Swearing and Cursing

ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
People don't like cursing, I understand that... but why do people hate it so much to not want it to happen, even when they're not around people who cuss?

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, and I agree, there are a lot of people who will swear at any given time, but mature people, like you and me, swear only when necessary, and we know when it's not appropriate to swear. I'm not going to meet the Queen and greet her with; "How the fuck are you?" because we all know that's not appropriate. But if I'm with a friend, I could say something like "Oh shit, I left my car unlocked!" because it seems appropriate, I'm shocked and annoyed at the same time.

That's just what I think anyway, when do you guys find it appropriate to cuss?

inb4 "All the fuckin' time"

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Same as OP for me. If I'm in any remotely formal situation I don't at all, unless something really serious comes up, in which case I'll throw in a single word to express my strong opinion. The same goes for when I'm talking to people I don't know well, even in a casual situation.

My dad never swears unless he's absolutely furious about something, and he reprimands me for even minor cussing.
  • edited November 2011
    It's good to swear when it's appropriate. Contrary to some really shallow-minded people's beliefs, swearing doesn't make you any less of an intelligent person. Watch this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    Fuck if I know why the hell people get their goddamned panties in a bunch over swearing.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited November 2011
    you can swear all you want to your friends because they won't judge you from what you have to say..

Swearing in front of clients..people you have influence over, or even people who have influence over you..is not okay because it makes you look too buddy buddy..and you don't want to be a buddy to those kind of people...even when you are selling yourself...like at dates..they may or may not judge you..and if they are..they aren't trying to be buddy-buddy..they are trying to see if they can be a future partner..so we have to choose our words carefully..

sorry if this doesnt makes sense! just my opinion :P

To others..it can also mean that you have no control of what you say..so it will lower your credibility with them
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited November 2011
    I dug the Stephen Fry video.

Never really found myself offended by swearing.
    Out of courtesy, if I know someone finds it blatantly offensive, I'll try to watch my tongue.
    In all reality, I think the reason I swear so much these days is I spent so much time touting a higher than average vocabulary.
    I began to realize no one had a fucking clue what I was talking about half the time.
    Bringing down the level of vocabulary and saying "fucking this" or "piece of shit that" generally helped get my point across.

I don't by any means feel it's a sign of a poor vocabulary, though.
    It has the ability to add some flair to your language.
    Think about it.
    How many times have you sat through a boring history lesson about WWII?
    Sucked, didn't it?
    At best, you payed attention enough to pass your exams.
    What if your professor started the section out with "So, Hitler. Seriously. Fuck that guy."
    I bet you would have listened a little closer.
    It's not so much a matter of using the vernacular of a particular youth generation.
    You're bringing attention to your statements many would usually brush off.
    Do note, the attention is only given when used with proper context, and not over-used.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2011
    I don't swear but some times I do, my dad swears a lot, he can't end his day without letting out some big FUCKING words, compared to him, I am an innocent 13 year old girl reading about dicks. Seriously. And yes, I don't swear in my home just because I don't like doing it and I don't care if you swear.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited November 2011
    I dropped the C bomb in front of a full counter a maccas when I was working:(

was a tad embarrassing
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Spinster wrote: »
    I dropped the C bomb in front of a full counter a maccas when I was working:(

was a tad embarrassing

I do it quite often when the shit computer system that pak n slave uses fucks with me. Fuck I hate working for that place.
    edited November 2011
    I do it quite often when the shit computer system that pak n slave uses fucks with me. Fuck I hate working for that place.

that why I love working in a workshop, you can use all the effins and c's you want! :D
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    that why I love working in a workshop, you can use all the effins and c's you want! :D

Amen to that. Last place I worked at, the boss would joke about anal sex and anything filthy in general.
    edited November 2011
    Amen to that. Last place I worked at, the boss would joke about anal sex and anything filthy in general.

I'v worked at a place this this :D
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited November 2011
    I will happily use everything but the word cunt in all forms of company if I feel it appropriate. In some cases I may swear to excess, but only when telling a joke / anecdote / tale. If it is appriate to use them at work, with family, or what ever company I choose, I decide. Fuck any cunt who dictates how I use the English language.

An honest use of the English Language in that you use what you know, rather than the shit some can babble in an atempt to sound less stupid than they are. As long as the swearing does not come with any kind of threat, it is not a problem.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited November 2011

It gets better when a self proclaimed "lingere and romance superstore" opens right next to the shop you work at.
    Trust me.