Fried duck?

pedicatiopedicatio Acolyte
edited October 2011 in Life
When it comes to fast food, why is it all fried chicken?
Why no fried duck?
Isn't duck better, with all that red meat and stuff?

Comments

• LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited September 2011
    I would assume you can get chicken by the masses than duck...because i don't think duck is grown as commercially as chicken...most likely cheaper too..
  • HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
    edited September 2011
    The way the bones flesh of a duck are structured differently.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2011
    In Asia/ME a lot of people eat pigeons. In the west we don't regard them as edible (save an emergency). The English speaking world must be utopia for pigeons.
  • pedicatiopedicatio Acolyte
    edited September 2011
    The way the bones flesh of a duck are structured differently.

What do you mean?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    In Asia/ME a lot of people eat pigeons. In the west we don't regard them as edible (save an emergency). The English speaking world must be utopia for pigeons.

Pigeons are actually winged rats. There are two types of winged rats, terran and aquatic. Seagulls are the aquatic variety of winged rats.

As for duck, like Lethargica said it is all about commercial viability. Chickens are dumber than Spectral and therefore easier to huddle into small areas for a lif of slavery before being slaughtered. Plus they can not fly. Duck are more intelligent and can fly. Therefore the cost of Kentucky Fried Duck would price fast food out of the market.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Duck, pancake, hoi sin and a good movie.
    Can't beat it.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    I love duck, and Fried duck sounds even better :D
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited September 2011
    This makes me want to try tempura battered confit duck leg.
    edited September 2011
    As for duck, like Lethargica said it is all about commercial viability. Chickens are dumber than Spectral and therefore easier to huddle into small areas for a lif of slavery before being slaughtered. Plus they can not fly. Duck are more intelligent and can fly. Therefore the cost of Kentucky Fried Duck would price fast food out of the market.
    I don't understand the commercial viability aspect. Ducks grow fast, breed a lot. The reason why the supply is currently so low is because of the low demand. As for the flying part, that's not a problem at all. Lots of people clipped the wings of their parrots to prevent them from flying.

People tend to rave about how awesome duck tastes, but the fact is, they don't really like it right? Which explains the low demand...
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited September 2011
    Well based on the argument that you have to clip a ducks wings, is why chickens are more commercially grown...it takes work to clip off wings, but for chickens, you don't need to because they grow to adulthood in about a month, and their bones are still brittle because their body is fully grown, but the bones havn't developed any strength..so they can't even walk.
    edited September 2011
    Clipping wings is fast and easy. Spread wings and trim feathers with scissors.

Most chicken are capable of walking, except broiler chicken. Broiler chicken gain weight so fast their legs can't support their weight.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited September 2011
    1.ducks have less meat on them.
    2.duck has a richer taste making it less likely to sell (think lamb burger)
    3.people are idiots
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    pedicatio wrote: »
    Clipping wings is fast and easy. Spread wings and trim feathers with scissors.

Most chicken are capable of walking, except broiler chicken. Broiler chicken gain weight so fast their legs can't support their weight.

Sure thing, now do that this many times.

indian-poultry-farm.jpg

m-5245.jpg
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited October 2011
    You ever had peking duck? How they make the skin so crispy is they pack it full of kosher salt for a few days to suck all the moisture out of it before they cook it. Good stuff. It's too expensive to be fast food.