Hurricane Irene: GUESS THAT DEATH TOLL!

LSA KingLSA King Regular
edited August 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Shits already injured 8 people in Florida, so lets play a game. I'm putting $5K down on my predictions.

124 Dead and 268 injured w/$11 billion in damages.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    Explain what you mean when you say you are putting down 5k on your predictions?
  • xbcnfujvxbcnfujv Regular
    edited August 2011
    i hope the ones dead and injured are the ones with family members that said japan deserved the tsunami
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited August 2011
    I predict 96 dead and 211 injured.
    edited August 2011
    xbcnfujv wrote: »
    i hope the ones dead and injured are the ones with family members that said japan deserved the tsunami

I never heard or read about anyone saying that.

tumblr_lhvy7h6f0s1qa6cx6o1_500.jpg
  • EmilyEmily Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    110 killed, 236 injured, $2.2 billion in damages.
  • IllAdvisedIllAdvised Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    -3 dead, 21 injured.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited August 2011
    63 dead, $2 billion damage.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited August 2011
    24 dead, 78 injured, 13,000 evac'd. $700 mil in damages.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    Well, Paco will survive and that's all I care about. (I miss my dear Paco)
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited August 2011
    53 dead, 200 injured, 10 billion damges.
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited August 2011
    18 killed, 98 injured, 120 million in damages
  • xbcnfujvxbcnfujv Regular
    edited August 2011
    I never heard or read about anyone saying that.

tumblr_lhvy7h6f0s1qa6cx6o1_500.jpg

a large portion of red-necks voiced their opinions on cnn during the time the tsunamis were active and they were grateful the catastrophe happened.

they were looking at it as revenge for the pearl harbor attacks... as if the atomic bomb alone wasn't enough.
  • TraumTraum Regular
    edited August 2011
    I find it hard to care about natural disasters honestly. You'd think I'd sympathize since I lived through Katrina... but meh.
    edited August 2011
    xbcnfujv wrote: »
    a large portion of red-necks voiced their opinions on cnn during the time the tsunamis were active and they were grateful the catastrophe happened.

they were looking at it as revenge for the pearl harbor attacks... as if the atomic bomb alone wasn't enough.

So how any rednecks constitute a large portion? 2? 3? 10?

On another note, but speaking of disasters both natural and man made.

The first picture shows a torii still standing after the U.S. dropped an atomic bomb on the city of Nagasaki in August 1945.

1945.jpg

The second photograph is from the shrine in Otsuch after a tsunami struck that area in March 2011.

2011.jpg

Which begs the following. What the fuck do they make those arches out of?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    So how any rednecks constitute a large portion? 2? 3? 10?

On another note, but speaking of disasters both natural and man made.

The first picture shows a torii still standing after the U.S. dropped an atomic bomb on the city of Nagasaki in August 1945.

1945.jpg

The second photograph is from the shrine in Otsuch after a tsunami struck that area in March 2011.

2011.jpg

Which begs the following. What the fuck do they make those arches out of?

Okay, I am going to change my religion now.
  • RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
    edited August 2011
    112 dead, 85 injured. I have no idea what to guess as I've never experienced a hurricane before :)
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited August 2011

I hope this bitch loses every limb she has and still survives.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    12 dead, 46 injured $7 billion in damage.
  • HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
    edited August 2011
    ~15k dead, 100.000+injured
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited August 2011
    ~15k dead, 100.000+injured

I like your thinking, aim for the stars.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2011
    So far...$1.1 billion in damages and the bitch hasn't even hit lol

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/irene-losses-already-1-1-billion-more-come-203017952.html
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited August 2011
    lol bloomberg is planning to evac 250k, I live like 3 blocks from a danger zone but where I am it's a safe zone lolwdf.

It's just gonna be a pussy wind, hardware stores are making mad money selling batteries LOL
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    Box wrote: »

It's just gonna be a pussy wind,
    You're not factoring in another possible 6+ inches of rain when there's already an 8 inch surplus.
  • RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
    edited August 2011
    lol bloomberg is planning to evac 250k, I live like 3 blocks from a danger zone but where I am it's a safe zone lolwdf.

It's just gonna be a pussy wind, hardware stores are making mad money selling batteries LOL

You should set up a yard stall selling really cheap batteries :) Let us know how shit goes down, I'm pretty interested in hearing about this.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited August 2011
    You should set up a yard stall selling really cheap batteries :) Let us know how shit goes down, I'm pretty interested in hearing about this.
    Well I live in an apartment right now but I'm thinking about buying a 24 poland spring water pack and sell each bottle for 2 bucks in front of evac zones; who knows, some dumbass might buy one. Too bad we don't have that bad ass air raid siren. That would be fucking epic
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited August 2011
    does the -3 dead mean 3 births?

katrina-1836 deaths
    cat 5
    Hurricane Katrina caused at least $125 billion in economic damage and could cost the insurance industry up to $60 billion
    hurricanes_insu_2.html&docid=bkVcvazIgz0cDM&w=550&h=420&ei=EDtYTqHLJ8TYgQfd-_SQDA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=329&page=1&tbnh=155&tbnw=204&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0&tx=53&ty=86

andrew-22 deaths.
    cat 5
    I think this one is total bullshit. I have heard stories that were really fucked up with soliders taking out bodies in refrigators that were lying around etc...
    Andrew caused $26.5 billion in damage
    &docid=bV0ytAGQ0rONyM&w=450&h=221&ei=NTtYTrD6F9KSgQez7r2_DA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=391&vpy=155&dur=662&hovh=157&hovw=321&tx=210&ty=93&page=1&tbnh=105&tbnw=213&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

hurricane charley-19-20
    cat 4
    Insured Damage Total: $6,800,000,000.00
    search%3Fq%3Dhurricane%2Bcharley%2Bpictures%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=hurricane+charley+pictures&docid=zfaN4kWflXqR8M&sa=X&ei=WDtYTu2sK8LZgAfEoMSyDA&ved=0CCEQ9QEwAg&dur=263

I have been in shit tons of hurricanes. I was once hit by the same hurricane twice.For what ever reason in recent years people have been going ape shit over hurricanes. I remember when I was younger we used to play outside in cat 2 hurricanes. The building codes in Florida make your newer houses fairly safe. I think its just more media driven fear for you to stay locked in to the news channel and to go to your local hard ware store and buy shit.
    edited August 2011
    OP still has not answered my simple question.
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited August 2011
    Wait, there's a hurricane somewhere? Fuck, Australia is so out of the loop.

Eh, I'll say 34 dead, 250+ injured and 70 billion in damages.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited August 2011
    Well I live in an apartment right now but I'm thinking about buying a 24 poland spring water pack and sell each bottle for 2 bucks in front of evac zones; who knows, some dumbass might buy one.

I don't know where you live, but in Florida you have to watch that shit. Here's a link to the actual law. Its a great idea you just have to charge what you normally would, or in Florida you can get your nuts in a jam.

http://www.examiner.com/legal-news-in-national/florida-code-section-501-160-florida-s-price-gouging-statute
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    68 dead, 340 injured.
  • EmilyEmily Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    Anyone got any totals?
  • edited August 2011
    Has the hurricane passed yet or is it still going strong? Totals would be good, there must be some on Google :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    90 according to TDR.
    edited August 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    90 according to TDR.
    No, that was 19, but your paki internet fucked up the transmission in TS.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110828/BREAKINGNEWS/308280003/Tropical-Storm-Irene-death-toll-rises-least-19-victims-eight-states
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited August 2011
    Well I feel like a Paki because my power keeps going on and off.
    I need to buy me a generator dam it.
    A house down the street from me burned down today, trees down everywhere.:angry:
    I HATE bad weather!!!
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited August 2011
    according to wiki

Throughout its path, Irene caused widespread destruction and at least 27 deaths; monetary losses to the Caribbean could be as high as US$3.1 billion according to preliminary estimates.[5] Early damage estimates in the US are about $7 billion.

I'm so close.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited August 2011
    It was a fucking disappointment. I went out at 3:50 am to feel the wind, some branches here and there, nothing special. It's lulzy at how many millions the MTA lost for shutting down their subway system. No one around here in NY died I think.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    Hahahhahah, see I told you guys on TS that it's just another way to earn money and control idiots. OMG a hurricane is coming, time to drink my own piss.
  • MaxstatsMaxstats Regular
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, I spent more time taking things out of my shed and putting them back in my yard (chairs, tables, plants etc) and taking the tape off of my windows than I did cleaning the leaves up out of my yard. The news kept "downgrading" the hurricane as it was getting closer to NJ. It started as a cat 3, then 2, then 1, then when it finally hit it was a tropical storm.

My parents had to stay the weekend with me because their entire town was evacuated and no damage besides a bit of flooding happened.