IRC Server is Down Due to Hurricane Irene Having Sex With Paco

DfgDfg Admin
edited August 2011 in Help and Suggestions
Do Not Click this unless you're on TeamSpeak

traffic.jpg

Yes, before everyone jumps around and cries OMG Totse.info can't keep up an IRC server running, Paco server is down because he is fucking Hurricane Irene. As soon as he finished making sweet love to her, you will see the server up. In the mean time, you can just come in TS and chat and play TF2 or just have fun.

Comments

• easy-eeasy-e Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    You guys are all welcome to use irc.totse2.com until your server come back online.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    easy-e wrote: »
    You guys are all welcome to use irc.totse2.com until your server come back online.

Well, TS pretty much covers the IRC part brah.
  • edited August 2011
    Thanks for the offer Easy-e. I seem to remember that I tried joining your server once before and it didn't work... That was many months ago though, lol.
  • easy-eeasy-e Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Thanks for the offer Easy-e. I seem to remember that I tried joining your server once before and it didn't work... That was many months ago though, lol.
    Yes, about 4 weeks ago I started hosting our irc on our webserver. It's much more reliable. Some of our members were hosting it on Astrolink but they are gone now. We got tired of getting booted off of other servers I figured it was time to setup my own. I don't have SSL setup yet but you guys are welcome to come on there. Port 6667.
  • edited August 2011
    That's cool. If I remember correctly, you have to reinstall the whole server software in order to get SSL up and running. Paco had to do the same thing, lolz.
  • edited August 2011
    easy-e wrote: »
    Yes, about 4 weeks ago I started hosting our irc on our webserver. It's much more reliable. Some of our members were hosting it on Astrolink but they are gone now. We got tired of getting booted off of other servers I figured it was time to setup my own. I don't have SSL setup yet but you guys are welcome to come on there. Port 6667.

I've was actually thinking about just hosting the IRC server on the totse server, but I'm unsure of how much this would damage security. How has your experience been? I'd like to do it, I just don't need the added headache of dealing with the cleanup from an exploit that takes the server down.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    I second Vineman's concerns.
  • easy-eeasy-e Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    Are you running a linux server? We are using unrealircd and I'm having trouble getting it to autostart when our windows server restarts. I've tried creating a "task" but that's not working. I think I'm going to have to write a batch file to start unrealircd and then anope services.

I've never heard of any security issues. Our server is very fast to connect to because it's got virtually no load in comparison to the large networks with nazi irc cops.

I am probably going to have to re-install also. I don't think I picked the SSL package. I can backup my config files and then re-install and copy the config files back. Shouldn't take long at all.

Personally I'd like to run IRC and other chat services, MySQL and our webhost on separate servers but that's not in the budget right now.
  • edited August 2011
    Not sure about exploits, but I know that could comprimise people's anonymity around here with IP address logging.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Not sure about exploits, but I know that could comprimise people's anonymity around here with IP address logging.

^That and we have better alternatives to IRC already.
  • edited August 2011
    IRC is cool man, it's really handy if you can't get onto alternative communications methods and it's just fun to use. Plus it's handy for phone connections as it's low bandwidth and easy to run :)
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2011
    As a quick and dirty solution someone can make a #totse channel on one of the public irc servers. efnet is one of the nicer ones.

We just need to install and host a bot to keep the room open. I tried mucking about with eggdrop and one of the free shell accounts last night but i got a headache and i didn't fully understand it.

or if someone has to a server he could create the channel and put the process in the bg.

EDIT: The process of creating a channel is not difficult. join efnet (or any open server) and join the #totse channel as if it exists, it doesn't exist so the server will create one for you and you become OP.
  • edited August 2011
    I idle in #totse.info on irc.slashnet.org if y'all want to use that one.
    As a quick and dirty solution someone can make a #totse channel on one of the public irc servers. efnet is one of the nicer ones.

We just need to install and host a bot to keep the room open. I tried mucking about with eggdrop and one of the free shell accounts last night but i got a headache and i didn't fully understand it.

or if someone has to a server he could create the channel and put the process in the bg.

EDIT: The process of creating a channel is not difficult. join efnet (or any open server) and join the #totse channel as if it exists, it doesn't exist so the server will create one for you and you become OP.