A new advert drive in the UK from the Home Office about abusive relationships

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited September 2011 in Life
So the other week I went to the Cinema to watch the Inbetweeners movie.
Upon going into the toilet to strain my bladder, I looked up and to my surprise and bemusement, this greeted my eyes.
Wat1%20%28Medium%29.jpg

I was pretty pissed off, and although I'll never beat the shit out of a woman unless they try to kill me. Yes, kill me (but I doubt that will ever happen unless it was a Hitwoman), why must these adverts make the guys out to be the bad guy? Sure I've been implied to be a bit of a control freak at times, but this was just mental. Maybe I'm missing the amount of abuse going on here as I live in my own little bubble, but this advert drive came out of the blue. A Home Office (Govt branch - look at the bottom right of the adverts) drive has been put on to stop this apparent wave of abuse on females in relationships.
Now I am playing Devils Advocate here, I know, but if someone were to lash out at a woman, there must have been a reason for it. A girl I know who is very close to me was given a black eye form her then boyfriend, and when I asked "what the fuck happened?" she laughed it off and said "well I threw the first punch".
So I'm not saying anyone is to blame here, but why the hell do these adverts make out that all guys are lying, abusive scumbags? I'm sure women have their downsides as people I'm sure will tell you.

In fact I was so pissed off I decided to pose in front of the bigger advert (one of about 8 plastered over the Cinema) mush to the annoyance of a bunch of Alpha Male meat-heads and Jersey Shore lookalike girls.
Wat2%20%28Medium%29.jpg

So &T, what's your input?

Comments

• skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    You don't hit a woman even if she took the first swing.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited September 2011

what do you tell a woman with two black eyes?
    nothing, you already told her twice.
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited September 2011
    I find those adverts to be somewhat amusing. I'm purely talking about the choice of words. On another note I hit a guy once and I got hit back but at the time it was only appropriate. I didn't run off calling the cops or nothing it was a pretty even fight. I wouldn't say fair but it wasn't as if he was over the top when he slapped me back ya know? idk it seems like the line would be nothing but clear but it's all different shades of grey.

I agree that it isn't always the guys fault in simple instances (it's like the distinction between a bitch slap and a straight up punch in the face as if she was a man) but I think those adverts are speaking out to women and men in seriously abusively relationships, like the kind you see on television or in documentaries.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited September 2011
    "Men are the bad guys" - Females

No matter what happens, men are the bad guys. If you're doing something, you turn around and accidentally put your elbow into a female, you're an attacker. Simple as that.

"NOPE WE CAN'T HIT MEN, US WOMEN ARE WEAK!" but if you call a woman weak; "NO NO WE ARE NO WEAK WE ARE JUST AS STRONG AS YOU."
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    If it makes anyone feel better I stole one of the adverts and stuffed it down my trousers for shits and giggles. Gonna put it on my Uni door.
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited September 2011
    i guess that makes me feel better :D
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    I would just like to clarify that by "sticking it down my trousers for shits and giggles" I am not implying I get off on having a papercut penis. I just had a spur-of-the-moment urinal session (as said in the first paragraph) and thought "y'know what? fuck this...".
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited September 2011
    I just don't see the point, a poster isn't going to stop somebody smacking his missus.

As for wife beaters, they are only as bad as the women who keep going back to them.
  • edited September 2011
    The thing is, the people who beat their wives aren't going to stop and think twice about it when they see a poster :facepalm: Waste of government money, IMO.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited September 2011
    The only way that men who DO hit their wives will learn, is if they had someone move in with them and beat on them for every little thing they do wrong.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    skunk wrote: »
    You don't hit a woman even if she took the first swing.

So what you are saying is that a female should get away with assaulting a male. Basically not hitting them back is telling them that their behaviour is acceptable. Some double standard that is. Women always get away with assaulting a man yet if a man assaults a female then the book is thrown at him by the courts, Shit fucks me off big time.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited September 2011
    The only way that men who DO hit their wives will learn, is if they had someone move in with them and beat on them for every little thing they do wrong.

But only when you're drunk.
    You have to give him hugs and kisses every so often, just so he thinks you really do love him.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited September 2011
    I see skunk is still a beta-male. Oh, boohoo, some bitch doesn't grasp the concept of listening so she gets a smack in the chops, big deal. All independent until things don't go their way.