I've been told I'm a talented writer...now what?

HGMIVHGMIV Acolyte
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Many people told me I am a talented writer. Even the author of a international best-selling book told me that I should write for a living. Of course my family has told me, and my girlfriend, but I feel they have a bias. Teachers have always said it, too. Currently I have a blog I'm working on and it's gotten great response from the few people that have read it, one being the author I mentioned above.

I would love to continue writing, and quite possibly make some money off of it. Obviously I won't be able to get money immediately, I would just like to start on the right track. I have no college degree, worked only retail, and have a child on the way, due in September. I really don't know how to apply my apparent "talent." Has anyone had any experience writing for a career, or at least know anything that can help me get going in the right direction?

Comments

• MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited July 2011
    Sub'd.

Except I've been told I'm a talented pianist.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited July 2011
    Hmm you should post some of your work here. Then I will help you to find ways to make money from your trade.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    I've received much praise with regards to my style of writing as well. I do have a blog but it's full of personal shit so tend not to advertise it. Unfortunately I've yet to find anyone who's willing to let me write an article or two. I did a few for a local paper but they came back with "have you even read a newspaper?". It was a review of a restaurant, and I, as well as many others, thought it was a fucking awesome type-up.

Shame.
  • Ad NauseamAd Nauseam Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    I write for my school magazine....so I have almost no help to offer. However, you could try approaching local newspapers with a short story, or whatever it is that you write, and asking if they want to publish it. Chances are you won't make anything out of that but it can help you get established.

In fact that might be the biggest factor here, do you write fiction or non-fiction?
  • HGMIVHGMIV Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    My blog is obviously non-fiction, but I like to write fiction when I'm in the mood. My non-fiction writing gets much better and I feel a more genuine response than my fiction. I don't feel I'm too strong on that front.
    edited July 2011
    Ad Nauseam wrote: »
    I write for my school magazine....so I have almost no help to offer. However, you could try approaching local newspapers with a short story, or whatever it is that you write, and asking if they want to publish it. Chances are you won't make anything out of that but it can help you get established.

In fact that might be the biggest factor here, do you write fiction or non-fiction?

In reponse to my post I do mostly non fiction, but when I have the time and energy, I do fiction. Finished a piece on a post apocalyptic courier boy. Wrote it before I got Fallout New Vegas which was odd.
    It was always at night that I would explore the City.
    Let me bring you up to speed.

November the 10th. 2 weeks ago the State of Emergency was declared. Marshal law was enforced as an infection spread through the population. At first it was like the typical Winter cold, but soon enough those affected would begin to cough up blood and strike out at those within a close proximity. News reports, as per usual, thought the few original, isolated cases were due to a new "legal high" drug. What set these people apart though, was how they recklessly attacked the NHS staff who were there to help them, and expressed no form of regret with a twinkle of automation in their eye.
    Soon enough, those News reports which once seemed a world away were on my doorstep. It was common for me to look at the TV and see soldiers in Afghanistan or in the DMZ between North and South Korea - knowing they were nowhere near me. I was safe in my little world. But no more.

So there I was, going out at night, behind the lines drawn through my City by the Army and Government. I am a University student, well was, before the infection broke out. Lecture halls are no longer full, rather just a group of Students foolhardy enough to risk infection, hell bent on finishing their degree. I was always disillusioned with the University way of life, convinced that it was only full of Upper-Class individuals who cared about only themselves. I was wrong, to an extent, and seeing as they were the first to leave, everything has thus been turned on its head.

I always walked down through the graveyard to get my supplies. It was right next to my University Campus and was never a place that people would go. Even after 2 weeks of open infection, it gained no popularity.
    The snow slashed against my tender skin. My supplies had run low since I last ventured and risked my life in the wasteland that was [My City] pre-infection.
    Graves were on either side of me, dating back to the 17th century. Humanity was at a comparitively comfortable stage then.

"Where did it all go wrong?" I whispered to myself, keeping my volume low, as well as the snow underfoot crunching to a minimum.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited July 2011
    I'd read your blog Remade.
  • Ad NauseamAd Nauseam Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    In reponse to my post I do mostly non fiction, but when I have the time and energy, I do fiction. Finished a piece on a post apocalyptic courier boy. Wrote it before I got Fallout New Vegas which was odd.

Odd indeed, still I have no experience with fiction, so I shall frolic onwards while searching feverishly for your blog....just in case.

Going back to HGMIV, well if your non-fiction is your strong point, I stick by my advice, approach local publications (newspapers, newsletters, magazines and the like...some places even have online publications that may be more likely to take a risk with you.) and ask them to read your stuff. Worst case scenario is failure, but if you keep going back they'll probably throw you one pity print, like a prostitute giving a lower rate to a meth addicted hobo midget....if you are in fact a meth addicted hobo midget just sell your life story.
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2011
    HGMIV wrote: »
    Many people told me I am a talented writer.

idgaf.png
  • HGMIVHGMIV Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    Paco wrote: »
    idgaf.png

I think you missed the point of my post. I'm not bragging. If anything, I don't have enough confidence in myself to believe any of this. Notice I said "I've been told I was" and "my apparent skill". I'm just relaying what people have said. I'm not bragging, I just want advice on how to utilize what I know.
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2011
    HGMIV wrote: »
    I think you missed the point of my post. I'm not bragging. If anything, I don't have enough confidence in myself to believe any of this. Notice I said "I've been told I was" and "my apparent skill". I'm just relaying what people have said. I'm not bragging, I just want advice on how to utilize what I know.

Oh I know. It's nothing personal, I just wanted to post that picture of my cat really really badly.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Well, congrats cause I think I might be able to help you all. You will need to write articles and in return you will get some exposure, plus I can get you hooked on freelance as well. Just PM me. (applies to everyone)
    edited July 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    I'd read your blog Remade.

I'll bear it in mind :) been a depressive wanker lately so nothing much is on there, but when I pick up the pace I'll probably give it out :) cheers for the +1 to my esteem though
    edited August 2011
    Bump for info from Dfg about those things he mentioned ;)
  • MaxstatsMaxstats Regular
    edited August 2011
    Just because you are talented in something doesn't mean that you are going to make a career out of it and make tons of money. The world is full of people who thing they should be writing reviews, novels and other shit. The reality of it is that unless you know someone personally that can get your foot in the door somewhere you are fucked.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    Bumped responded. Today is my day off which equals = More time for totse and other projects.
  • Caramello KoalaCaramello Koala Acolyte
    edited September 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    I've received much praise with regards to my style of writing as well. I do have a blog but it's full of personal shit so tend not to advertise it. Unfortunately I've yet to find anyone who's willing to let me write an article or two. I did a few for a local paper but they came back with "have you even read a newspaper?". It was a review of a restaurant, and I, as well as many others, thought it was a fucking awesome type-up.

Shame.

Haha! That's great, you just made my day. I can tell from this post alone that you have a way with words; I would love to read your blog. Also your short story about the post apocalyptic courier boy sounds suspiciously similar to that movie The Postman. Word.

To the OP, I too have been told I'm a good writer. I'm studying psychology currently, but one of my lecturers told me I should pursue writing, which I've always had a passion for. I'm lucky because I'm still young and I have lots of time to develop my skills. I've decided that after I finish my degree I'm going to pursue a masters in creative writing. Even if I don't make something of myself at least I'll have a good time trying to accomplish something I love! I think that's the most important thing about writing, as long as your heart is in it and you keep practicing you should reach your goal. The advice I was given was to get used to publishing things for free at first, to get exposure, and to write as often as i can. I find that my blog is a great creative outlet and I look forward to writing in it every day. Writing shouldn't be a chore, it should flow from your fingertips. Maybe you can look into doing a short course in creative writing, or at the very least pick up a good book on writing. There are many open doors available, you just have to look harder and believe in yourself. Also, you should be very proud that an established author gave you props on your writing! Very few are as lucky as you to have received that boost in confidence, you should be proud of your writing ability! Post your blog, I would definitely read it. Also, why don't you ask this author for some direction? I'm sure his advice would blow your mind compared to what we have to offer you.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2011
    www.totseans.com

Yep, the project is underway. Soon Totse writers would start earning money.
  • Caramello KoalaCaramello Koala Acolyte
    edited September 2011
    What is this project exactly?
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited September 2011
    What is this project exactly?

This. Can we get an answer?
  • blamehoffmanblamehoffman Regular
    edited October 2011
    Blogs and such should be a great way to get some practice, but i suppose it depends on what your direction is; If you want to write creatively you might wanna invest in some college courses but Im pretty sure you dont need any credentials to get a publisher to distribute your shit, so long as its good. If you want to do journalism though its likely a long road of academia ahead.

Id just practice and see what you enjoy and see where that takes you. I write well myself but mostly in essay form and I normally have to be really "into" what im writing, like i dont think i can just turn it on so whenever I had to write an essay I didnt care about it always came out shitty...