Freakiest experience at Uni to date

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
So last night I went to bed pretty early, and was woken up around 4am by what I thought was a dream where I was being chased by a witch from Left 4 Dead 2.
After waking up and wondering what the shitting brick it was, I went to my bathroom, and the noise returned every 3 minutes or so. I flushed the toilet, ran the taps and shower, but to no avail. It was getting desperate now, and I began to hear people downstairs mutedly shouting "what the fuck is that?". The noise was damn loud and I felt as though I was stuck in a horror movie, locked in my room and being tortured.

After a while, I found out the noise was coming from my radiator.

Then my phone went. My housemates text me

"Can you hear that noise too? Me and [name] are practically crying upstairs"

Glad to know I'm not alone. Turns out the noise was so loud it could be heard outside and Security on my Campus spent an hour trying to cool down our boiler in a scene reminiscent from 24, as it was literally ready to explode, they said. This is the reason for the noise, and the exceptional noise behind it.

Just thought I'd say.

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Wow, that's pretty fucked up man - must have been shit scary to wake up to that at 4am! It's good that it didn't explode though, that would have truely sucked. I had no idea that boilers could actually do that... Any idea what caused it in the first place?
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited October 2011
    That's fucked up bro. But it would have been cooler if it was actually a Witch from L4D.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    They had boiler explode at a school here last year. It killed the maintenance guy.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    I have lived in many old buildings with knocking pipes. I would get a petition together from the students in your building demanding a thorough overhaul of he boiler system in that building before someone gets killed from a boiler explosion though if it was overheating that bad.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited October 2011
    Why did they not just turn it off? It will have an electricity supply and a gas supply (if it was a gas boiler).
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited October 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Why did they not just turn it off? It will have an electricity supply and a gas supply (if it was a gas boiler).

It wouldn't have relieved the pressure?
    edited October 2011
    It wouldn't have relieved the pressure?

If you remove the source of the heat you remove the source of the pressure.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    They did turn it off, but had to sort it out again as we needed hot water for 7am as per usual. Haven't heard any more noises (seeing as I was practically dead last night) but certainly need to change it - even if it is one night out of many weeks.
  • edited November 2011
    So why are you not writing letters about your concern for safety; mental distress and PTSD?

You could be getting special consideration in subjects and upgraded or free accomodation. DONT BE A CHUMP.
  • Hellz-FuryHellz-Fury Regular
    edited November 2011
    So why are you not writing letters about your concern for safety; mental distress and PTSD?

You could be getting special consideration in subjects and upgraded or free accommodation. DON'T BE A CHUMP.

Actually RemadE, that ''could'' be cause for legal action instead of the university being responsible for it. May get rich, ya never know.

Sue whoever oversees the building maintenance.
    edited November 2011
    Hah, never thought of that, as I was more concerned with wanting to sleep.
    A bit late to do anything now though. Will be overly sensitive to any boiler grumbles in the future though ;)
  • Hellz-FuryHellz-Fury Regular
    edited November 2011
    Remember deny deny deny?

In this case add sue sue sue and remember next time someone fucks up.

You'd be surprised how often you can get rich for being butthurt.
    edited November 2011
    Hellz-Fury wrote: »
    Remember deny deny deny?

In this case add sue sue sue and remember next time someone fucks up.

You'd be surprised how often you can get rich for being butthurt.

He lives in the UK. If you sue over there you had better have a damned good case. If you sue and lose as the plaintiff you pay the defendants legal costs. So the idea of suing a University over a noisy boiler is just stupid, even in the U.S.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    Sue for being woken up?

Yeah right lol.

Good luck finding someone to try and take that to court. Not gonna happen.

ETA exactly TDR, in fact if it ever did make it to court, a judge would throw it out and you stand a good chance of being charged for costs and fined for wasting court time.
    edited November 2011
    chippy wrote: »
    ETA exactly TDR, in fact if it ever did make it to court, a judge would throw it out and you stand a good chance of being charged for costs and fined for wasting court time.

This. Court costs will be more than the potential payout. Not really worth it.
    Well actually no, it's not worth it.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited November 2011
    The boiler, eh? Don't believe that swamp gas bullshit.