External Hard Drive, why do you curse me?

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited January 2012 in Spurious Generalities
So I woke up this morning and clicked on "My Computer", thinking "Shit, 500GB free on my 1TB external HDD?"

Clicked on it and found out most of my archived collection of pictures from my travels, old-school stand up VHS rips and the like have all gone.
All I'm gonna say is thank fuck for recovery software and the ability to leave my computer alone for 10 hours.
recovery.png

Might start saving up for a new external HDD and use it purely as an emergency image recovery drive. This is becoming more and more frequent now.
Any other tips to avoid this happening? I intend on making a recovery image as soon as it's backed-up

Comments

• PacoPaco me administrator
    edited January 2012
    I would be fucking pissed. This thread made me want to back up my external.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2012
    Wait a minute, how the hell that happened?
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Oh... Now you got me worried!!
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2012
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Lol I saw that TDR and instantly thought "Han Solo can save me?" but I may invest in a solution like that. You can't put a price on data. Especially my amount. So far the Recuva program is 63% done with 4 hours remaining. Let's say there is a lot of refiling/reordering to do but at least the files are there. I have a feeling one of my backups clashed (as I set them for between 1 and 4:30am) and that's what messed it up, although why did it delete some things and not others? Strange.
    Hopefuly that will answer Dfg's question. I just don't know. I just have to do some scouring around for an image creator of a drive to recover in case this happens again. So glad I got on it as soon as I did, and a good defrag is in order.
    I declare tonight to be...Computer Spring Clean Night!
    edited January 2012
    Turns out every file was corrupted.
    On the plus side - I have a clean slate.
    On the bad side - I've lost 2 years of work, music, pictures (travel, family, personal etc) and music.

Fuck my life. Even had a mini panic attack to go with it. 10mg valium and some morphine with a cigarette. Not the healthiest, but the fact all my housemates have moved back and I'm in no mood to speak to any of them, or other students for that matter - I am eternally grateful I have my &T family.
    Like I've said many times before, if it weren't for you guys, I don't think I'd be around. Time to play some Rise of Nations and reload/recheck all my torrents. They are my backups.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2012
    I had something like this happen to me once. Almost cried. I managed to find a lot of redundant copies of most of the important stuff on other PCs and email. carbonite is great, well priced as well.

I found a 500gb Hard drive once, was full of some girls holiday memorabilia. A moral battle was raging inside me as i really need a new Hard drive. ended up handing it in to security.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2012
    Try some of the tools found on Hirens Boot CD before you give up.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Sorry to hear that mate :( Thankyou for giving me the realization that I need to backup my stuff though, uploading docs and pics to Sugarsync as I type.
    edited January 2012
    Will try out the recovery disk. Got a new 1TB hard drive just in case and will report back once I am back at University.