    edited September 2011
    I've been thinking a lot lately about what a failure I am & I realized in the past couple of years I've made virtually no progress in moving forward with my life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not depressed or anything, it's just weird watching everyone around me moving forward with their lives. I guess I should have it figured out by now but I don't. I thought about getting a 9-5 job to be a like a so called 'normal' person but that's just not me. I don't want to go to a job I hate every day. What do you do in life if you're not on the 'typical' path- college, get married, have kids?
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited September 2011
    ShadyTroll wrote: »
    What do you do in life if you're not on the 'typical' path- college, get married, have kids?

Learn cabinet making and exquisite joinery. Imagine the satisfaction from cutting a dovetail such as this by hand.

dovetail2.jpg
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited September 2011
    I am the living embodiment of Newtonian physics. If am am resting it takes an epic force to get me off of my ass an doing something. But once I get going it takes the gravity of a black hole to stop me.

This. My friend told it me it was because i am a cat
    edited September 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Learn cabinet making and exquisite joinery. Imagine the satisfaction from cutting a dovetail such as this by hand.

Actually, I have thought that picking up a creative hobby would help me some. I dunno, I mean I'm just really pondering life lately. A couple things triggered it recently. I kind of feel like I'm floundering. I wish I had the drive to do something with my life but there's just nothing that motivates me. I think I've become bored & restless. My days are spent doing menial tasks like cleaning, cooking, laundry, grocery shopping, yard work, etc. I need something to focus on & I want something to look forward to. Right now, it's the same shit, different day.
  • edited September 2011
    Read Thoreau's "Walden".

"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone."

Fucking awesome writer.

Self reliance is not something that can be unlearnt.
  • BukujutsuBukujutsu The Angry Inch
    edited September 2011
    I've been thinking a lot lately about what a failure I am & I realized in the past couple of years I've made virtually no progress in moving forward with my life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not depressed or anything, it's just weird watching everyone around me moving forward with their lives. I guess I should have it figured out by now but I don't. I thought about getting a 9-5 job to be a like a so called 'normal' person but that's just not me. I don't want to go to a job I hate every day. What do you do in life if you're not on the 'typical' path- college, get married, have kids?

Nirvana is the cessation of all desires. What is time? What's the difference between having wasted a few years and lifetime when you compare it to the infinite and realize that you were never alive in the sense you thought you were and that illusion will end when you "die"?

Well, at least I'll have to keep stagnating for 6 more years to get to your level.
    edited September 2011
    Bukujutsu wrote: »
    Nirvana is the cessation of all desires. What is time? What's the difference between having wasted a few years and lifetime when you compare it to the infinite and realize that you were never alive in the sense you thought you were and that illusion will end when you "die"?

Well, at least I'll have to keep stagnating for 6 more years to get to your level.

How about if you just kill yourself and save yourself some time and the rest of us some money?
    edited September 2011

Die in a fire. As much as I fail at life, I've come further than you ever will.
  • BukujutsuBukujutsu The Angry Inch
    edited September 2011
    Boy, I give you some advice and you shine out on me. Go sleep with your nigger husband, bitch.
    edited September 2011
    Boy, I give you some advice and you shine out on me. Go sleep with your nigger husband, bitch.

My husband is white, not a nigger you fucking SPIC.
    edited September 2011

images.jpg
    edited June 2012
    I've started getting it together. I no longer spend hours upon hours a day popping painkillers & trolling on the internet which is what I did for like 2 years. :facepalm: I've been working on my yard, it looks really good, I stepped up my workouts so I can be really toned & not just thin, I stopped blowing off my friends in favor of sitting at home like an antisocial loser, I go outside so much now I have a really nice tan, I took sewing classes to learn how to use my sewing machine & even made a few things and I go hiking every week & have taken a lot of cool pics. I still do 'questionable' stuff but I don't think that will ever change. I think the biggest thing for me was to stop the painkiller abuse. I was on a downward spiral & going nowwhere. All in all, I'm much happier than I was 6 months ago.
  • CloudcatCloudcat Regular
    edited June 2012
    I actually do less than the bare minimum.

Well I guess if the bare minimum is eat, sleep, breathe, and jack off then yeah I do that. But I mean other things that people are supposed to do like have a job and finish high school and find friends and shit like that. I don't do any of those.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited June 2012
    I used to do the absolute minimum to get me through life; and that was health-wise aswell. For being so young I was going downhill because everything around me led to the fact that I just didn't really give a shit. That was until I got my job at the school. I started living healthier, doing more and trying to do more to boost the things around me. I've started doing things that sometimes could hinder me to give someone else a hand. I'm guessing sometimes it can just be a laziness thing, or maybe a mood thing I don't know. But ever since work, I've really started getting shit together :D
    edited June 2012
    Since I've been getting a lot of sun, I've felt happier. Vitamin D is good for you & I have a nice tan (not that a tan really matters...).
  • allyalphaallyalpha Semo-Regulars
    edited June 2012
    Don't get me wrong, for the most part I really like my life.
  • edited June 2012
    This thread reminds me of me a few years ago. Since starting Uni I've also got my shit together, getting more things done in general and not wasting anywhere near as much time. Sure I still spend a lot of time on the PC, but that's now balanced with other activities :thumbsup: Life is gooooood.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    I've started getting it together. I no longer spend hours upon hours a day popping painkillers & trolling on the internet which is what I did for like 2 years. :facepalm: I've been working on my yard, it looks really good, I stepped up my workouts so I can be really toned & not just thin, I stopped blowing off my friends in favor of sitting at home like an antisocial loser, I go outside so much now I have a really nice tan, I took sewing classes to learn how to use my sewing machine & even made a few things and I go hiking every week & have taken a lot of cool pics. I still do 'questionable' stuff but I don't think that will ever change. I think the biggest thing for me was to stop the painkiller abuse. I was on a downward spiral & going nowwhere. All in all, I'm much happier than I was 6 months ago.
    Since I've been getting a lot of sun, I've felt happier. Vitamin D is good for you & I have a nice tan (not that a tan really matters...).

Great to see you're doing well. Life is an endless struggle and you just have to keep on going. Whenever I think about drinking, smoking or even doing drugs, I just read what happened to people around the world, nothing good ever comes out of it and pill abuse is something I would love to avoid all my life. Maybe I was protected because I lived in a closed off society but deep down I know I will never try those things. You just need to focus on your true self, sure everyone does questionable stuff, I mean look at me, I used to write some really messed up stuff but that just a phase and thanks to my loving personality I overcame it.

Being Anti-social isn't a bad thing, I avoid any social contact myself although I am perfectly capable of blending in, I do have urges to go out and just be somewhere but since I live in Pakistan, I know whatever I do I would only be pretending. So, keep up the good work, remember there is more to life than just drugs. I walk/run every other day and I love it, even in this really hot weather (at night it's 33-38C) I still run. I run because it's the only thing keeping me grounded to reality and it's my source of motivation.

Right now, I am living with my family. I moved back in and now I have finally decided what to do with my life. I don't plan to live in Pakistan for the rest of my life, for that I will have to work hard. I don't want to move to come Country and wash cars forever, I want to study and get my degree in a field that I love (video production) and I want to settle down in future with a girl that I know will able to work with me and become my source of power and happiness. I actually good at being myself and lonely, I rarely get depressed but I do long for some female company but considering how much I have to give to get something superficial in return, I just don't think it's worth it.

Sorry for the long rant. I just wanted to say something.