I was in a snacky mood.

PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
edited September 2011 in Life
So, I made RANGOONS!

While I was makin em, I decided to add a little shallot and some prosciutto. They turned out awesome.

store bought wontons
Cream Cheese
Imitation Crab (I don't eat real crab)
shallot
Prosciutto

That's whats in em. They turned out freakin' awesome.

HPIM4234.jpg
HPIM4233.jpg

Comments

• LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited August 2011
    Don't be lazy you fucking jew, post up a recipe.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited August 2011
    Why don't you eat real crab?

Those looks a bit like these
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Why don't you eat real crab?

Those looks a bit like these

Back on subject, a recipe would be great. They look pretty easy. Reminded me of the street markets of Southall as a Kid, seeing Pakistani guys make and throw samosas into a heated bowl.
  • ShadyTrollShadyTroll Regular
    edited August 2011
    Those look good but if I were making them I would use real crab, imitation doesn't taste good, imo.
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited August 2011
    ShadyTroll wrote: »
    Those look good but if I were making them I would use real crab, imitation doesn't taste good, imo.

I got a wierd thing about the ocean. like, do you know anyone who never peed in the ocean? Me neither. And, I don't do recipes I do guides. Nobody follows recipes anyway.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited August 2011
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    I got a wierd thing about the ocean. like, do you know anyone who never peed in the ocean? Me neither. And, I don't do recipes I do guides. Nobody follows recipes anyway.
    Imitation crab is pollock.

Watch how they make it here: http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/07/traumatizing-imitation-crab-manufacturing-video/

Exactly, imitation crab meat made from surimi which is basically the hamburger of the fish world.
  • xbcnfujvxbcnfujv Regular
    edited August 2011
    So, I made RANGOONS!

those are good... we just call them cream cheese won-tons in my area... i only like them with cheese cream and a bit of finely-chopped green onion, though.

i use to make them into a FAT ball with a four-cornered top... packed with a ton cream cheese...

...damn... i'm going to make them again ASAP.
    edited August 2011
    Imitation crab is pollock.

Watch how they make it here: http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/07/traumatizing-imitation-crab-manufacturing-video/

well, thanks. Now I can't eat that anymore. For some reason I thought it was soy or tofu.
    edited August 2011
    well, thanks. Now I can't eat that anymore. For some reason I thought it was soy or tofu.

Tofu is soy.
    edited August 2011
    I know. You don't have to criticize everything I say. Get off my internet.
  • edited September 2011
    Nice, I love crab rangoons, but I make little logs. Those wonton wrappers are the shit, they are good for so many things, a nice convenient pasta product that works boiled or fried.

You are a little right about the fact that people seldom follow methods posted here, but they do add to the collective content of the site, and even though nobody will follow them precisely, they do inspire and educate. Thanks for the pics, they give a good idea of what you are talking about, and I suggest that anyone interested in making this just start with about a half pound of both surimi and cream cheese, then freestyle it from there. Seal the rangoons by wetting the edges of the wrappers with a moist finger or pastry brush and pressing lightly after they are folded. Make sure there is no air inside with the filling, otherwise they will explode. Deep frying in an open pot at home is a great way to weed out the idiots from our world, so I will offer no advice in that regard.

I like these better with decent quality fake crab better than I like them with manky canned crab, same for things like stuffed mushroom caps, so unless you are willing to throw down for some frozen crab meat, surimi will give a decent result.

C/O
    "if it tastes good, eat it, if it doesn't, take it to an overpass and throw it at traffic"
    edited September 2011
    I know. You don't have to criticize everything I say. Get off my internet.

Do you have self esteem issues. I am pointing out truths about the topic. If you can't handle being wrong then you are in for a rough life.
  • edited September 2011
    TDR, Psychotogen, take it outside please. ITT, bits of tasty goodness wrapped in a re-purposed Chinese pasta and deep fried.
    edited September 2011
    TDR, Psychotogen, take it outside please. ITT, bits of tasty goodness wrapped in a re-purposed Chinese pasta and deep fried.

Check your PM
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited September 2011
    I only buy the pastry squares when I have a thing I need to do food for if I am making samosas, however, I had been out for a walk one day and brough home a load of cherries and that was the only pastry I had (I am not good at making pastry, I have to freeze and grate butter to make even a decent shortcrust). I wiped a flan case with some butter, bit of golden caster sugar and pasted in a load of pastry squares. It was exceptionally good and I would recomend it with any soft fruit you care to try.

Goes well with some double cream. Whip it up if you are feeling fancy.