Side Effects of Not Eating Fruit?

edited October 2011 in Life
Just lately I've been trying to save a bit of money by not purchasing foods which I could do without. This includes a wide range of stuff, but part of it includes fruits and a lot of vegetables too. I ate some peas today, but that's about it as far as both fruit and veg goes. Other than this, I'd say I have a fairly good diet. My question is this;

What are the side effects of not eating any fruit or vegetables? Do they REALLY make that much difference?

Thanks Totse :)

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    I will be better able to answer this tomorrow after my appointment with the V/A nutritionist. I wll be sure to bring it up and report back afterwards.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    I think there main job is to give you plenty of vitamins, which is very important as the body needs them. I guess if you take vitamin supplements and dont eat fruit you will be fine. Still, the more vitamins the better I'd say and eating fruit is the most natural way of getting them. :)

Here is a guide to what the different vitamins do and the effects of not having them: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/vitamins_which.htm
  • edited October 2011
    Scurvy and sea madness
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    Not a good idea dude. Without fruit and veg your diet isn't healthy and there are heaps of shit that could go wrong. Immune system could crash, constipation. Lots of veges have their own little benefits like reducing cholesterol, helping liver function. Cut these little benefits out, and you will start to suffer!
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    I eat vegetables but not fruit.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    eh. fruit is very optional. Frozen veggies are reasonably cheap.
    edited October 2011
    Do you guys feel 100% everyday?
  • edited October 2011
    ^ I'm feeling totally fine at the moment, but I guess some fruit wouldn't go amiss :D Maybe I'll pop to the shop in a little while and buy some apples/bananas instead of sitting here, eating chocolate McVitie's and crisps.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    I've not had fruit in about 2 years as I stick to my drinks and a liquid diet. I suppose you only have a lack of fiber and vitamins, but you can make up for that with weetabix and supplements.

Or just having sliced banana on your weetabix, with sugar...which is amazing.
  • edited October 2011
    Looking at the corn flakes which I eat each day, they actually have quite a lot of vitamins in :thumbsup: Missing out on my Vitamin C though, maybe I should go buy some orange juice or something. It's just such an annoyance because it's additional money on top of the amount I'm already spending to feed myself each week.
    edited October 2011
    trx100 wrote:
    Looking at the corn flakes which I eat each day, they actually have quite a lot of vitamins in :thumbsup: Missing out on my Vitamin C though, maybe I should go buy some orange juice or something. It's just such an annoyance because it's additional money on top of the amount I'm already spending to feed myself each week.

ORANGE JUCIE?!? I'll post a tread about why you should not even worry about orange juice for health purposes unless you squeezing it your self .. Go with fresh guava or kiwifruit for vit c
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Was gonna say, Vit C is water soluble, so comes out after you metabolise it and piss. Never been a big believer of it myself. Will take a picture of what my drinks contain and post here. I have 8 a day ;)