Emulsifying

HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
edited October 2011 in Life
Was wondering if anyone would know a method of emulsifying without thickening. I'd like to construct a water based beverage that has various oils evenly distributed throughout. Not trying to make hollandaise though.

Comments

• LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited September 2011
    Might be able to help. Need more details.
  • HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
    edited September 2011
    Well I used coconut milk (not the kind for curries), honey, and soy lecithin. Seemed to work fine and wasn't overly thick. The oils I'm addin are essential.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Well I used coconut milk (not the kind for curries), honey, and soy lecithin. Seemed to work fine and wasn't overly thick. The oils I'm addin are essential.

Sounds good. And do you mean the oils are essential to the end result, or "essential oil" like lavender or other Hippy tings?
    edited September 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Sounds good. And do you mean the oils are essential to the end result, or "essential oil" like lavender or other Hippy tings?

Both. The first was made with german chamomile, cinnamon, and clove bud EOs @ 10 drops each per cup (it creates a cool blue frothy beverage). The second was 50 drops of nutmeg EO. Very strong tasting beverages probably won't take off in the marketplace.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited September 2011

Both. The first was made with german chamomile, cinnamon, and clove bud EOs @ 10 drops each per cup (it creates a cool blue frothy beverage). The second was 50 drops of nutmeg EO. Very strong tasting beverages probably won't take off in the marketplace.

Oilhuasca?
    edited September 2011
    been there done that. now I'm just messing around with my own combos and methods
    edited September 2011
    Make a thread in bltc?
    edited September 2011
    I made a thread in bltc awhile back and there was no interest.
    edited September 2011
    I'm interested. I tried it once with german chamomile tea and sweet basil oil, but I got crazy gross burps.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited September 2011
    depending on what the ratios are (very small amount of oil) xanthan gum will work to emulsify the oils ... making sure not to add to much as it will thicken the liquid the more you add

...or buy one of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2U2SuBiLAA&feature=related
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited October 2011
    I,m assuming you already know how to emulsify correctly right? Add the oils. vERY slowly as you, IX the shitnout of it. If you,re running into a problem keeping an emulsified concoction from seperatingni think you're out of luck. Cause they all break at some point. You have to bring them back to life.