November 9th, FEMA and Meteor.

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I heard from an American that on the 9th of November, FEMA will be testing out their emergency response system. Also on this day, a meteor will pass between the Earth and Moon. First thing I thought "what are the chances of it hitting the moon?". Turns out I'm not alone.

Coincidence? What are your thoughts on this? The Internet is already abuzz with discussions and religious bullshit about the explanation. But the &ToTSE perspective is what matters here. I have a feeling it will be a close miss with the moon. The predicted video didn't take any gravitational pull into consideration from what i could make out.

Comments

• jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited November 2011
    Maybe (and i have no scientific proof that this could happen or any belief that it would happen but it just popped into my head and i thought id share it) as the meteor passed the moon all the water in the world would rise up into the sky and move around the earth in the direction that the meteor was going and then dump back onto the earth ... wouldn't that be a shit fight ... again i know this is impossible it was just the first thing that popped into my head ...
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited November 2011
    ^that is a sure is possible, all depends how big it is
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Spinster wrote: »

The upcoming close approach by this relatively large 400 meter-sized, C-type asteroid
    Source.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    jehsiboi wrote: »
    Maybe (and i have no scientific proof that this could happen or any belief that it would happen but it just popped into my head and i thought id share it) as the meteor passed the moon all the water in the world would rise up into the sky and move around the earth in the direction that the meteor was going and then dump back onto the earth ... wouldn't that be a shit fight ... again i know this is impossible it was just the first thing that popped into my head ...

If an object the size of an aircraft carrier had enough mass to effect the tides we would have that effect every time one left port. :facepalm: On other hand if it impacted on the moon that could cause measurable and even possible damaging effects on our oceans if it changed the moon orbit.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited November 2011
    I heard a FEMA commercial on the radio the other day and at the end they were like "We'd like to remind everyone to make sure their family has an emergency kit" or some shit like that and I was already thinking "Oh fuck".

Wouldn't they have already tried blowing the meteor up or something if they thought it was going to cause damage?
    edited November 2011
    Has anyone taken a good look at the surface of the moon? It is an asteroid magnet. This thing is only that mass of an aircraft carrier which is fairly small in terms of cosmic debris. Even if it hits the moon it will not end life on earth or effect society at large.
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited November 2011
    (Reuters) - A huge asteroid will pass closer to Earth than the moon on Tuesday, giving scientists a rare chance for study without having to go through the time and expense of launching a probe, officials said

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/06/uk-space-asteroid-idUSLNE7A500E20111106

to bad i dont have a telescope which is the only way to see it
    edited November 2011
    (Reuters) - A huge asteroid will pass closer to Earth than the moon on Tuesday, giving scientists a rare chance for study without having to go through the time and expense of launching a probe, officials said

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/06/uk-space-asteroid-idUSLNE7A500E20111106

to bad i dont have a telescope which is the only way to see it

This has already been posted, merging threads.

http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php/20873-November-9th-FEMA-and-Meteor
    edited November 2011
    hmm some one has the day wrong
    edited November 2011
    hmm some one has the day wrong

Yes, you do. You posted your thread today at 09:01 PM.

The Op in this thread was on 11-05-2011 at 06:26 AM.

Any other question?
    edited November 2011
    Reckon it has anything to do with this?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/06/us-usa-iran-ahmadinejad-idUSTRE7A52RV20111106

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/06/us-nuclear-iran-qa-idUSTRE7A50OC20111106
    On Wednesday, November 9th, the IAEA will release its report on the nuclear capabilities of Iran and its assessment of when Iran might finish its first atomic bomb. At the same moment, the first ever test of the Emergency Alert System on the national level will be carried out by order of the President of the United States.
    edited November 2011
    Source
    Computer models showing the asteroid's path for the next 100 years show there is no chance it will hit Earth during that time, added Yeomans.

"We do not think that it will ever impact the Earth or moon (but) we only have its orbit calculated for the next 100 years," he said.
    edited November 2011
    thats not what i meant the article i posted says tuesday the 8th everyone else says it happens on the 9th
    edited November 2011
    edited November 2011
    With all the concern from the approaching YU55 comet and with the National alert system being introduced Wednesday , I have been doing some investigating and have found some interesting math calculations. Below are some calculations that lead me to believe that this will pass by much closer than what NASA is claiming it will.

Interesting read with some maths.
    edited November 2011
    well we will find out soon
    edited November 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    The upcoming close approach by this relatively large 400 meter-sized, C-type asteroid
    Source.

I was thinking on the shitter today, is it the size of the meteor the has an influence on its gravitational pull or its mass?
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    I was thinking on the shitter today, is it the size of the meteor the has an influence on its gravitational pull or its mass?

Mass is directly related to gravitation. Size is irrelevant. The size per mass depends on what it's made of. For the same mass, an ice meteor would be much bigger than one made of rock or one that had a high metal content.
    edited November 2011
    yeh thought so, like a black hole. small as hell but it can gobble up a sun or planet.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited November 2011
    I swear if that meteor crashes into earth and kills everyone before I get to play Skyrim. :angry: