Faking Knowledge

StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I really fucking hate it when people pretend that they know about something when really they don't know shit. It is moronic and frankly I don't understand it. You know what I'm talking about: when you're trying to have a conversation with someone about something and you're just going over their head but they nod and agree and pretend they know what's up. Some people get really good at this. It really possess me off. How the fuck are either of us supposed to get meaning or worthwhile knowledge from a conversation if you one of us doesn't have a clue what the other person is talking about. It's a waste of my time and energy. When I catch people doing this I lose a lot of respect for them and become wary of talking with them about anything.

If you're having a conversation with me specifically and you lose me or go over my head about something I let you know. I don't pretend to know what you're talking about. If you use a word that I don't know I will ask you what it means. I do not feel stupid for doing this. When the person tells me I'm dumb for not knowing something I let them have it. IMO it is a hell of a lot less intelligent to let the conversation keep going over my head than it is to ask the questions I need to understand.

If you're the type of person who pretends to know shit when you don't: STOP ACTING FUCKING STUPID AND MAYBE YOU'LL LEARN SOMETHING.

If your the person who scoffs and looks down your nose when someone asks you to explain something: KINDLY GO FUCK YOURSELF WITH A SPLINTERED BROOM HANDLE.

I don't have time for any of that bullshit and if you waste mine with it I'm going to want to shank you.

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    I admit, i'm sometimes guilty of "nodding and zoning out". It's usually because i'm bored with the topic.

As an example if someone talks to me about a sport in great detail, i'll zone out and nod. I'll try to change the conversation but it's hard sometimes. You have to put up with it, it's rude otherwise.

There is also a sense of ego that plays into it, if someone assumes i know something, it can be uncomfortable to say otherwise. You may not want to lose face over something you can work out later.

On the otherhand, i don't let it go on for too long either.
  • blamehoffmanblamehoffman Regular
    edited October 2011
    Sometimes I will nod to be polite, then normally change the subject, but generally if I dont have anything worthwhile to say I dont say anything
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited October 2011
    That's better than faking it. At least that way you can listen and learn. I don't think people have to admit to not knowing things but pretending to irks me.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited October 2011
    It's common knowledge that most of anything that comes out of someones mouth isn't even their opinion or their researched knowledge, just information regurgitated by someone else. That's what someone told me at least.

[pun]
  • edited October 2011
    With the internet today everyone is an expert on everything.

Behave accordingly.
  • edited October 2011
    Sounds like you're have some social challenges in dealing with people there son.

Maybe try relaxing a little and not having such serious conversations. blamehoffman has the right idea.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    I have met MissingMuse in person and I can assure he has excellent people skills. So your assessment of him based on a peice of text is flawed.