What's some good Buddhist literature for a beginner?

MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
You know, someone who just wants the basic preset to the Buddhist religion. I'm very interested in it but I just don't know where to start as I really know nothing on the subject. If you have pdf's (white88 :rolleyes:) those would be great, but I think I'd rather have hard copies for this.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    I am not sure about the buddism thing but if you want two great books to introduce the western mind to Taoism I strongly suggest reading Tao of Pooh and Te of Piglet.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited October 2011
    I am not sure about the buddism thing but if you want two great books to introduce the western mind to Taoism I strongly suggest reading Tao of Pooh and Te of Piglet.

Lol. Oddly enough I've heard about the "Tao of Pooh" from the FX show "Rescue Me". What exactly is Taoism anyways? I've heard of it but I've never really looked into it. From my very small knowledge on Buddhism it just seems to be the religion that focuses most on equality and that's what interests me the most.
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited October 2011
    heres my fav online book place heres the link to the buddism section http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/index.htm

this site has every religious book and old occult book plus more

if you want to download one of the books project gutenberg has them all to download
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited October 2011
    just found a great occult/fringe/religious torrent site which is open registration at the moment there's tons Buddhism stuff if you like torrents http://theoccult.bz/browse.php

heres tao of pooh
    File name: Benjamin Hoff - The Tao of Pooh.rar
    File description: enjoy-tds-totse
    File size: 18.64 MB

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QOZQY6KF
    very interesting book
    edited October 2011
    Thanks for that upload. I have not read this in almost 20 years.
    edited October 2011
    Confucianism, Taoism and Buddhism

Confucianism, Taoism and Buddhism constitute the essence of the traditional Chinese culture. The relationship among the three has been marked by both contention and complementation in history, with Confucianism playing a more dominant role.

Confucius (Kongzi, 551-479 B.C.), founder of Confucianism, stresses “Ren” (benevolence, love) and “Li” (rites), referring to respect for the system of social hierarchy. He attaches importance to education and was a pioneering advocate for private schools. He is particularly famous for teaching students according to their intellectual inclinations. His teachings were later recorded by his students in “The Analects.”

Mencius also contributed a great part to Confucianism, lived in the Warring States Period (389-305 B.C.), advocating a policy of benign government and a philosophy that human beings are good by nature. Confucianism became the orthodox ideology in feudal China and, in the long course of history, it drew on Taoism and Buddhism. By the 12th century, Confucianism had evolved into a rigid philosophy that calls for preserving heavenly laws and repressing human desires.

Taoism was created by Lao Zi (around the sixth century B.C.), whose masterpiece is “The Classic of the Virtue of the Tao.” He believes the dialectical philosophy of inaction. Chairman Mao Zedong once quoted Lao Zi: “Fortune lies in misfortune and vice versa.” Zhuang Zhou, the main advocate of Taoism during the Warring States period, founded a relativism calling for the absolute freedom of the subjective mind. Taoism has greatly influenced Chinese thinkers, writers and artists.

Buddhism was created by Sakyamuni in India around the 6th century B.C. Believing that human life is miserable and spiritual emancipation is the highest goal to seek. It was introduced into China through Central Asia around the time Christ was born. After a few centuries of assimilation, Buddhism evolved into many sects in the Sui and Tang Dynasties and became localized. That was also a process when the ingenuous culture of Confucianism and Taoism were blended with Buddhism. Chinese Buddhism has played a very important role on traditional ideology and art.

copypasta BTW but this says it better than I can.