BitTorrent launches rival to Dropbox

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited February 2012 in Spurious Generalities
I was thinking this should go in the News and Politics section - but I did find it on the web. I'm half tempted to give it a go, as I can't see any limit due to it not being cloud-like, which Dropbox is.
However I don't think I can abandon Dropbox as it's been a lifesaver (Dad kills me for expensive MMS messages, and now I can send a URL to a mate on a phone and they can look at candid pervy party photos that way).

Without further-a-do:
BitTorrent Inc. is mostly known for the development of the uTorrent and BitTorrent Mainline clients, but today the company adds another piece of software to its arsenal.

Dubbed “Share,” the new application is targeted at people who want to share large files with a private group of people, as opposed to uploading them via a public BitTorrent site for all the world to see. With the tagline “No more storage limits. No more fees” it also takes a stab at the increasingly popular cyberlockers.

The freaky thing is the website layout looks a lot like Facebook. Security is always an issue for me. Even with Dropbox.

http://www.getshareapp.com/

Comments

• angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited January 2012
    Fuck looks like one big honey pot to me.
    No way I'm trusting that.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2012
    Free uploads? Sign me up~
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited February 2012
    omg! Itz failbuk...:eek:
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited February 2012
    It doesn't seem like too bad of an idea, it's more or less just personal torrents. You add something to your share, you link it to your friend and you seed it, they download it. Once they have it downloaded, they will also automatically seed it to anyone else who downloads it.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited February 2012
    hmpf. This reminds me of DC++, only decentralised. uTorrent is starting to become really interesting.

WIndows only though :(