Music used to be better

chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
edited December 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Is it me or was music better when the bands were formed by musicians.

Where did the music go?

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    Didn't you hear? Weren't you there? The day the music died...

• chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited December 2011
    I nearly posted that, there are too many classics to chose from from that era. I feel sorry for my daughter. She probably will never see the birth of a classic. There hasn't been one for years now.
    edited December 2011
    I know you know the problem. The grey suits in offices decide what is recorded and how it is composed and presented not the artists.
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, pretty faces sell music nowadays, not the music itself.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited December 2011
    I love every single one of those songs!
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited December 2011
    Call me a nerd but Fallout 3 got me really interested in big band music. Since playing that I went out and explored a bunch of different artists from the WW2 era and found the general feel of the songs to be upbeat and good to listen to. I think the problem is that today people get too wrapped up in going with what's in style and not listening to what resonates with chords in their soul.

That said, I'm also largely a metal head and listen to what I can only assume most people here would consider "crap" in the form of Amon Amarth, Heathen Foray, etc.
    edited December 2011
    Even the metal isn't as good as it used to be.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited December 2011
    Procol Harum are an awesome group.
    edited December 2011
    I love Procol Harum. There are just so many epic bands from that era. Too many to mention. What do the kids have now to call their own. Mc Fly?
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited December 2011
    I like a pretty wide range of metal, personally. Old and new. The only thing I don't like is when it starts crossing into emo crap or excessive screamo where you can literally flip through about 50 bands on YouTube and every single one sounds exactly the same. Exactly the same, absolutely no variation in vocals and no recognizable riffs to stand out from the crowd. *yawn* That said, Metallica is my workout music lately so no need to preach about them. :D
    edited December 2011
    Rob Zombie!

this is the kinda metal I get into, Static x is also wicked
  • ThatfriedKidThatfriedKid Acolyte
    edited December 2011
    I think it's subjective to what style of music you're listening too. Rap music has gone too shit, but EDM is flourishing in many of it's subgenres.

But that's also subjective to opinion. A lot of the older heads hate whats going on with the popular genres of EDM (namely dubstep) but the innovation in production software is totally opening doors when it comes to creating new sounds.

But I agree, rock music used to be way better.
    edited December 2011
    I'm not saying there isn't good music around nowadays because there is. My tastes are very wide ranging. With a teenage daughter I try to keep up with the music scene. What I mean though is where are the classics. Where are the tracks that are going to be played year in year out on national radio, where are the legends. We seemed to be inundated with them a few decades ago. Now there are a couple of bands, and they seem to last 5 minutes.

Zeplin released stairway to heaven 40 years ago this year. It still inspires kids to take up the guitar. What guitar hero inspires kids in the last decade?
    edited December 2011
    Saul Hudson unfortunately...
  • ThatfriedKidThatfriedKid Acolyte
    edited December 2011
    chippy wrote: »
    I'm not saying there isn't good music around nowadays because there is. My tastes are very wide ranging. With a teenage daughter I try to keep up with the music scene. What I mean though is where are the classics. Where are the tracks that are going to be played year in year out on national radio, where are the legends. We seemed to be inundated with them a few decades ago. Now there are a couple of bands, and they seem to last 5 minutes.

Zeplin released stairway to heaven 40 years ago this year. It still inspires kids to take up the guitar. What guitar hero inspires kids in the last decade?

Ah word, I feel you on that. I'm at the tail end of my teen years and the popular music for kids my age is pretty sickening to me. There will be "classics" for my generation, but mostly shit you had to grow up too for it to be a "throwback" track. The only thing I can think off the top of my head that would be a classic to my generation (Generation Y) is Get low by Lil Jon and Dem East Side Boyz.

Hate it or enjoy it, that's a classic to my generation.

But I agree, there isn't rock music on the radio inspiring kids to take up making a band, learning guitar. But bands like Avenged Sevenfold and some other shit I don't listen to is inspiring kids to do just that, it's just not on being broadcast on the radio (as far as I can tell, the traditional rock station in my area was changed to conservative talk radio :facepalm:). Most kids stick with the classics from the past when they want their fill of traditional rock (mostly pre grunge, but everyone has their nirvana stage :rolleyes:).

But ya I'm pretty much on the same page as you, rock's dead and I'm thinking we're going to have to wait until my generation is older to get back a traditional rock group. There are a few kids I know who still form bands without trying to make it metalcore/indie/post-rock.
    edited December 2011
    ^haha that song goes mad on my sub.

I know Im 19 and i hate most of the music today. alot of it sounds like space invaders with someone singing into an electric fan over top of it. the only time any metal is played on the radio is late at night when the "Axe attack" show is playing on The Rock. i dont think rock is dead, its just shit now lol

now this, this is NOT music. congrates if you can listen to the whole thing. I cant

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-fdECz3mV4
    edited December 2011
    Well it is the screamo version lol even Adelle sounds crap when treated to the screamo effect.
    edited December 2011
    KILL IT WITH FIRE!
  • scotchscotch Semo-Regulars
    edited December 2011

It rarely gets more musical than this, unfortunately.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2011
    Couldn't agree with you more, Chippy. I love the Moody Blues and a good bit of 60s/70s music. I do despair when I see/hear music nowadays.

It's not even music. Who the fuck am I kidding? :facepalm:

Gotta love the fact my Famiy go to Rolling Stone Parties and meet Keith Richards on a regular basis...and nicked the "Toilet" sign from a party a few years ago, that's now in our house :D Pass the LSD and tunes!

And this...

1. Creed has sold more records in the U.S. than Jimi Hendrix

2. Led Zepplin, R.E.M. and Depeche Mode have never had a number one single. Rihanna has had 10

3. Ke$ha's "Tik-Tok" has sold more copies than any Beatles single ever.

4. Flo Rida's "Low" has sold 8 million copies - the same as The Beatles "Hey Jude"

5. The Black Eyed Peas "Ive got a feeling" is more popular than any Simon & Garfunkel or Elvis song.

6. Celine Dion's “Falling Into You” sold more copies than any Queen, Nirvana, or Bruce Springsteen record.

7. Same with Shania Twain's “Come On Over”

8. Katy Perry holds the same record as Michael Jackson for most number one singles from an album.

9. Barbra Streisand has sold more records (140 million) than Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash, and Tom Petty combined.

10. People actually bought Billy Ray Cyrus' album “Some Gave All…” 20 million people. More than any Bob Marley album.

11. The cast of “Glee” has had more songs chart than the Beatles.

12. Justin Beiber exists.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2011
    Aaaand double post FTW

Anyone see the similarity? Pretty crappy "talent", eh?

edited December 2011
    There are some good artists today but they are mostly independent and impossible to find.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited December 2011
    Where everyone could play the instrument they were expected to play, instead of one dude doing 6 or so instruments on fuckin fr00ty LUpez...:mad:
    edited December 2011
    HAHA and record companies wine about music downloading pfff greedy fuckers.

But the point I want to make was this.

Untitled2.png

the population is that much bigger now and the western music reaches a wider audience now as third world countrys develope. It would be interesting to see these same facts being told in copies sold per person or ratio of copies : people.
    edited December 2011
    Spinster wrote: »
    HAHA and record companies wine about music downloading pfff greedy fuckers.

But the point I want to make was this.

Untitled2.png

the population is that much bigger now and the western music reaches a wider audience now as third world countrys develope. It would be interesting to see these same facts being told in copies sold per person or ratio of copies : people.

The recording and movies folks want to both claim damages. For there to be damages there must be a demonstrable loss. I contend that there is no loss based on the following. What the software industry understands and both the recording and movie industries fail to grasp is this. There are two types of people who pirate. The first type is the one who can not afford to buy what they are pirate. Being as they have no money they can not be your customer. They did not walk into your store, put something in their pocket that you had a hard cost to acquire, and walk out the door with it. Nor did they download it and sell it at a discount to someone who may have bought a legit copy and thereby cause damage. This type of person will never be your customer unless their financial situation changes. The second type of person who pirates is the protestor. They may or may not be able to afford your product. But they will never buy it as they take issue with the EULA and restriction you place on something they pay for. When they buy a car they can let anyone they want use it. They can modify it or back-engineer it. They can do anything they want with it, they bought, they paid for it, and they own it. This type of person will never be your customer and therefor there is again no loss unless they were to sell it at a discount to an actual potential customer of yours.

The reason the software industry gets it and the other two don't is that the software guys were born into piracy. Piracy and the software industry have matured and flourished together from the same source. The music and movies folks can't get it as they go back over 80 years when distribution was a truck full of records, a movie theater, or a radio station. Home media was nonexistent. When the digital age launched they lacked the vision in the early years to embrace it fully and got way behind the curve in the 90's. Now they have iTunes, Amazon, and various other online distribution points but the cat is already out of the bag. Had they, in the mid 90's say, put together a digital distribution mechanism, cut the cost of a CD from $15 - $20 down to $5 - $10 )as there is a huge production savings with digital delivery vs brick and mortar or shipping and actual hard copy product) they could have trained the public while the internet was still in it's infancy to buy from them. Instead of $1.00 per song if they charged just $.25 they would probably make just as much if not more money from increased volume had they not got behind the curve.

The bottom line is they are never going to stop it and they know it.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited December 2011
    I was going to post a bitchy reply about all the good bands that exist nowadays, but I cant come up with a recent song off the top of my head that rivals House of the Rising Sun as mentioned in post #1 or a band that rivals Led Zepp as mentioned in post #14, so I suppose I'll have to begrudgingly accept the original statement.

To quote Freaks and Geeks:

"I Believe in God. His name is John Bonham and he plays drums for Led Zepplin".