Bear Grylls

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited January 2012 in Life
What do you guys think of him? I just watched my first episode of his Born Survivor program and I have to say he is a good guy - in the sense he gets to where he needs to, but there is a ton of sensationalism.
I mean, if you gave the guy a ladder into an attic, he would throw a rope up and round a beam to go up instead. Survival wise it seems he would burn a ton more calories than if he wasn't so adventurous...or sensationalist.

Plus my feet were tingling throughout the entire thing. Good tips, but I wouldn't follow him.

Discuss!

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2012
    sunisgoing.png

No offense but I always lol whenever watching his show. I mean the meme just males me LAWL badly. I liked his methods but I am sure I wouldn't be using any of them in near future.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited January 2012
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    I never realised the bloody picture was him lol.
    And yeah Dfg, I'm the same. Funky methods that are fun to watch, but really no point to them. Not if you're the layman, anyway.
  • _Abe__Abe_ New Arrival
    edited January 2012
    Bear Grylls.. He's just a meme nowadays.. Les Stroud (Survivorman) however, is THE man! :thumbsup:
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    _Abe_ wrote: »
    Bear Grylls.. He's just a meme nowadays.. Les Stroud (Survivorman) however, is THE man! :thumbsup:

Quoted for truth. None of this pussy cameraman and the like :thumbsup:
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2012
    _Abe_ wrote: »

Les Stroud is an idiot and gives 0 good advice. I remember watching him do something in Costa Rica where he drank a fuck load of coconut milk - way to shit yourself to death in a survival situation. Grylls does some fucking risky stuff, but everything he does, he explains - he teaches. He normally only carries a leatherman and a bit of para cord where as stroud carried a pack with god knows what in it.

Grylls does have a certain 'made for TV' about what he does, I will not deny a lot of the scenarios he sets up range from a couple of hundred yards to a couple of miles from a road, but anyone that was making a real educational programme on survival would do this if they had half a brain cell. With Grylls, you can tell he ex SAS right away by his thoughts and how he discusses them, where as Stroud seems to me a bit more of a show off.

They are different people with differnt skills however. However, both Ray Mears and Les Hiddins (bushtucker man) have more sense and knowledge than Grylls and Stroud combined.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited January 2012
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Les Stroud is an idiot and gives 0 good advice. I remember watching him do something in Costa Rica where he drank a fuck load of coconut milk - way to shit yourself to death in a survival situation. Grylls does some fucking risky stuff, but everything he does, he explains - he teaches. He normally only carries a leatherman and a bit of para cord where as stroud carried a pack with god knows what in it.

Grylls does have a certain 'made for TV' about what he does, I will not deny a lot of the scenarios he sets up range from a couple of hundred yards to a couple of miles from a road, but anyone that was making a real educational programme on survival would do this if they had half a brain cell. With Grylls, you can tell he ex SAS right away by his thoughts and how he discusses them, where as Stroud seems to me a bit more of a show off.

They are different people with differnt skills however. However, both Ray Mears and Les Hiddins (bushtucker man) have more sense and knowledge than Grylls and Stroud combined.

Fuck that shit. You're so wrong...

First of all, NO ONE is fit like Bear Grylls. 99% of the shit he does cannot be done by the average Joe. You're giving Les Stroud shit for drinking coconut milk (when there was NO other source of clean water around), when Bear Grylls bites the head off of a dog and then immediately climbs up a 300 meter rock wall instead of WALKING AROUND IT.

Bear also does his "ice expeditions" 30 meters from a road - with cars driving by (that's why he had to add a disclaimer at the beginning of his show). He has an entire crew with God knows how many trucks, vans, crew, caterers, massage therapists, and 15 helicopters standing by. Les does have a lot of shit/gear, but he only takes what he can carry on his back, OR he makes multiple trips. He stays out there, alone, for a week. Bear gets out of his Porche, puts on some dirty clothes, and then does some backflips off of a 100 meter waterfall and calls it “surviving”.

The point is, neither one will show you how to survive much longer than a week, but with Bears' advice you'd probably make it a day.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2012
    Week or a day, does not matter, you are dead. Bear shows you what it is possible to do, which will expand you thinking. Les shows comming survival skills that any experienced outdoorsman would know anyway. Grylls' programme is not 'do as I do', it is pure escapism, made for TV that happens to get you thinking outside of the box.

And yes, I will give Stroud shit for drinking the coconut milk. In a survival situation, this will lead to your death quicker than waiting the time it would take for you to die of dehydration.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited January 2012
    Man vs wild - to me it dosnt scream how to survive in the bush. Its Bear fighting nature, its supose to be an exciting show to watch. I dont think it is seriously trying to show you how to survive. a few survival facts are thrown in but Bear has to explain what he is doing, otherwise you would think "why the fuck is he eating a spider? wouldnt it be poisonous?".

Man vs wild is not a how to survive show.