U.S. Drug Policy Would Be Imposed Globally By New House Bill

juggjugg Regular
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Time to watch your asses boys. Shits getting real.
The House Judiciary Committee passed a bill yesterday that would make it a federal crime for U.S. residents to discuss or plan activities on foreign soil that, if carried out in the U.S., would violate the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) -- even if the planned activities are legal in the countries where they're carried out. H.R. 313, the "Drug Trafficking Safe Harbor Elimination Act of 2011," is sponsored by Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), and allows prosecutors to bring conspiracy charges against anyone who discusses, plans or advises someone else to engage in any activity that violates the CSA, the massive federal law that prohibits drugs like marijuana and strictly regulates prescription medication.

SOURCE!!

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    You people should read this whole story this is scary shit. This would shit all over the 1st Amendment. Congress will have abandoned their oath of office and the Supreme Court will be guilty of dereliction of duty if this goes into law. You won't even be able to talk about the best way to grow weed.
  • edited October 2011
    Its not about drug use.

Its about thought crime.
    edited October 2011
    Ed Zachery
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited October 2011
    csa? confedert states of america note not a real guess what is csa
    edited October 2011
    CSA = Controlled Substance Act
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited October 2011
    I can't believe this bill. This fucker better not pass. This shits all over the first amendment. I like my freedom, thank you very much. I just can't figure out how they plan to monitor this. I just can't believe you could go to jail over an idea and talking about it
    edited October 2011
    Nobody could have believed that in Germany in 1931 either.
    edited October 2011
    that's why its so scary. Patriot act all over again. I will check the bill in depth later but does it say anything about websites and forums? I'm just curious because there has got to be drug related forums hosted in the us
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    ALL HAIL THY SUPER CONGRESS ...

at least you guys have free speech (for now) in aus you can go to jail for talking/telling people how to not vote properly ... one guy was reprimanded for speaking out on global warming ...

This is what free speech is in aus

(warning copypasta)

Australians are free, within the bounds of the law, to say or write what we think privately or publicly, about the government, or about any topic. We do not censor the media and may criticise the government without fear of arrest. Free speech comes from facts, not rumours, and the intention must be constructive, not to do harm. There are laws to protect a person's good name and integrity against false information. There are laws against saying or writing things to incite hatred against others because of their culture, ethnicity or background. Freedom of speech is not an excuse to harm others.

and then there is this bullshit to swallow

Schedule 7 of the Anti-Terrorism Bill (No. 2) 2005,[5] passed by the Upper House on 6 December 2005, repealed Sections 24A to 24E of the Crimes Act (1914) and reintroduced them, along with several new classes of offence, in a Division 80—Treason and sedition. Crimes in this division now attract a maximum penalty of seven years' imprisonment.
    [edit]Seditious Intention

The definition of "seditious intention" originally in Section 24A has become (as amended):

An intention to effect any of the following purposes:
    (a) to bring the Sovereign into hatred or contempt;
    (b) to urge disaffection against the following:
    (i) the Constitution;
    (ii) the Government of the Commonwealth;
    (iii) either House of the Parliament;
    (c) to urgeanother person to attempt, otherwise than by lawful means, to procure a change to any matter established by law in the Commonwealth;
    (d) to promote feelings of ill-will or hostility between different groups so as to threaten the peace, order and good government of the Commonwealth.
  • edited October 2011
    Free speech is absolute. Saying 'you have free speech, but' is not free speech at all. 'Hate speech' or 'conspiracy' can be twisted to cover any discussion whatsoever. Fuck these people :mad:
  • edited October 2011

This is more like Russia 1905 than Germany.
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited October 2011
    Move to Canada?

I'm more worried about this law shitting on movies like Pineapple Express and Harold and Kumar.
    edited October 2011
    nameless1 wrote: »
    Move to Canada?

I'm more worried about this law shitting on movies like Pineapple Express and Harold and Kumar.

Trust me, worries should be the last of your concern. This has everything to do with personal liberty and freedom. Do you really think Hollywood would stop making stoner movies because of this? They have made movies about narcotics since prohibition. That won't change at all