What in your opinion was best era of rock music?

GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
edited September 2011 in Spurious Generalities
After the last year of studying and playing from different era's (due to my BTEC college course), I wondered what you thought.

Personally I think its the mid 60's to early 70's, as it heralded the invention of the Statocaster and Telecaster guitars as well as the hippie era that produced so many great bands :)

Comments

• (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited August 2011
    70s. Everything was good. I'd also say 80's Punk.
  • Caramello KoalaCaramello Koala Acolyte
    edited September 2011
    68 till about 75. That's how long Deep Purple were kings.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    1955 to 1975 and the early punk era. Everything other than that is mostly rap fabricated by the grey flannel suits.
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited September 2011
    Early punk, what like, late 70s, early 80s?

Mid 80s - early 90s fucking thrashhhhh
  • JackJack Regular
    edited September 2011
    I'd say late '50s through early '70s, including the later works of the bands that started in the early '70s like Queen and the Eagles. Around that time my interest gets a bit patchy; e.g., I don't much care for KISS. I also like Motown but I don't know if that counts.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited September 2011
    Pretty much everything said above.
    edited September 2011
    Yeah this thread is pretty stupid. I mean, it's not like you can generate a lengthy discussion on what the best era of rock was. It's pretty well established that it was the 60s-70s, and there are only going to be a couple of people that say otherwise.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited September 2011
    And it's mainly because there was no such thing as rock before that, and the more modern music isn't old enough for the shit to have filtered out, which itself isn't exactly such a profoundly exciting insight as some people seem to think.
    edited September 2011
    And also, 'GoingNowhere' (just like this thread), the Telecaster was invented in 1949 (under the name Broadcaster) and the Stratocaster was invented in 1954. If anything the 60s was the mark of the Gibson SG (1961).
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited September 2011
    It could be argued 1910-1945 when the vast majority of the blues that fed the birth of rock was recorded and in influential styles came about. Rock also evolved very quickly. What I would consider one of the golden ages would be 1967-1971 - just look at the output of work from both Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones at that time. The last real hard rock band where the blues really comes out in the music was GnR up until Use Your Illusions. Although a few other hard rock bands do play blues type since then, they are just using blues as part of the song rather than using blues to craft a song.

Pretty hard to explain what I mean, but if you listen to Peter Green's versions of Robert Johnson songs, you will know what I mean by using the blues as a craft to convey music.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    ^What he is trying to say was already said better by B.B. King. "The Blues are the root and everything else is the fruit."
  • mangos756mangos756 Semo-Regulars
    edited September 2011
    Thank You.
  • xbcnfujvxbcnfujv Regular
    edited September 2011
    i like rock music that took place anywhere from the 50's to the early 80's.