Afghanistan has over $1T worth of Minerals?

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited September 2011 in Spurious Generalities
(Reuters) - Untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan may be worth more than $1 trillion, a finding that could reshape the country's economy and help U.S. efforts to bolster the war-battered government, Pentagon officials said on Monday.

Now I know this is old but I don't give a fuck, I just think it's a very odd finding in a place where people scream about Oil. Also does this not ring alarm bells as Lithium is a metal they found there, and this is used for batteries - which I could go onto conspiracy theories about Green Energy, but I will leave that to you.

Read more.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    Lithium is the biggie over there. That all ties into the global warming scam. They are going to control what we can buy with the whole green movement bullshit. This means they will need a huge supply of lithium for all the battery operated shit we will be using/driving/having shoved up our asses at inflated prices which will make the rat fucks richer.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Lithium is the biggie over there. That all ties into the global warming scam. They are going to control what we can buy with the whole green movement bullshit. This means they will need a huge supply of lithium for all the battery operated shit we will be using/driving/having shoved up our asses at inflated prices which will make the rat fucks richer.

Ain't that the truth.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited September 2011
    Haiti also reportedly has about a TRILLION or more in minerals right off its coast in the ocean, which many suspect is why the U.S. has continually tried to intervene anyway it can into Haiti's problems whenever something bad strikes.
    edited September 2011
    I would not be surprised one bit to learn there is vast mineral wealth off the coast of Argentina (Falkland Islands) as well.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    I would not be surprised one bit to learn there is vast mineral wealth off the coast of Argentina (Falkland Islands) as well.

Actually this. I did wonder why the UK gave so much of a shit over a few Islands and British people. Don't get me wrong - I'm sure any powerful Nation such as the USA would go outof their way to rescus their Citizens, but I do wonder. Not least the Belgrano etc.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    I was thinking more in terms of the massive diamond and gold mines in afghanistan more than a lithium racket.
    edited September 2011
    skunk wrote: »
    I was thinking more in terms of the massive diamond and gold mines in afghanistan more than a lithium racket.

That is because you lack the vision to put two and two together. But you are young enough that you will live to see it is about the lithium and not the gold.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    Don't forget the poppy and cannabis fields US soldiers are protecting...

Even more photos of US nato troops patrolling opium fields in Afghanistan

We spend over $10 billion a year on the war on drugs, and yet our troops are patrolling poppy and cannabis fields. What the fuck is wrong with this picture?
    edited September 2011
    You are a class A moron who lets others do your thinking for you. Based on two photos, neither of which shows US soildiers, (look at the headgear) youo assume that US troops are "patrolling" dope fields for the purpose of what? Cultivating it for sale? That is just ludicrous. If the U.S. Government wanted to grow dope they would do it here where they could harvest it without the expense of an overseas war. The sad fact is NATO troops (the US included) are the police force for the banker/industrial cartel that really runs this world.

But hey, why should I try to teach a pig to sing? I am only gong to frustrate myself and annoy you.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    1). Since you have such a tough time reading captions I'll post them for you.
    PATROL BASE SHARK, Helmand province, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan - Marines and Afghan National Army soldiers patrol through farmlands outside the base recently. Behind the small poppy field in the front of the photo is a wheat field. The local farmers are growing more and more of the wheat as an alternative to growing the illegal poppy.

U.S. Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Jason Phillips crosses a poppy field as Marines conduct a security patrol outside Forward Operating Base Hanson, Marjah, Afghanistan, April 30, 2011. The security patrol was done in order for Marines to inspect the well being of a nearby village. Phillips is with Guard Force, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marines, Regimental Combat Team 1. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Alberto B. Vazquez/Released)

U.S. Marine Corps Cpl. James K. Peters stands in an opium poppy field while performing a foot patrol at Sangin, Afghanistan, May 19, 2011. Peters and his fellow Marines assigned to Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 8, are familiarizing the battalion?s commander with their area of operation during the patrol. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Cpl. Jeremy C. Harris/Released)

I think you get the point.

2). I never mentioned anything about the government selling it, you did. The CIA is well known for their illicit drug smuggling activities however....
    edited September 2011

2). I never mentioned anything about the government selling it, you did. The CIA is well known for their illicit drug smuggling activities however....

Look at the helmets and not the captions. :facepalm: That is what I mean about letting others do you thinking.

Skunk: I read it under a picture on the internet so it must be true.

*EDIT* even in the one phote that might be US troops, if you knew the first thing about squad level tactics you would be able to see that they are moving through an area and using the walls for cover.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    Pretty interesting that the taliban had banned poppy growing under their rule, yet post-invasion Afghan-grown poppy accounts for 93% of the world supply. Coincidence I'm sure.
    edited September 2011
    What does that have to do with anything. Do you really think that the international banking cartels that pull NATO's strings like master puppeteers are concerned about the chump change that the world heroin trade generates compared the the vast wealth they control? They are there for the lithium as I have already explained. But you are do short sighted you refuse to see it. So you carry on with your misconceptions and I will sit here secure in the knowledge that time will prove me right once more.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    $60 billion a year isn't a small chunk of change. I think you're right though, we are ultimately in Afghanistan for the resources whether they be drugs or minerals the point is moot.
    edited September 2011

PATROL BASE SHARK, Helmand province, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan - Marines and Afghan National Army soldiers patrol through farmlands outside the base recently. Behind the small poppy field in the front of the photo is a wheat field. The local farmers are growing more and more of the wheat as an alternative to growing the illegal poppy.

U.S. Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Jason Phillips crosses a poppy field as Marines conduct a security patrol outside Forward Operating Base Hanson, Marjah, Afghanistan, April 30, 2011. The security patrol was done in order for Marines to inspect the well being of a nearby village. Phillips is with Guard Force, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marines, Regimental Combat Team 1. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Alberto B. Vazquez/Released)

U.S. Marine Corps Cpl. James K. Peters stands in an opium poppy field while performing a foot patrol at Sangin, Afghanistan, May 19, 2011. Peters and his fellow Marines assigned to Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 8, are familiarizing the battalions commander with their area of operation during the patrol. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Cpl. Jeremy C. Harris/Released)

Talk about someone who has trouble with reading comprehension. :facepalm:
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    It is quite amazing how the News can manipulate your thoughts and emotions through captions. This is why I am adament everyone lives life to the full in order to understand that situation, or know of someone who can educate them about the one being portrayed in the News.
    As for Taliban and Opiates, they only take about 10% of the profits which, yes, are still a fair amount. However I will be quite interested to see how, once the "pullout strategy" is implemented into Afghanistan, how private contractors will move in and mine the minerals. It will be like the Wild West :facepalm: shame we couldn't let those who live their have it. I'd rather see an old bearded dude learn Geology than sell Opium.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited September 2011
    I hope they find some rare earth metals over there so that China no longer has nearly all of the world's supply. Speaking of China, according to the article in the OP, the Chinese are already investing in Afghanistan's mineral wealth. What's interesting is that the lithium deposits aren't even included in the 1 trillion dollar claim of minerals. It's much more valuable over there than we're being told.

Also, those are obviously US marines in the pictures that skunk linked to. The pictures however, don't suggest that marines are guarding the fields. If poppy field destruction is a priority in that area, they'll mark it on a map and then continue their mission
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    The fact the opium trade has exploded post-invasion tells me we aren't doing jack shit to stop the growing of poppy. Whether or not we are protecting the fields is irrelevant, they're not being destroyed, and yet we're fighting a war on drugs in the US which attempts to eradicate it at home. It doesn't make any sense at all. We need to end the war on drugs, or burn all the fields down simple as that.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2011
    Fuck the drugs, Opium etc is jackshit, I side with TDR. Because it makes SENSE! Don't look at the present, think about the future. They people who run things aren't idiots. Plus, green power is always in demand in Pakistan, hell we even have a booming market for it here.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    Did you know there was also a plan to build a natural gas pipeline (Trans-Afghanistan pipeline) through afghanistan?

0619pipelinegraphicbig.jpg

Source

This is also a great map, its been circulating on the web for a while:

wartheatre.jpg
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited September 2011

We have been oil prospecting their for quite some time, large discoveries have been anounced in recent weeks. The reason the British are so protective of the Falklands is that:

1. The people that live there identify themselves as British subjects.

2. The main justification for the British claim on Antartic teritory is our ownership of the Falklands and South Sandwich islands. Now thats the place we will be digging up within 50 years - never been and prospected ther myself but from what I have read its choc full of mineral wealth.

Logistically, it will be a nightmare getting the goods out of Afghanistan. Traditionally, Western business has always taken the raw material and processed it elsewhere - it makes sense to do so - in country processing would give that country not only the raw material, but the means to produce a product which which they can control a market. Processing out of country means you are not keep all eggs in one basket and risking civil war, invasion, insurgency and that government dictating supply and price.

Added to that Afghanistan is a landlocked country and the only real way to the sea is over the mountains (bandit country, good times building and maintiaining a rail route) and through Pakistan - another unreliable country. One of the main reasons the British could never hold Afghanistan when it invaded and took control in the past is that railways to service supply lines just could not be built and maintained.

I would not be surprised if raw minerals were turned into slurry and pumped out - easier and faster to build than a railway, but with higher long term maintainence.

With regards to the Afgan opium trade, the Taliban allowed it to flourish after the invasion for several reasons.

1. Cashflow.
    2. To develop and maintain smuggling routes - where drugs can go out, arms and people can come in
    3. To send cheap, hard drugs to the West. I would wager more people within a couple of hundred miles of me have died from OD'ing on cheap smack than the total number of US and UK troops killed in Afghanistan. Not to mention those that have had any kind of productive life robbed from them by their addiction to hard drugs.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    The taliban had banned poppy production before the invasion, we have done a pretty good job wiping them out. Our allies, the northern alliance, are the biggest opium producers in the world.
    edited September 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    We have been oil prospecting their for quite some time, large discoveries have been anounced in recent weeks. The reason the British are so protective of the Falklands is that:

1. The people that live there identify themselves as British subjects.

2. The main justification for the British claim on Antartic teritory is our ownership of the Falklands and South Sandwich islands. Now thats the place we will be digging up within 50 years - never been and prospected ther myself but from what I have read its choc full of mineral wealth.

Logistically, it will be a nightmare getting the goods out of Afghanistan. Traditionally, Western business has always taken the raw material and processed it elsewhere - it makes sense to do so - in country processing would give that country not only the raw material, but the means to produce a product which which they can control a market. Processing out of country means you are not keep all eggs in one basket and risking civil war, invasion, insurgency and that government dictating supply and price.

Added to that Afghanistan is a landlocked country and the only real way to the sea is over the mountains (bandit country, good times building and maintiaining a rail route) and through Pakistan - another unreliable country. One of the main reasons the British could never hold Afghanistan when it invaded and took control in the past is that railways to service supply lines just could not be built and maintained.

I would not be surprised if raw minerals were turned into slurry and pumped out - easier and faster to build than a railway, but with higher long term maintainence.

With regards to the Afgan opium trade, the Taliban allowed it to flourish after the invasion for several reasons.

1. Cashflow.
    2. To develop and maintain smuggling routes - where drugs can go out, arms and people can come in
    3. To send cheap, hard drugs to the West. I would wager more people within a couple of hundred miles of me have died from OD'ing on cheap smack than the total number of US and UK troops killed in Afghanistan. Not to mention those that have had any kind of productive life robbed from them by their addiction to hard drugs.

Now this is the level of intelligence I love to see you operate at dr rocker. :thumbsup:
    The taliban had banned poppy production before the invasion, we have done a pretty good job wiping them out. Our allies, the northern alliance, are the biggest opium producers in the world.

Really, the New York Times? I suppose you have never heard of yellow journalism.

Skunk: I read it in one newspaper so it has to be the gospel truth with no biased whatsoever.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    :facepalm:

How about the UNODC?

UNODC 2001 Annual Poppy Survey (PDF)

Cultivation: An estimated 7,606 hectares (Ha) of opium poppy was cultivated in Afghanistan during the 2001 season. This represents a reduction in total poppy area of 91% compared to last year’s estimate of 82,172 Ha. Helmand Province, the highest cultivating province last year with 42,853 Ha, recorded no poppy cultivation in the 2001 season. Nangarhar, the second highest cultivating province last year with 19,747 Ha is reported to have 218 Ha this year. Almost all major former poppy growing provinces had no poppy or relatively small areas under cultivation this year. The reductions are clearly the result of the implementation of the opium poppy ban.

edited September 2011
    :facepalm:

How about the UNODC?

UNODC 2001 Annual Poppy Survey (PDF)

LOL @ the UN. Open your eyes my fluffy little lamb before you grow fat on you spoon fed meal and wind up as mutton on the farmers table.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    You truly are a moron. How about your beloved state department?

http://www.state.gov/www/regions/sa/facts_taliban_drugs.html
    Taliban's Bans on Poppy Cultivation Lack Credibility
    • The United States funded a non-governmental organization to improve this irrigation system for alternative crops in 1998 and 1999 in a failed effort to test the Taliban leadership's sincerity on narcotics control.
    • The Taliban decreed a ban on opium in August 1997 and in 1999 ordered a one-third decrease in poppy cultivation. No positive results were reported from either action.
    • On July 28, 2000, Taliban leader Mullah Omar issued a ban on the cultivation and trafficking of opium and repeated this ban in October, ordering the Taliban to plow up fields planted to poppy. The international community will monitor these developments closely.
    • There have been media reports that the Taliban have arrested some farmers in Nangarhar province for sowing poppy (but not in Helmand). Even so, credible reports from counter-narcotics officials in neighboring states report that drugs from Afghanistan are "bursting" across their borders.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    Here's some more

national criminal justice service

The 2001 Asian illicit opium crop declined 77 percent to hit its lowest levels since estimates began in the mid-1980's. Much of this decline was due to the Taliban's ban on poppy cultivation in Afghanistan, which had been the world's leader in opium production since 1998.

PBS.org: From Poppy Field to Western Markets: Opium Production in Afghanistan
    In the 1990s, Afghanistan became the world’s largest producer of opium poppy, the plant whose pods are used to make opium, heroin and morphine. The Taliban’s 2000 ban on poppy cultivation drastically reduced crop yields, but a fresh ban introduced in January 2002 by the Afghan Interim Administration has proven less effective.

International Journal of Drug Policy (PDF)

From late 2000 and the year that followed, the Taliban enforced a ban on poppy farming via threats, forced eradication, and public punishment of transgressors. The result was a 99% reduction in the area of opium poppy farming in Taliban-controlled areas.
    edited September 2011
    Nobody is arguing that most of the poppy is not grown in Aghanafuckacamlestan. What we are trying to point out to you is that is not why NATO is there. :facepalm: An opinion that you seemed fixated on to the point of abandoning reason.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    Nobody is arguing that most of the poppy is not grown in Aghanafuckacamlestan. What we are trying to point out to you is that is not why NATO is there. An opinion that you seemed fixated on to the point of abandoning reason.

You're kidding right? I wouldn't have continued to post sources regarding the taliban ban on poppy production if you didn't scrutinize the new york times and UN. What you seem to be missing is that most of the poppy IS grown in Afghanistan. There was a massive increase in poppy production post US invasion of Afghanistan, mostly fueled by our allies the northern alliance.

The brother of the president, Ahmed Wali Karzai, was on the CIA payroll prior to his death. He also happened to be a drug smuggler.
    Really, the New York Times? I suppose you have never heard of yellow journalism. Skunk: I read it in one newspaper so it has to be the gospel truth with no biased whatsoever.
    LOL @ the UN. Open your eyes my fluffy little lamb before you grow fat on you spoon fed meal and wind up as mutton on the farmers table.
    We're clearly in Afghanistan for resources, illicit poppy is just part of that portfolio.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited September 2011
    You truly are a moron. How about your beloved state department?

http://www.state.gov/www/regions/sa/facts_taliban_drugs.html

[/LIST]

How about a healthy does of reality - the taliban only banned heroin production in an atempt pre-invasion to get recognition from the UN as the full and legitimate government of Afghanistan and the international development money that would have then flowed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/1323147/Talibans-heroin-double-cross.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/drugs-for-guns-how-the-afghan-heroin-trade-is-fuelling-the-taliban-insurgency-817230.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/20/wikileaks-cables-taliban-heroin-stockpile

The simple fact is, the taliban wanted to be seen to be stamping out on the opium trade - they hold no ideological or religouse beliefs that it is wrong to supply 'kaffirs' with the poison to kill themselves.

You post stating the taliban banned opium poppy production before the invasion has no merit in the argument you seemed to have used it being that I stated the taliban let the trade flourish after the invasion. Two very different points in time.

Also, have we done such a good job of wiping out the taliban? The presence of over 130,000 foreign troops in Afghanistan would suggest not.