SWTOR Announces Release Date

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
20DEC11

http://www.swtor.com/?sourceid=eag3106

I have been watching this develop for over two years and for the first time ever order a pre-release copy of a game. Yes, I finally bought a pig in poke folks but this game is going to rock the MMO genre.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Seriously, not one person here has any interest in this title?
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited October 2011
    Holy shit, yeah! It's about time. I will admit, I haven't ready too much into it, but I have been looking a little into it.

I'm definitely going to be watching a lot more on this now.
    edited October 2011
    This thing has the potential, both in terms of game play and the money that is behind it, to be the long awaited "WoW killer".
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited October 2011
    I'd love to see the money grubbing bastards at Blizzard to get on their knees and beg for SWTOR for their players back. That'd be hilarious.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited October 2011
    Dang...I don't know about the "wow killers" there were many who tried to step up, like guildwars, RIFT, and AION..but for the most part they failed...

But i DO love star wars games...i remember the last time they tried making a star wars MMO...it kinda failed :X. but i'm pretty excited about this one...
    edited October 2011
    SWG was great out of the box from Lucas Arts. Where it got fucked was Lucas contracted Sony Online Entertainment to distribute and manage the game after release. SOE got complaints from some mothers of 12 year olds that the game was too complicated and their little Johnny could not figure out how to do all the requirements to become a Jedi. So SOE came out with CU (Combat Upgrades) which was a patch that dumbed the game down by about 40% or so. The first month after the CU patch was released over 500,000 subscribers left SWG. Then, as a reaction to losing a half a million customer, about a year, give or take, later they figured "What the hell, if dumbing the game down by 40% lost all those players maybe if we dumb it the rest of the way they will come back". So they release NGE (New Game Enhancement), another major patch, which made becoming a Jedi as simple as clicking on the Jedi button in the character creation screen.

Within a week you could not walk through Mos Eisley with have a light saber waved under your nose. What made that game great though was the crafting. It is the only MMO I have ever played where players could craft far better items than anything that dropped. Not only that, but not all mats were the same. Some steel was better than others for example. But every mat had six attributes. Things like heat resistance, shock resistance, and the like.

This meant that the player who took their time and gather superior materials could make a better XYZ then the player who just grab whatever and slap their XYZ together. Due to this it was an entirely player driven economy. In other words raid guilds and their members did not rule the universe rather those guilds which concentrated on crafting and building cities (that's right, you could build player made cities, complete with shuttle ports that allowed other players to travel from point to point to get to your city which your guild collected taxes from) had the players with the Uber gear.

From everything I have read on the SWTOR site the crafting and economy are being handled the same way. They also kept the 100% three-dimensional player versus player starfighter combat. The cubes for the geo-data in these environments are fucking in enormous. In fact if they handle space in SWTOR the same way they did in SWG you will level your character in not only whatever class you choose during character creation but you must level separately for your pilot skills in space combat. The more levels you have pilot skills the bigger and better you can pilot.

I've been watching this game's development for over three years and if it meets even 35% to 40% of my expectations this game will have a shelflife of 7 to 10 years.
  • ShadyTrollShadyTroll Regular
    edited October 2011
    Just watched the trailer with my husband. The game looks good. I'll probably try it. The only thing with MMOs is the ridiculous amount of time involved to not have a sucky character & to actually experience cool shit in the game.
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited October 2011
    looks like I know what I'm getting for Christmas
    edited October 2011
    looks like I know what I'm getting for Christmas

And a mic?
  • ShadyTrollShadyTroll Regular
    edited October 2011
    This thing has the potential, both in terms of game play and the money that is behind it, to be the long awaited "WoW killer".

There's no gnomes in this game. :(
    edited October 2011
    ShadyTroll wrote: »
    There's no gnomes in this game. :(

Just one more reason to play it.