DFG and his pc fans

juggjugg Regular
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Dfg's pc

[IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4786947/Personal/Desktop/desktop (3).jpg[/IMG]
This is what happens when you sit next to it. It has the power of fans.
rcap1.gif

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    So that's how you get a blow job in Pakistan?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2011
    So that's how you get a blow job in Pakistan?

+1

The fans are there to keep the components running at optimal temperature. They're quite silent compared to the previous fans I was using.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited October 2011
    I can imagine the old Punka walla system used to be a bit noisy DFG

IMG_0014.JPG
  • edited October 2011
    RIP Ryan Dunn :'(

You oughta see the fans I've got in my desktop, they'll blow you away ;) I'd post a picture but I'm currently on my laptop.
  • edited October 2011
    Doesn't keeping the case closed make it better? I'm sure I've read in PC books that it makes the current or whatever flow better over the actual boards since the air can't escape like with an open case.
    edited October 2011
    You're absolutely correct DKR.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Doesn't keeping the case closed make it better? I'm sure I've read in PC books that it makes the current or whatever flow better over the actual boards since the air can't escape like with an open case.

It helps duct the air through the case better so yeah it works far more efficiently than an open case.
    edited October 2011
    Yup, this Ed Zachery^
  • edited October 2011
    Yup, closed case is definitely better. Air should be sucked in through the bottom, front and side fans (since that's where the coolest air is, and heat rises) and blown out of the top/rear of the machine. Of course, this is only possibly if you have enough space for your fans ;)

Minimally, you should just have a front intake and a rear exhaust as well as your CPU fan. Just make sure that the airflow is correctly circulating and not going in stupid directions.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited October 2011
    False. I've had many PCs that would overheat constantly unless I had the case open. My brother had one with the maximum amount of fans his PSU could handle, plus a small fan on the outside blowing on his mobo, but he still had to have the case open and all the plastic crap off of it or it would constantly shut down.
    edited October 2011
    Then the fan were improperly placed and working against each other.
    edited October 2011
    Then the fan were improperly placed and working against each other.

No, every fan was facing the proper direction.
    edited October 2011
    Obviously not if it was overheating.
  • edited October 2011
    There was probably something going wrong elsewhere, or there was some faulty hardware in the mix. I can assure you that a closed computer case set up with fans blowing air in the correct direction will provide better cooling than an open one.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    I'm surprised to see that Dfg can function in the heat and potential humidity of Pakistan, not least his beloved computer. Damn! Also Chippy, those fans made me chuckle :D
    edited October 2011
    Obviously not if it was overheating.

I know how to put a fucking case fan in.
    edited October 2011
    I know how to put a fucking case fan in.

I am not saying you don't know how to install a fans or that you are stupid. All I am saying is that too many fan or incorrectly located fans can prevent the proper exchange of air from the outside (cool air) to the inside (hot air). If the fans air working against one another and not pulling the cool air in from the bottom front of the case and pushing it out the top back of the case all you are doing is blowing hot air over the already hot components and increasing the overall temperature. You can not cool something hot by blowing already heated air on it.

I know you have experience a temperature reduction on two PC's in your home by removing the side covers. But consider this, aside from my 20 plus years as an IT technician the manufacturers of the hardware have conducted extensive studies as have others in the industry with far more experience than you or I. They have all concluded decisively that cover on with proper fan placement is far more efficient at cooling your components that with covers off. So while taking the covers off may reduce the temperature in a system with improperly placed fans or too many fans which work against one another you will experience a larger reduction in temperature by making sure that your fans placement are correctly positioned to pull air in from the front bottom and push it out the top back (where the PSU fan pushes out) with the covers on than to simply pull the covers off.

I am not trying to one up you or say I am smart and you are stupid. I am merely giving you the opportunity to Read, Know, Do.
    edited October 2011
    I am not saying you don't know how to install a fans or that you are stupid. All I am saying is that too many fan or incorrectly located fans can prevent the proper exchange of air from the outside (cool air) to the inside (hot air). If the fans air working against one another and not pulling the cool air in from the bottom front of the case and pushing it out the top back of the case all you are doing is blowing hot air over the already hot components and increasing the overall temperature. You can not cool something hot by blowing already heated air on it.

I know you have experience a temperature reduction on two PC's in your home by removing the side covers. But consider this, aside from my 20 plus years as an IT technician the manufacturers of the hardware have conducted extensive studies as have others in the industry with far more experience than you or I. They have all concluded decisively that cover on with proper fan placement is far more efficient at cooling your components that with covers off. So while taking the covers off may reduce the temperature in a system with improperly placed fans or too many fans which work against one another you will experience a larger reduction in temperature by making sure that your fans placement are correctly positioned to pull air in from the front bottom and push it out the top back (where the PSU fan pushes out) with the covers on than to simply pull the covers off.

I am not trying to one up you or say I am smart and you are stupid. I am merely giving you the opportunity to Read, Know, Do.

I'm not saying that the people who design computers don't know there shit, but consider this: Does the average consumer buy a new computer based on airflow, or how pretty it looks? Most consumers are morons who just want to shiniest product available, and while I do enjoy things that look pretty, I also enjoy things that work, and I know from hands on experience that the average computer has restricted airflow in the front due to the designer wanting it to look pretty. It's the same reason I don't generally consider really cheap cases. I've had one once where if you had the front faceplate on at ALL it completely cut off all airflow from the front. I'm currently on a laptop that I had to grind all the fan grills off of otherwise it would overheat to an unusable temp.

Now on the other hand, I've had dells where you can clearly see the fan in front doing it's job.

There are other variables here too, such as the amount of hardware being used, cord length and placement, et cetera.
    edited October 2011
    What a load of bullshit. Without the case on the airflow is non existent. Fitting fans over major components may help but other components on the peripherals will suffer. I can understand air flow on some cheap laptop being compromised, but in a PC? never seen a review mention this. Fitting extra fans just screws up the internal air flow. Replace a fan with a better one yeah, but don't screw with the air flow.
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, that's why anyone doing anything IMPRESSIVE with their computer doesn't generally use a case :rolleyes:.

Go do some real computing and let me know how your amazing airflow having shit box handles the heat.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2011
    I should make some corrections here.

A) A closed case has a better air flow ONLY if the case if designed in that fashion. Cooler Master, ThemalTake cases etc are a great example of that. But using Asus or other cheap brands isn't a good idea mainly because they don't have much compartments.

B) The Casing that I am using is designed for a P4 not an i7 system. Hence, I had to commodate things. I don't have front panel space for a front fan because I have four HDD's plugged in. That limits any space for a front fan install. Next in line is the back fan, since my processor fan is huge, it doesn't allow me to cover the covers and I don't have much space to add a fast fan there.

So, basically here is with I did:
    A) Position a fan over RAM
    B) Position a fan over the processor backside.
    C) Position a fan over the HDD's

Well, I did miss one spot but hey I can cover that one easily as well.

Is the airflow ideal? considering the situation I am in, it's just more like improvising my way through a problem.

But make no mistake, next month, I am getting a kick ass casing with tons of HDD space and and awesome rack with tons of fans. So, yeah, if you're ona tight budget, open case works but it's better to invest some money is a case which is proven to be good with airflow.

Some times having an Open case is a good option especially if you're using Pentium D processors.
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited October 2011
    I'd say there's a point where simply being able to dissipate heat trumps airflow in importance. Most people shouldn't reach that point, but when it hits that extreme I'd rather have no case on. It'd be like saying you can expel heat better in a car by running a typhoon fan through the front and opening up the back to an extreme for superior air flow. Yes, more cool air will flow over the components, but you're still going to cool down faster by simply popping the hood open because the heat is going to have way more space to dissipate in. At what point do the fans, no matter how smooth the flow through the case, simply stop being able to blow the heat out of the back fast enough? Let me put it this way: if your computer's CPU is overheating can you honestly say that taking the case off won't fix the problem? Because I'm betting it will. Some computers aren't cooled sufficiently enough and you can clearly feel hot air being expelled from the back. This means there's too much heat being generated for the air to flush, not matter how much heat is being generated a good system will expel cooler air because the cool air "dilutes" all the heat coming off the hardware. The solution? Pop the case and it all escapes.

However it seems to me that just as with the car analogy, reaching that point in the first place means something was wrong with the intended configuration. I don't think it matters either way as long as you have a good intake config with your case on to begin with. You'll never see me running open case because I prefer it to run as quiet as possible plus my house is a dust farm.

Edit - Ninja'd
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, in the case when you install components the design of the case wasn't built to accommodate then the air flow as designed will not cope. However, removing the case and installing tons of fans is inefficient compared to upgrading the case. It's a common mistake people make to ignore the case when it comes to upgrades as though it doesn't matter.
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited October 2011
    No argument there, removing the case certainly won't improve your bottom CPU temps it's just a quick fix. Proper upgrades are still the way to go.
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, that's why anyone doing anything IMPRESSIVE with their computer doesn't generally use a case :rolleyes:.

Go do some real computing and let me know how your amazing airflow having shit box handles the heat.

I have been doing "real" computing longer than you have been alive friend. But you do what you want I am done trying to teach a pig to sing because it is only annoying the pig and frustrating me.