First lecture, first bitch and moan. Woohoo!

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
So I swaggered down to the lecture, knowing I had a meeting with the rest of my course "buddies" with the new head of Faculty.
My heart sank as I came into that room as it was the one lecturer I have not got on with since my first day at University. As he declared with his shit-eating grin that "I am your new boss" and then talked some more, my facepalm urge was getting more and more.

Anyway, he then asked "would anyone be interested in meeting some Graduates from here who have actually succeeded in life?" and to which everyone bar me put their hand up. What a loaded question.

He looked at me, and singled out my response.

"Well looks like someone will be on welfare here" he smirked.
"[Lecturer's name]" I replied
"I know you've waited for years to get this promotion, and I've waited all Summer to speak to you. It's only fair that I give you the chance to piss away your promotion, and you've done it. There's a complaints system, and combined with unfair treatment towards me on your part, I will be making a complaint. Get bent."

I stayed the rest of the lecture and people actually moved away from me. It all came out as a garbled rush, but I think I got the message across.
I now have to go see him at 4:30pm today. Seriously. Is this world built for Students who sit there and nod, accepting everything as Gospel? I can't wait to be done here. Panama?

Panama.

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2011
    These self-important of some academics both amuse and infuriate me. Keep an eye out, he'll do everything he can to give you a bad grade. The amount of condescension some of them have is amazing.
    It's unbelievable the amount of bullshit people are willing to swallow if it comes from a lectern. I wonder why it happens. The ability to critically analyse what's being said just disappears. It could just be apathy or the 'yes man' syndrome. Seeing as they all moved away from you it's probably more the latter.

In all honestly mate, you may just want to hang low and not stir too much shit. No one really gives a shit about academic stimulation and you're not going to reform him. Echo his view on everything and be done with it.

Sometimes i lament the death of university/college as a 'place of ideas'. Since the late 60s (after the Wests cultural revolutions) the institutions have been slowly eroded.

Things like that don't happen in my course, the classes are too big. I'm identified by student number like everyone else.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited September 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    As he declared with his shit-eating grin that "I am your new boss"...

...Anyway, he then asked "would anyone be interested in meeting some Graduates from here who have actually succeeded in life?" and to which everyone bar me put their hand up. What a loaded question.

I am guessing you do not have a lot of students on you course who would stand up for themselves. This is the problem with university. It is full of wanker students who go to get some shitty letters after their name 95% of them would never have call to use. Sure, they can advance career prosepects with a degree, but the real purpose of doing a degree is that you learn to challenge everything that is put to you. You seem able to do this, but to get a real edge - do it in a thoughtful and reasoned way.

Simply question everything that is not 100% clear and even stuff that is. Life is not about finding the answers, it is about asking the right questions.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    You guys have hit the nail on the head. It seems University is no longer a place to challenge and ask questions - rather take it all like a slut going for the moneyshot.
    I'll be keeping my head down but I don't want this guy marking my Dissertation. He isn't related to the modern History my work is related to, and so that combined with his (and my) attitude will just cause me to leave with the bitter aforementioned spunky taste in my mouth....and debt.

Fuck. It seems like university turns you into a slut of the Man.

/moment of realisation
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, yeah, we know you hate university and your lecturers and the tough life that students have (:rolleyes:)... WE GET IT. Of course the education system is a shit pit now, it's a bastion of neo-liberalism and full of leftists. Go along with it, suck it up and have fun off site and out of lectures. Yeah, university makes a good go of turning as many people as it can on to seeing everything through marxist critical theory, I like to call it a culture of critique, tearing at the very thread of life until there's nothing but nothing ness, but I won't get started on the material aspects of marxism or it's stupid bullshit critical theory (termed otherwise as social marxism, which is what political correctness has its roots in) , which excretes nothing but sheer idiocy, denial and leftism.

Put up with it, but don't ever swallow that bullshit, until you're at a stage where you want to be and TURN on everything they tried to force on you with full politically incorrect fury. I'll be amongst the greats like Galton one day, and leading the crusade of realism with those such as Lynn-Jensen-Rushton. Seriously, I'm sick of people like you and their shit whining threads about their not as exciting as they'd wish/make out, not to mention when it's repeatedly. If someone cannot overcome the problems of this life, how can they hope to be ready for the much greater problems of Life and what lies beyond it?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Negrophobe wrote: »
    Put up with it, but don't ever swallow that bullshit, until you're at a stage where you want to be and TURN on everything they tried to force on you with full politically incorrect fury. I'll be amongst the greats like Galton one day, and leading the crusade of realism with those such as Lynn-Jensen-Rushton. Seriously, I'm sick of people like you and their shit whining threads about their not as exciting as they'd wish/make out, not to mention when it's repeatedly. If someone cannot overcome the problems of this life, how can they hope to be ready for the much greater problems of Life and what lies beyond it?

Because you only hear the negatives. It's not often I brag about the successes of my life here.

However your views on Lefties at University is damn true. As for life? Well I was told I'll be dead at the age of 30. If that isn't motivation then I don't know what is.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited September 2011
    A lot of the females at university infuriate me too, they should only be educated upto the age of 16; they really don't get any smarter or mentally mature after that and then lose sight of what they actually want in life, unlike adolescent females who actually know what they want, which is to be treated like an adult woman. It's hard enough as it is to find loving housewife material as it is, but the best ones are the ones who are in their early 20s (get them before they hit 28... maybe even 23) and look younger, have round peachy asses and do part time cleaning shifts (yes, there are some young cleaners). Ideally though, in the future, they should be barred from the workplace too.

Luckily, my course is flexible and I can do a lot of it from home.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited October 2011
    College already straight up pisses me off, not looking forward to Uni in a year or two if I'm lucky lol. Everyone working there is a bunch of self-righteous pricks and I swear the teaching actually makes you dumber when it isn't condescending. Professors need a straight up ass kicking and an education in how to fucking teach because you don't get that from attending a class somewhere in your college career. They can't break things down to a level needed to actual learn and retain shit and then get frustrated when they are forced to because nobody gets WTF they're talking about. Not to mention the absolute CRIME of tuition and book costs to get a bullshit half-assed education where I'm graded not based off learning or progress, but how well I answer the questions and material they give me. It's literally like paying some dumb ass to hold your degree over your head and then saying, now that you have my money you make the rules and you really don't even have to give a shit about whether you want to pass me or not.

It was my second Math teacher that completely ruined the college experience for me with his half-assed teaching where half the class was failing. How this asshole didn't get reviewed and fired for allowing half the class to fail prior to the Final Exam is beyond me. My sister told me that most likely he did some professor tricks to at least raise people to a D or C to avoid any counseling by his boss.