American parents caught selling chickenpox-infected lollipops

chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I couldn't believe this at first, then I remembered when my kids were young, people used to hold pox parties for the kids.
lollipops_2048951c.jpg
Prosecutors in Tennessee have been forced to issue a warning that sending viruses or diseases by post is illegal, after parcels of the infectious sweets were discovered on sale over the internet.
Wendy Werkit, of Nashville, offered to send other parents a "fresh batch of pox" on lollipops or cotton-buds in return for $50 (£31) via PayPal.
Mrs Werkit told a local television station that she had been inspired to sell the products because parents were frustrated that "they can't get it the normal way any more".
Her advertisement was placed on a Facebook page intended to help parents find a "pox party" in their local area, where children can mix and pick up the virus, which can be more dangerous if suffered later.
Advice for the best way to send chickenpox emerged in a thread of postings on the site. "Tuck it inside a ziplock baggie then put it in the envelope," it said. "Don't put anything identifying it as pox."
Jerry Martin, the US attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee, condemned the practice and said that it was a federal crime to send diseases or viruses across state lines.
"If you are engaged in this type of behaviour, you're not only potentially exposing innocent people to dangerous viruses and illnesses and diseases, you're also exposing yourself potentially to federal criminal prosecution," he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8875158/American-parents-caught-selling-chickenpox-infected-lollipops.html

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    I can't help but seeing Kenny's family from SouthPark when I read this article.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited November 2011
    If I had kids I wouldn't buy some lollipops with viruses on them from random people on the internet. :facepalm:
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Chickenpox is an evil fucker :angry: my Dad, Sister and I all had it at the same time. FUCK YOU, COLD CREAM! Just remember our front room being a quarantine centre and my Mum rushing about on hand and foot. If my Mum had given me a chickenpox lolly, I'd shank her. Seriously. No mother should put their kids through that. I know it's worse as you get older (my dad had it) but it is the sort of thing that will stay with you.
  • edited November 2011
    And what a surprise, she used Facebook to advertise her idea of all places :facepalm: People just make it too easy for themselves to be caught these days, I swear. Chicken Pox ftw though, I had that when I was much younger - I got it off my friends little sister when I was about 10 years old. The best part was, my friend got it from her as well and because we were both off school, me and my friend just hung out for the week :D

Good times.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    Aye, a pox be upon you and yours. An would you like a nice lollipop to go with your pox?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Also, what a great way to scare kids away from eating sweets ;)
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited November 2011
    I think it's quite humane to get your kids to hang out with other kids who have the pox, so they can get it over with, but this is just... retarded.