Why DO we do that?

ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Before I start, I should mention I work with pretty much all females:

While sitting with a few other teachers at school today, while the kids were gone, we were talking about horror movies, then that moved onto video games. They all asked "Why DO they play video games?" Saying it was bad for people. Well sure, I mean, giving a CoD or GTA or GoW game to these 7-8 year old kids, it'd be bad, because they're too young to process it. I told them I recently played L.A. Noire, and told them the stuff you can see in it. They then proceeded to say; "Why would someone put that in a game?"

I was about to retort; but then I realized... why DID they put that in a game? I mean, I tried to explain I play games mainly for story lines and entertainment. Not to see naked dead women in parks, or to kill people, but I don't think it came out the right way. I seem to look like an ass now and I was hoping to think of something to say to them on Monday. Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Psh. You put content into video games because it enhances the player's experience, and makes things more entertaining. Killing people in games is great fun - not just because you can't do that kind of thing in real life, but because it makes a game fun to play if you're submerged in the storyline. You play COD for example, you expect to kill people just because it's what the game is about. How shit would GTA be if you couldn't steal cars, kill people and run over prostitutes?

That's why graphic content is in games - because it's pretty much needed if it suits the style of game you're playing.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited November 2011
    It's like reading a book or watching a movie ... You are playing a character (most of the time) and that dude is expected to be who he is like in any story ... Ted bundys gonna rape, scarface is gonna kill, niggers gonna nigg if you didn't put this stuff in video games they woul be shit
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2011
    Dude, learn from the player. You could have easily diverted the topic towards TV, stressing what they see on Games isn't really that bad because it's something that the current generation wants and likes to see and it has a certain amount of appeal to it, you can then argue about MTV shows and other shows like Dexter and how much explicit they have become and if not that you can argue or reason with them, that those extra bits are what people actually pay for because it's something they can't see or do IRL and hence they take their deep fantasies and try them in game.

And you can argue that naked girls is more for the entertainment of men and then you can take their side and talk about how the Game industry and music etc industry is exploiting kids by this and that and finally once you're on page with them you can start targeting them by saying why do they still show drama featuring heart broken girls etc or if you want to get laid, you can divert them towards a different but related topic which focuses on using games for training soldiers or talking about using different type of games you can learn or enhance your perception.

I mean there are literally tons of ways for winning this argument especially with girls. Wish I was in your place at that point (with my body and mind btw)
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited November 2011
    Video games let people experience stuff that they normally wouldn't get a chance to. You get a chance to be a detective or a race car driver or a pilot, stuff that most people would never be able to do in real life. Even though there is killing in video games, kids (12 and up) understand that you can't kill people in real life. I mean, you don't see the millions of people that played COD or GTA go on shooting sprees.

Also the content in violent video games really isn't that bad. Sure you get to shoot people but that's really the extent of it. You don't go running around in GTA raping kids or some shit like that. Movies have way worse shit in them. Just look at A Serbian Film, it's legal while if a video game had that stuff it would never get sold/approved/whatever.

And in L.A. Noire, the naked chick is in there so that you can find her murderer. You're doing good in that game.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    We didn't have video games when I was under 12 (other than PONG). But we did take toy guns out in the woods and play army as little kids. When we played army we "shot" and "killed" one another and understood you could not do it for real a few years later when we were 15 and had .22's and 12 gauges. So I don't see the big deal about it in video games so long as parents don't use them as babysitters.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    It's realism. Games like LA Noire have stretched the concept into dystopian surrealism (which ultimately is what all realism really is ; on different levels). It sells.
  • HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
    edited November 2011
    You play video games because they are fed to you by the mass media. Sex and violence are a major part of the illuminati agenda.
    edited November 2011
    You play video games because they are fed to you by the mass media. Sex and violence are a major part of the illuminati agenda.

The conspiracy forum is that way, but I suggest you finish baking that one or put it here.
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited November 2011
    Games are a form of story telling, albeit interactive they are in many ways no different than a book or movie, these kinds of things exist in games to create a sense of belief. Asking why violent or disturbing things are in games is akin to asking why there are corpses on CSI, or fist fights in kung fu movies, they are there because it creates some modicum of believability and immersion. I think games are fast approaching the stage where they can be considered an art form and as with any art form the elements used serve to further the experience. Games have to be looked at like that now I think, just as you wouldn't take your child to see a film like Saving Private Ryan you wouldn't let them play GTA. This is all my opinion of course and there are many who will simply argue that their is no excuse for mature content in games.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited November 2011
    Turn the tables on the fuckers. It is for me, complete escapism - a chance for my brain to melt away into relaxation by playing a game. Ask them, do they find it too close to what they want to do or if they fear a society that could be as such? Whatever their answer, it is just a game.

What type of games should adults be allowed to buy, own, trade, download and play? I know a line must exist somewhere, but where is it drawn? I have not seen or heard of a game I would ban on moral grounds.

But back to yourself, you did say you were about to retort. Well, what were you about to retort with? Give them that or if questioned, explain why you play games. It may well not get mentioned and so I would not push the issue, but I would not be surprised if some did say to you they enjoyed playing such games but xyz mouthy cunt had cut you off. It is just the way of things.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited November 2011
    Nice work guys. I used all a bit of your examples and told them to her.

She ended up just going "Yeah... I suppose it is.." I don't know if she was saying that to just shit me up, or she realized what I just totally owned her.

Good job :D
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    In my opinion the sex, violence and gore are there just for the money. The more of each of them there is in a game, the more kids talk about it. The more they talk about it, the more of their peers want to play the game. Same old same old, sex and violence sells.

ETA ^ this, and the Illuminate make them put it in.
    edited November 2011
    chippy wrote: »
    In my opinion the sex, violence and gore are there just for the money. The more of each of them there is in a game, the more kids talk about it. The more they talk about it, the more of their peers want to play the game. Same old same old, sex and violence sells.

ETA ^ this, and the Illuminate make them put it in.

Don't you mean the Illuminate allows them to put it in?