Australia Unveils Superhero License Plates

juggjugg Regular
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
You need all the super hero's you can get when you cant own guns.

Starting November 30th, DC Universe will be tooling around the Outback.

enhanced-buzz-13742-1320693088-12.jpg

SOURCE

Comments

• jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited November 2011
    Don't be silly we can own guns ... And we have super hero number plates :) it's quite a subculture over here getting personalized number plates and of course the government is cashing in on it
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    I do like the plates
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    jehsiboi wrote: »
    Don't be silly we can own guns ... And we have super hero number plates :) it's quite a subculture over here getting personalized number plates and of course the government is cashing in on it

Not without major restrictions, provisions, and permits you can't
    edited November 2011
    I see no reason why I would need a semi automatic weapon ... And I'm not convinced that a permit and license for a deadly weapon is a bad thing. Needing a gun locker that can't be easily entered as a requirement of ownership is not such a bad idea ...
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    I have mixed feelings about gun ownership laws in AU. On the whole, i think the rules we have now are pretty good.

The argument that only criminals will have guns if you make guns illegal may have some merit, but if you look at the shootings in the US you'll notice that very few of the deranged gunmen are shot by a gun-owning bystander.

The US seems to make it easy for people to buy guns but makes it difficult for them to carry the things with them. Which is totally backward.

We also haven't had US style shootings in Australia since the gun laws were passed (They were passed because of a mass shooting btw). Simply put, the insane don't have access to arms anymore. They wouldn't know were to get it and they wouldn't have the money anyway.

I also worry about invasion, it's not very likely but if things ever get dicy on our turf we will have very little in terms of personal protection.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    ^This

What is the point of owning a gun if you cant get to it. The bad part about trying to travel with a gun in the us is that the laws vary from state to state. You could be perfectly with in the law. Then cross state lines and you will go to jail. It happened in New York. People would board planes with firearms in luggage which was perfectly legal in their state. When they arrived to New York the cops would be waiting at the airport to take them to jail.
    edited November 2011
    I see no reason why I would need a semi automatic weapon ... And I'm not convinced that a permit and license for a deadly weapon is a bad thing. Needing a gun locker that can't be easily entered as a requirement of ownership is not such a bad idea ...

If you can't own the same style weapons the government does then you are not free.
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited November 2011
    Gun laws in the states vary quite a bit from state to state for sure. In my neck of the woods guns aren't even registered and getting a concealed carry permit is pretty easy, you take a class that usually runs about 65 bucks, you pay 150 for a background check with the state police headquarters and the FBI databases and if you turn up clean your permit comes in the mail about 6 to 8 weeks later. As easy as it is you would think everyone would have one, but only around 10% of the adult population does if I remember the numbers from the class. I honestly have never understood the aversion some people have to guns, my stepbrothers mother is English and when she visits she demands he strip them and lock them away separate from the ammo. On topic though, I want me one of them Green Lantern plates.
    edited November 2011
    Arkansan wrote: »
    Gun laws in the states vary quite a bit from state to state for sure. In my neck of the woods guns aren't even registered and getting a concealed carry permit is pretty easy, you take a class that usually runs about 65 bucks, you pay 150 for a background check with the state police headquarters and the FBI databases and if you turn up clean your permit comes in the mail about 6 to 8 weeks later. As easy as it is you would think everyone would have one, but only around 10% of the adult population does if I remember the numbers from the class. I honestly have never understood the aversion some people have to guns, my stepbrothers mother is English and when she visits she demands he strip them and lock them away separate from the ammo.

I would tell her to get a motel room or carry her ass back across the pond.
    edited November 2011
    Yeah these days when she does visit he usually pays to put her up in a hotel. It's so strange to me as my mother owns more guns than I do.
    edited November 2011
    I understand were youre coming from TDR and I agree with to a extent ... But where does it stop? Is it someone's right to own a weapon to defend there home ... Sure ... But do you need an Uzi or an AK47 to do this? Maybe? I would hope not ... And not being free cause you can't own the same weapons as the government is going a bit far ... Are you guys allowed to own all the weapons your government has, if you were wealthy enough and were inclined to buy?
    edited November 2011
    I understand were youre coming from TDR and I agree with to a extent ... But where does it stop? Is it someone's right to own a weapon to defend there home ... Sure ... But do you need an Uzi or an AK47 to do this? Maybe? I would hope not ... And not being free cause you can't own the same weapons as the government is going a bit far ... Are you guys allowed to own all the weapons your government has, if you were wealthy enough and were inclined to buy?

If you have a clean record and can pay the taxes you can own just about any small arm the military has. If the government has better weapons than the people the the people fear the government. In a free society the government should always fear the people.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    I think the attraction Americans have to guns is that they simply don't trust their government. We (and every other european nation) don't really have this. One of the common cries of the people who want to keep their guns is that it keeps the government in check. It's almost a surreal thing to say.

It's kinda the opposite here, we whinge and whine but we regard protest as an anathema.
    edited November 2011

If you have a clean record and can pay the taxes you can own just about any small arm the military has. If the government has better weapons than the people the the people fear the government. In a free society the government should always fear the people.

True ... My mate and I were having a similar conversation about why more people don't actively fight for their freedoms taken away by the government ... We came to the conclusion that its 1-it's the lies we are feed from a early age and 2- we don't own the bombs.

Also sorry for derailing you're thread jugg if I see a car with these number plate I'll take a photo and post it up here to make up for it
    edited November 2011
    True ... My mate and I were having a similar conversation about why more people don't actively fight for their freedoms taken away by the government ... We came to the conclusion that its 1-it's the lies we are feed from a early age and 2- we don't own the bombs

The only hope for true freedom in the west is for a reverse coup led by senior military brass that is loyal to their nations and not their corrupt civilian political leaders. So when you think about the "people" do control "the bombs" being as soldiers are part of "we the people". BTW Au is part of the west too...
    edited November 2011
    Yeah Civil war is a fucking scary thought thought but ... You would need some fucking ballsy/extremely dedicated guys to start that ... Australians killing austarlians for Australia's freedoms seems like such a waste of life
    edited November 2011
    Would you rather die free/kill fellow country men or end up a slave?
    edited November 2011
    I'm not saying I wouldn't ... I'm saying that it would a sad day if it came to that
    edited November 2011
    True, but not as sad as whole societies enslaved by a one world corporate owned government I think.
  • edited November 2011
    Why do I need a bomb shelter with a cache of AR-15's with armour piercing bullets and grenades?

I pay the government to build submarines and shit so that in the unlikely event that someone with these things wants to hassle people like me we can stop them on the way over. And my government makes some terrible choices but they're a long way from raiding peoples houses for criticising them.

And before the 'blah blah Australians have no rights' we have implied common law rights just like the Westminster system and these rights are not challenged by any of the executive powers. The closest that they're coming to interfering with my life is the now all but defunct internet filter to protect the children.

We dont need a bill of rights that says everyone can walk around waving a gun OR ELSE THEM JEALOUS TERRRIRSTS WIN.

I think that theres far more practical ways to address both the political freedom of a society and the safety of a community than everyone arming themselves to the teeth.
    All this tin foil hat wearing "government must fear the people" talk about radio glen beck stuff just feeds off itself - is there still a society over in the USA or is it just that everyone built their own survival fortresses a bit too close to each other?
    And think about what can go down - imagine if the London rioters all had just a 6 shot revolver each, it would of been a bloodbath. And you can argue that the shop owners would of been able to stand on top of their stores like in the LA riots popping off in every direction; but seriously - let Johnny law stand around dodging bullets while i go make some phone calls to the insurance place.

Guerilla style urban warfare has been shown to be one of the harder types of combat for conventional forces to handle -but its also not one that requires anything more than some slight small arms and most of all a sense of cunning, intelligence and networking skills.
    edited November 2011
    Talk to me in ten years when your freedom is gone kid. It was not tinfoil hat wearers that knew the government should fear the people it was the framers of our constitution and founding fathers of out nation. They didn't even have tinfoil.
    edited November 2011
    Who the hell was talking about bunkers and caches of AR 15's? The whole imagine if the London rioters had blah blah blah thing is BS we have riots and protests over here as well and they typically only turn into anything close to bloodbaths when the riot police get involved. I love the assumption that just because Americans can own guns that we all walk around strapped to the teeth and waving them around. Now I personally don't see any need for civilians to have access to high explosives and the like but I really don't see a problem with military grade small arms, its almost like people think that because we can own them we all do and will all use them eventually, doesn't make sense to me.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    The whole point of democracy is that the people that have those weapons are controlled by the people who we vote in. We do not need any uprising or defense against the government as we are not being physically attacked. Freedoms that are being taken away from us are a political issue, which needs to be addressed either by a change in the political system of how we vote and resolve the issues to how the common people can more directly effect government decisions, or we need to find something other than democracy. Guns in a political context do nothing, and have done nothing to influence how our society is run (at least not in the UK).

I am so glad that guns are not allowed in the UK. This great tradition of the unarmed British bobby (or Policeman) would disappear in a flash if guns were legalized, and may it never be so.
    edited November 2011
    If it were not for guns in the hands of civilians the US would not exist.
    edited November 2011
    I see your point in regards to the people who control the guns being controlled by the voters. I also think that guns really haven't influenced the political system in America that much in the last hundred years either. I support gun ownership not as a defense against government, though I do think in a dire enough situation they would be a boon, rather I support gun ownership because I'm for a smaller less intrusive government in general and I simply don't think the feds should have the right to censor ownership of anything except in extreme cases. I think part of the problem in America today that causes many to look at guns as a defense against government is the fact that many Americans simply don't believe that our votes effect much of anything more, there is a very real and growing distrust of the government here.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited November 2011
    I'd move to Australia for one of those Batman plates.
    edited November 2011
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot this thread was originally about superhero license plates, I would pay good money for one of the Green Lantern ones with the lantern between the numbers
    edited November 2011
    ^^ Oh aye your right, the thread derailed a bit!! Those license plates are awesome :D It was only a while back that we were allowed the Welsh flag on license plates, I think it would be awesome if we could have personalized license plates not only in numbers and letters but also by design.
    edited November 2011
    Yeah designer plates would be the shit, out of curiosity are you no longer allowed the Welsh flag on your plates?
    edited November 2011
    It was up until 2009 that we werent allowed the Welsh flag on our plates, but now we are as it became legalized. I remember my dad telling me that my grandfather had it on his license plate anyway even though he could have got done for it :)

Here's the appropriate news article.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8018432.stm
    edited November 2011
    Awesome, cool that you can show some pride in your homeland without getting hassled for it. Unfortunately there is a bit of stigma attached to a confederate flag these days so putting one on my plates is out, wouldn't want to offend any one I suppose. Interesting side note I recently discovered in my genealogy research that my family may have came to the states from Wales.
  • edited November 2011
    The whole point of democracy is that the people that have those weapons are controlled by the people who we vote in

And in Australia they're such fun loving people we get super hero licence plates. Best country ever.
    edited November 2011
    And in Australia they're such fun loving people we get super hero licence plates. Best country ever.

Aye I know, It would be the only country that I would move to :)