RAM question

1357913579 Death Cog Machine
edited December 2011 in Tech & Games
I have a x58 i7 motherboard with 6 RAM slots, triple-channel.

Is it faster to have 3 sticks of ram with 4GB on them (12 GB, one triple channel) or 6 sticks of ram with 2GB on them (12 GB, two triple channel).

I've heard that 3 sticks at 4GB is better because it puts less stress on the memory controller, but wouldn't I get more bandwidth running two triple channels than one?

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited December 2011
    I'd go with 6 sticks of ram with 2GB on them (12 GB, two triple channel). It's the option with the greatest performance gain.

Stress means very little in regards to digital circuitry.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2011
    ^That, which is the maximum RAM limit on your Motherboard? Mine is 32GB
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited December 2011
    Alright, thanks. Ordered the 6 2GB sticks off newegg. Kinda what I assumed, but whenever I looked it up I could only find answers not considering 6 slots with triple-channel. RAM limit is 24GB, I'm using only one gig right now with win7 64 bit. Shit is laggyyy, about the only game that doesn't lag is Deadspace. Skyrim is horrible.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2011
    13579 wrote: »
    Alright, thanks. Ordered the 6 2GB sticks off newegg. Kinda what I assumed, but whenever I looked it up I could only find answers not considering 6 slots with triple-channel. RAM limit is 24GB, I'm using only one gig right now with win7 64 bit. Shit is laggyyy, about the only game that doesn't lag is Deadspace. Skyrim is horrible.

What! 1GB dude...

That's insane. My Firefox uses 2GB of RAM.

firefox2gb.jpg
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited December 2011
    JESUS TITTY FUCKING NIGGERS HOLY SHIT BALLS.

GOT 12 GIGS. EVERYTHING FAST. HOLY FUCK.

If anything takes beyond 3 seconds to load, then I know the program has crashed. So. Goddamned. Fast.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited December 2011
    It should be fast, you've probably got more Gigs of Ram than Chuck Norris!!!
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2011
    13579 wrote: »
    JESUS TITTY FUCKING NIGGERS HOLY SHIT BALLS.

GOT 12 GIGS. EVERYTHING FAST. HOLY FUCK.

If anything takes beyond 3 seconds to load, then I know the program has crashed. So. Goddamned. Fast.

Yeah, I know the feeling, reminds me of the bed.