Hiding Myself

DannyOceanDannyOcean New Arrival
edited November 2011 in Man Cave
Hey all;

I'm wondering if there are any recommendations for my situation.

I bumped into a car in traffic the other day, there is a little damage to my car, which I've fixed. Their car had just some paint transfer from my car.

I stopped and gave my first name and phone number. The driver didn't take down my license plate, as far as I know, and no other witnesses were there at the time.

What are the odds of her finding me? Am I safe to just fuck off? I offered to repair the paint on her car, but she said she wanted a shop to do it, and there's no way I can afford the prices they will charge for a buff.

There's no visible damage to my car, I don't see any proof this even happened, other then my texting her back.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Well you gave her your name and number, which is probably more than enough to find you - especially if she reports it as an offence and the cops get involved. If I were you, I'd just make certain that she believes you when you say you can repair the paint. After all, what's the point in her taking it to the shop when you can do it much cheaper? Unless she's some mean old woman who wants you to suffer...
  • DannyOceanDannyOcean New Arrival
    edited November 2011
    Yes, she is a mean old woman. I guess I'll just have to do whatever she's wanting.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Ahh, that sucks dude. Id start saving up if I were you :)
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    They can usually trace your care registration just through your name as all the insurance companies share details. Heck, if my mate could find a Polish Woman who had rear-bashed into him just through her numberplate, then I'm sure there is a more comprehensive system in the ol' US of A.

If I were you I'd leave the car in a garage somewhere (mates, storage facility) and just say you sold the car to someone for cash as you needed it. It's a big lie, and she can get fucked if she wants to claim insurance over a bit of a scratch.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    She has the right to have a bonded shop do the repairs just pay up before it gets more expensive.
    edited November 2011
    Ya, I have a friend who was willing to do it for $500, rather then the $700+ that all the other shops quoted her.

I'll just pay up, and next time not bump shitty plastic new cars with my steel bumpered 80s BMW.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    Look at it this way dude, if you had a shitty plastic new car too, you would be paying the $700 to her, and the $500 to your friend.
    edited November 2011
    chippy wrote: »
    Look at it this way dude, if you had a shitty plastic new car too, you would be paying the $700 to her, and the $500 to your friend.

AH! True say.

For future reference. Let's say I bumped into someone lightly in traffic. What do I do?
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited November 2011
    Get a plate hider/flipper so you can haul ass out of there.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    If you keep your calm and outright deny any knowledge of the accident you could make it seem like she is a scammer. It's basically her word against yours.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    DannyOcean wrote: »
    AH! True say.

For future reference. Let's say I bumped into someone lightly in traffic. What do I do?

Make sure your insurance premiums are paid current and do the right thing.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited November 2011
    $700 for buffing paint off? Some one is taking the piss or its more than just a bit of transfer. As TDR said, the best bet would be to make sure you always have insurance. Anyone bumps into me when I am the nice car and the first people I call are insurance. I know too many people who have agreed to have the other party pay for repairs, only for that other party never to pay.