US Congress rules Pizza can be classed as a vegetable

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Just wow. No wonder they want the Protect IP and other acts to be debated :facepalm:
PIZZA CAN BE classed as a vegetable – at least according to a decision made by the US Congress. Who knew?

American lawmakers have ruled that the amount of tomato paste in pizza sauce means that pizzas can be counted as a vegetable.

Source.

Source 2.

Bet Jamie Oliver is in tears :hai:

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    According to definition:
    vegetable

[vej-tuh-buhthinsp.pngl, vej-i-tuh-] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gifOrigin
    veg·e·ta·ble

   [vej-tuh-buhthinsp.pngl, vej-i-tuh-] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA
    noun 1. any plant whose fruit, seeds, roots, tubers, bulbs, stems, leaves, or flower parts are used as food, as the tomato, bean, beet, potato, onion, asparagus, spinach, or cauliflower.

2. the edible part of such a plant, as the tuber of the potato.

3. any member of the vegetable kingdom; plant.

4. Informal . a person who is so severely impaired mentally or physically as to be largely incapable of conscious responses or activity.

5. a dull, spiritless, and uninteresting person.

The only thing in this story that could be accurately called a vegetable are the legislators who voted that pizza is a vegetable.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited November 2011
    This is good news, now I can eat all the pizza I want and still be healthy/not get fat. :thumbsup:

:facepalm:
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    I was thinking the Congresspeople were vegetables. It's defined as one due to the Tomato content (in the puree). Messed up, I know. Still, a novel talking point for current affairs.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    I was thinking the Congresspeople were vegetables. It's defined as one due to the Tomato content (in the puree). Messed up, I know. Still, a novel talking point for current affairs.

Except that the fools forgot that a Tomato is a fruit and not a vegetable.
  • FriggenDaneFriggenDane Semo-Regulars
    edited November 2011
    Finally, Congress does something that I care about.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Except that the fools forgot that a Tomato is a fruit and not a vegetable.

This. Fucking morons.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited November 2011
    That's like saying my printer is a vegetable because it doesn't contain any meat.

Are these guys serious?