Pretty weird day.

ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
edited September 2011 in Spurious Generalities
So, a few days ago, I got asked to come back into my old high-school and tell a bunch of snotty 15-16 year olds that math is important. Stupidly, I said yes. I ended up walking around my old high school for a few hours since I got there stupidly early. I spoke to a few of my old teachers, saw what was new, all that crap. While waiting around, I managed to see some shitty small poster thing for not to do crime. It's hard for me explain it.. so luckily I got a picture.
IMG20110921_004.jpg

I then decided to go for a piss. The bathroom was a weird greyish white, and smelt like.. well... piss. (duh) but while I was pissing, I noticed to see this scribbled on the wall;
IMG20110921_003.jpg
Wow, this guy was a genius :facepalm:

So after I gave this shitty speech to the kids about why math is important, I decided to visit my friends in their new college. It looked pretty good, I managed to get a picture of some library shit they're building.
IMG20110921_005.jpg

So, my day was pretty good. Questions?

Comments

• BurnBurn Regular
    edited September 2011
    Hahah, you seem to be doing a fair bit of school-based volunteer work lately, good on ya:thumbsup:
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited September 2011
    It was just coincidence. But, funny thing, I was going to go to that college, but they didn't want to take me, and a lot of the teachers wanted me to go there to finish off my shit, and one of the teachers gave me a good word because the school I volunteer at is the school his kid goes too, and I sometimes have to look after her because he Dad is at meetings.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Fair play for doing it. I wish I could go back and tell kids/college students who think they know everything to actually keep their options open and not be so down and out about the world.
    Plus that school looks funky as. My Primary school (when I moved there in the last year from London) had no walls between classrooms and was white, minimalist.

You work it out. I never got my head round it.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited September 2011
    I did this huge assed mural in the hall of my old school when I was a student there. They thought to call me 10yrs later to see if I'd be interested in doing an external mural. I was like all keen and shit until they suggested some of the snot nosed ankle biters helped me.
  • edited September 2011
    Wow, you actually had to talk to a bunch of people from high school? Last time I was there I sorta had the impression that none of them wanted to learn anything at all - I assume they're all still a bunch of chavs? Seems stupid that they're building a new college thing as no one is going to be smart enough to use it at the end of the day :facepalm:
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited September 2011
    The college looks beautiful; but it's three stories tall, and there isn't anything much more than 100 students going there. The thing is fucking huge, but it looks totally bare. But it isn't finished yet, they're still putting sofas in and shit.
  • edited September 2011
    That's pretty cool. Yesterday I found out that my Uni is a lot bigger than I originally thought... It's fucking mahoosive. Incredible stuff though - looking forward to starting my course properly. Is the college a sixth form or just a regular college? I just love how my life plan has been carried out to perfection. Ever since my last year at the school in your picture, I've;

Realised what a bunch of morons the majority of people are in that school (our year was good, the ones below us were chavs).
    Decided that I didn't want to be like that, and got my head down for some hardcore working.
    Got the grades I needed for college.
    Went to college, got into Uni.

Now all that's left is to do well here, get myself a good career lined up and live my dream :D Can't fuckin' wait!
  • JackedJacked Regular
    edited September 2011
    Off topic, what's the difference between college and Uni and what's before college.?
  • LordWormLordWorm Regular
    edited September 2011
    Jacked wrote: »
    Off topic, what's the difference between college and Uni and what's before college.?

Colleges are typically smaller and feature less extensive course programming. Some however offer many of the same first and second year classes as a University at significantly reduced tuition costs, so many people (Myself included) choose to complete the first year of their chosen degree at a college to save money. After the conclusion of one or two years of study, one typically transfers to Uni to finish the remainder.
    trx100 wrote: »
    I just love how my life plan has been carried out to perfection. Ever since my last year at the school in your picture, I've;

Realised what a bunch of morons the majority of people are in that school (our year was good, the ones below us were chavs).
    Decided that I didn't want to be like that, and got my head down for some hardcore working.
    Got the grades I needed for college.
    Went to college, got into Uni.

Now all that's left is to do well here, get myself a good career lined up and live my dream :D Can't fuckin' wait!

Good for you, trx. I wish I would have figured out what you did while I was still in high school.

Trust me, slacking off and utilizing <10% of your potential in high school, then having to start from the bottom and fight your way into an engineering program that you should have received a full scholarship for is NOT the ideal way to experience life. And even so, I still consider myself lucky to have the raw ability to at least partially rectify my situation as quickly and easily as I did. Most people who follow my original path end up working in a dead end job for the rest of their natural lives, or worse. Stay in school kids.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    LordWorm wrote: »
    Colleges are typically smaller and feature less extensive course programming. Some however offer many of the same first and second year classes as a University at significantly reduced tuition costs, so many people (Myself included) choose to complete the first year of their chosen degree at a college to save money. After the conclusion of one or two years of study, one typically transfers to Uni to finish the remainder.

Good for you, trx. I wish I would have figured out what you did while I was still in high school.

Trust me, slacking off and utilizing <10% of your potential in high school, then having to start from the bottom and fight your way into an engineering program that you should have received a full scholarship for is NOT the ideal way to experience life. And even so, I still consider myself lucky to have the raw ability to at least partially rectify my situation as quickly and easily as I did. Most people who follow my original path end up working in a dead end job for the rest of their natural lives, or worse. Stay in school kids.

They mean different things in the UK than in the US.
    edited September 2011
    Here's the system as I experienced it.

Nursery/Reception - 3 to 4 years old

Infant School - 5 to 6 years old (Key Stage 1)

Primary School - 7 to 10 years old (Key Stage 2)

Secondary School - 11 to 16 years old (Key Stage 3 and GCSEs)

College - 17 to 18 years old (AS and A Levels/BTEC)

University - 18 to 21 years old (excluding gap year), (Degree)
  • LordWormLordWorm Regular
    edited September 2011
    They mean different things in the UK than in the US.

I completely forgot that trx is in the UK.:facepalm:
    edited September 2011
    LordWorm wrote: »
    I completely forgot that trx is in the UK.:facepalm:

Yeah, I figured you had overlooked that bro. I asked Remade the same question once in TS but I figured I would wait for one of the Limeys to answer instead of fucking it up myself. :thumbsup:
    edited September 2011
    I managed to get a few pictures. I couldn't get more, because I didn't really want to be caught taking photos of random shit like a tourist. Anyway, usually when I have to cut shit up, I use the guillotine, (Don't worry, the type that cuts paper!) so I managed to get a nice tag on that with an old piece of paper that I just cut up!
    IMG20110923_003.jpg
    And while I was in there, I managed to see a box that had this on there...
    IMG20110923_001.jpg
    Uh, yeah. I was slightly surprised, since this isn't even a catholic school! I joke, of course, as you can see Ass. is shorted, but I don't know what it's shortened for. Either way, it's quite funny.

I'll get more next Friday :D
    edited September 2011
    :facepalm: @ the instructor who made that poorly thought out abbreviation.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2011
    We don't have colleges here. I think when Trx refers to college he means a technical school, were one learns a vocational skill. The institution is called TAFE here. They usually offer a pathway to dedicated students who wish to continue study at uni.

Community colleges in the USA.

I have a question for you Americans: How does someone learn a trade (such as carpentry) in th US, is it entirely apprentice based?
    edited September 2011
    We don't have colleges here. I think when Trx refers to college he means a technical school, were one learns a vocational skill. The institution is called TAFE here. They usually offer a pathway to dedicated students who wish to continue study at uni.

I have a question for you Americans: How does someone learn a trade (such as carpentry) in th US, is it entirely apprentice based?

You find a caprenter/plumber/electrician who needs a helper/gopher and work your ass off.
  • edited September 2011
    LOL at the Ass Bows. What the fuck was that person thinking?! :facepalm:
    edited September 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    LOL at the Ass Bows. What the fuck was that person thinking?! :facepalm:

tumblr_kwscmpA5kA1qaj53yo1_400.jpg
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited September 2011

FUCKING LOL
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited September 2011

There are vocational schools for that. There was actually one directly behind my high school.
    edited September 2011

Well you got that right :eek:
    This Nation is in an odd way. One year we have too many Graduates, the next too many Apprentices. Make your mind up UK!