Losing Weight: No Bullshit, no fads. How?

ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
edited November 2011 in Life
I've been feeling a bit shitty about my weight recently, and I was hoping to lose some weight. I'm not prepared to do this fad shit, by using laxatives, or throwing up, or special milkshakes.
Here is my progress so far:
  • Since I'm working now, I'm out of bed and walking around more, and since it;s at a school I'm usually on my feet.
  • I've been eating smaller with meals, with smaller plates
  • I've cut out snacking... almost.

Anything else you totseans can recommend? Anyone used to be tubby, but cut down?

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    I recommend The Master Cleanse along with a daily/light calisthenics.
    The Lemonade Diet is the portion of The Master Cleanse during which you consume only the Lemonade. It is a diet in the sense that you are restricted to a certain food. The Lemonade Diet is often used synonymously with The Master Cleanse, but I break it down in order to describe the portion of The Master Cleanse when you consume the nutrients and energy from the Fresh Lemon Juice, Rich Maple Syrup, and Organic Cayenne Pepper.
    The other sections of The Master Cleanse are :
    • The Ease-In
    • The Lemonade Diet (of course)
    • The Salt Water Flush
    • The Ease-Out
    • The Post Cleanse Lifestyle.
    the-master-cleanser1.jpg
    This page is dedicated to the directions to The Lemonade Diet Recipe as well as the ingredients, expectations, problems and experiences myself and the readers of this website have encountered.
    The Lemonade Diet begins with preparing the Lemonade. During the diet, you will only consume the Lemonade that you make each day. In order to ensure that it is fresh and will retain as much of the nutrients and energy as possible, you should prepare the Lemonade just moments before drinking it.
    [h=3]Ingredients for The Lemonade Diet Recipe[/h] To make the Lemonade you will need the following ingredients:
    1. 2 Tablespoons of Fresh Lemon Juice from one half of a Lemon
    2. 2 Tablespoons of Rich Maple Syrup
    3. 1/10 of a Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
    4. 1 – 2 cups of Pure Water (Alkaline Water is best, in my opinion)
    [h=4]To prepare the Lemonade for the Lemonade Diet you will also need the following:[/h] Lemon-juicer-.jpg
    1. 1 large cup to mix your lemonade in
    2. 1 Tablespoon Measure
    3. 1/10 Teaspoon Measure
    4. Cutting Board
    5. Sharp knife
    6. Juicer (Hand juicer or Power juicer)
    [h=2]Directions on making the Lemonade Diet Recipe[/h] Start by rolling a Lemon on the cutting board to get it nice and juicy. Cut the lemon along its belly and grind it on the juicer. Do this until you have juiced half your lemons, or until you have no more room in your juicer.
    1. Measure 2 Tablespoons of Fresh Lemon Juice into your large cup.
    2. Now measure and at 2 Tablespoons of Rich Maple Syrup to the cup.
    3. Measure and add 1/10 Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper to the cup (or more to taste).
    4. Mix a and drink immediately.
    lemonade-diet-ingredients.jpg

While on the Lemonade Diet, you can and should drink plenty of Pure Water. I drink 1 cup as a chaser after each cup of Lemonade. You can drink more throughout the day. Try to avoid drinking more than double the amount of Lemonade each day.
    Drinking enough water helps to wash out the toxins being released out of our body during the cleanse. It also helps to prevent possible headaches as well as feeling of hunger or cravings that surface during the detox.
    [h=4]What do you think of the Lemonade Diet?[/h] Lemonade-Diet-640x2502.jpg
    As an essential part of the Master Cleanse, is the Lemonade Diet difficult or easy? Most people find it pretty hard, but some find it a breeze. How about you? Do you think The Lemonade Diet is easy or hard?
    Instructions, Lemonade Diet, Recipe, The Master Cleanse
  • edited November 2011
    Don't start eating less - eat regularly and healthily or else your metabolism will go to shit and you'll put on weight much more easily. Other than that, I suggest working out as often as you can. Make a plan, stick to the plan. I need to do something similar to get fitter to be honest, although I'm not fat in the slightest. Same principle though :D

And yeah, cutting out on the snacks and junk food is a good idea. Replace the snack with an apple or something, so you're still eating regularly but healthily.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    If you eat less, then you will feel hungry whenever you do eat as your stomach stretches. What TDR suggests is good, but just remember to keep your body topped up with vitamins and minerals as they are the key in losing weight as most (illogical women) just starve themselves like the twats they are, then moan about how they didn't lose weight.
    Best thing to do is just be more motivated to do things. Use the stairs, not the lift. Go for a walk around town to explore. Eat more filling meals with decent stuff in (pasta, rice and sauces with chicken etc) instead of takeaway or microwave/convenience shit.

In other news, I've managed to put on a stone this month. Well chuffed :D
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited November 2011
    One Small thing that Makes a decent difference would be instead of eating 3 large meals a day, eat 6 smaller meals per day. Speeds up your metabolism.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Also I read (on MensHealth I think) that doing a small 10 minute workout in the morning helps speed your metabolism up during the day, too.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    If you eat less, then you will feel hungry whenever you do eat as your stomach stretches. What TDR suggests is good, but just remember to keep your body topped up with vitamins and minerals as they are the key in losing weight as most (illogical women) just starve themselves like the twats they are, then moan about how they didn't lose weight.
    Best thing to do is just be more motivated to do things. Use the stairs, not the lift. Go for a walk around town to explore. Eat more filling meals with decent stuff in (pasta, rice and sauces with chicken etc) instead of takeaway or microwave/convenience shit.

In other news, I've managed to put on a stone this month. Well chuffed :D

The last thing you want to do on the Master Cleanse is supplement. It will throw you off balance. There are plenty of minerals, vitamins, and electrolytes in the lemonade mixture and the rest you pull from stored energy in your fat cells. I recommend 14 - 21 days.
  • blamehoffmanblamehoffman Regular
    edited November 2011
    I dont know much on the subject but drinking alot of water can make you feel more full and thus want to eat less; that's my two cents.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    Don't listen to all the well meaning people who tell you not to eat less. You'll be hungry for a few days then your body will adapt to it. You just have to harden up and bite the bullet.

I really recommend you read the short web-book The Hackers Diet. It treats the problem as basically a numbers game. It used Calories as a reference. I used Carbs.

The basic summary is: Eat less then you burn. Your body will use up your fat. It gets harder as your body adapts. This is the point where you may want to exercise to break the plateau.
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited November 2011
    Wish I could help, I've learned quite a bit about fitness but it's more oriented towards bulking up with functional muscle and maintaining speed, agility, cardio, etc. I'll try to weigh in with what I think could apply.

If you're working out - REALLY working out - that should be enough with what you are doing. Quite frankly it sounds like you're already on track to me. Focus on workouts that leave your muscles really burning, not endurance exercises like jogging. If you're not too overweight, sprinting would help. If you have stationary bikes, put them on the most resistance and really have at it. Fast twitch exercises that really burn off energy. When your body starts going into overdrive, it's going to consume what's available - fat. Lean proteins, calcium sources low in fat, and a touch of natural sugar and potassium will help you be able to continue working out like that but won't be giving you the calories you need to maintain your weight. In other words, you'll burn off more fat. Tuna, carrots, spinach, bananas in moderation, and calcium supplements are your friends here.

Quite frankly, weight is just a number. Don't shoot for a target weight. Shoot for a body fat percentage and physique. Keep your muscles in good shape and don't let your bone mass wither away by starving yourself of the nutrients you need to maintain them. You are going to crave calories and salt when your metabolism kicks up but you can't let yourself give in to that. Find snacks you can eat to your heart's content but are low in calories. Again, I've never had to go through losing weight. It doesn't sound very fun to me, so I wish you the best in the struggle to curb cravings.

Some things I've heard are that vinegar can decrease appetite and jello is pretty popular among fighters and wrestlers trying to cut weight because it makes you feel full but it's mostly water and "empty" content. Might be worth researching, maybe spike water with apple cider vinegar if you can stand the taste.

I've also heard that most of the things you are doing are the way to go. Small plates psyche your mind out into being satisfied when you finish, as if you've had a full meal. Exercise is better than any weight-loss oriented diet out there. Walking is great. If nothing else, it keeps your mind in physical activity mode and helps your blood pressure and cholesterol. There's more to the game than body fat. I've always been a lean guy but as recent as 2007 I loved soda and sugar. My blood pressure was getting high and I was probably a heart attack waiting to happen. "Skinny" =/= fit.

Good luck man, you are giving yourself the best thing you can possibly have: good health.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited November 2011
    ^ Woah man, that seems like the simplest selection to go for. I'll deffinitly try all the things you suggested. Thanks!

I'll be sure to update my goings on, and see if I can get a regular thing going. I might also try the lemonade diet, and see what happens :D
  • edited November 2011
    Take a look at the Royal Marines workout. I don't suppose you'd actually want to attempt it, but notice how it's structured and what sort of stuff they do during the week. You could encorporate your own workout into that structure, make sure you've got a day's rest in there somewhere (as this is when your body recovers) and really go for it. Keep it consistent, make sure you feel the burn, and just stick to it.