What's the best IM client to use, and why?

RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
edited August 2011 in Tech & Games
Up until about a year ago, I've been using the bog standard Windows Live Messenger. I was fed up with all the bullshit features and spangly bits, so I downloaded A-Patch to get rid of a lot of the fat, but it still ran like shit and was a killer on system resources. Afterwards, I downloaded Pidgin Messenger, which I also use when I'm on my Linux machine. I find it to be extremely light, has all the options and settings you need, and has some kick ass plugins! If I was to recommend anyone an Instant Messaging client, I'd pick Pidgin over the lot. You can even use it with TOR, as well as the OTR Plugin which is badass.

So, what do you use, and why?

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Pidgin FTW. I've been using it for many years now and I haven't looked back ever since I made the switch. Sure, you can't use a webcam with it, but fuck that - that's what I've got Skype for! I use the OTR plugin whenever I'm talking to someone from the internet (a few totseans use it) and I've got the Musictracker plugin which is also pretty cool. Like you said, it's lightweight and very basic. Just what I like :)
  • JackJack Regular
    edited August 2011
    Bitlbee, because I can keep it running in an IRC client on a shell account, meaning I don't miss messages regardless of the state of my local machine, and it doesn't have a bunch of bullshit in it (stupid fonts, emoticon images). I also don't have to spend my own machine's resources on it. Supports every IM protocol anyone gives a shit about. Twitter too. And OTR.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2011
    eh. TBO I only use MSN, so i generally go with kmess. If i'm on a GNOME system i run pidgin.

On the rare occasion i need MSN on a windows box, it's Miranda IM or pidgin
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited August 2011
    Adium ftw. Has a shitton of settings and also has this weird trick in which you can change your aol pass without having to know your security question.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited August 2011
    I still use Windows Live Messenger because I'm a hipster from the motherfucking dark ages.

I don't really see anything wrong with it yet. Sure, it can be glitchy, but a lot of people use it, and I find it easy to use, so I stick with it.
  • edited August 2011
    ^ Doing something because everyone else is doing it isn't always the best idea ;) You should stray off the track, try Pidgin or some others as it's functionality as far as plugins are concerned is great.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited August 2011
    I never meant to imply that since everyone was using it, that we all should too. I just meant it's easier to contact people with since it's such a global name. But I guess that doesn't matter since most of the other IMs can accept hotmail accounts.
  • edited August 2011
    Hell yeah. Pidgin accepts accounts from basically anywhere, including MSN, AIM IRC and many others. Hell, you can even link your Pidgin to Facebook chat if you really wanted :)
    edited August 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Hell, you can even link your Pidgin to Facebook chat if you really wanted :)

FACEBOOK IS FUCKING TAKING OVER.
  • edited August 2011
    FACEBOOK IS FUCKING TAKING OVER.

You're not the first person to say that. Take my advice and delete it before something crazy happens and the government accidentally admits to using everyone's facebook information for some massive scheme or something. I'm not sure what they're up to, but something's funky about this whole Facebook craze.

But in response to the thread, if you reeeeally wanted to add your Facebook chat to an IM client then Pidgin does it well.
  • RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
    edited August 2011
    I just converted a few friends over to Pidgin and they actually really like it. Most of them have really terrible computers as well, so they appreciated the lower amount of system resources Pidgin uses over Windows Live Messenger :D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    Using Skype, not going to bother with anything else.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    I gave up on IM about 3 years ago.
  • edited August 2011
    I converted my girlfriend to using Pidgin and she loves it compared to Windows Live Messenger. Shame that no one actually uses IM anymore except from Thirdrock and like... one other friend. They're all fagging it up on facebook :facepalm:
  • edited August 2011
    ^ I'll sign that petition. I wish you the best of luck trying to get through to Facebook though, they're a bunch of douche monglers.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    Oh an avoid using Digsby.