A Kick in the Right Direction - Totseans.com Mass Upgrade Project (April 2012)

Introduction

Ever since starting at University, I haven't been around as much as I used to be. I've been incredibly pressed for time and as a result, checking up on this community has been one of the things right at the back of my mind. However, whenever I DID manage to come back and visit, I couldn't help noticing something. It's no secret that this place has been sitting still for the past few months. We lost members to other communities and IRL ties and the majority of them may never return, and ever since the domain change we've had to pretty much start all over again. All the hard work put into getting the name of "Totse.info" has been made fairly redundant, and the change to Totseans.com has certainly set us right back in terms of our general internet presence.

Nevertheless, this community still has a lot to offer. The intentions are certainly there, and our goal of providing a community to those who wish to share their information, work and ideas to the world is certainly a reachable one if we all put the effort in. The only problem, no one is going to take us seriously at this stage in time. Our userbase has taken a massive axe as mentioned earlier, and while we've still got a few committed members left, the outside world will still see us as an inactive community who is just like any other forum on the internet. This has got to change.

We've got a good number of DEDICATED members here. We've got members who have the power to make serious changes to Totseans.com, and we NEED to embrace this power, aiming our ability to push ourselves in the right directions. This is why I propose that we make the following changes to our community...
When is This Happening?

Planning stages are happening right now, with the creation of this thread to listen to your opinions and thoughts and document them in a readable fashion.
However, we will implement these changes throughout the month of April, commencing April 1st.

What Needs to be Done?

Frontend, CMS and Other Pages
  • Decide on a theme which works, and leave it. We need to associate ourselves with a theme which not only WORKS, but gives us an image. At risk of beating a dead horse here, remember the Totse.com color scheme? People see that, and think TOTSE. People see our current theme and think "generic Wordpress theme". The logo isn't bad though, although it looks strange in it's current position. I'm no website designer so I can't really suggest anything there.
  • Get the articles correctly tagged, layed out correctly with all errors fixed. This is work for our team of editors, including myself, RemadE and whoever else has CMS access. Thirdrock also has temporary CMS access and can also help out with the rest of the tagging (as together we fixed 80% of the articles over Christmas).
  • FIXED - Fix the ToS. We STILL have references to "Totse.info" in there, making our ToS absolutely pointless. Fix this ASAP.
  • Reconsider accessibility. How easy is it to actually navigate the CMS? I've had people asking me how to access the forum, so consider this point especially as part of your changes.
  • Reconsider Wordpress Plugins. Think carefully about the WP plugins we're using and ask yourself, "do we REALLY need this?". While you're doing it, think about the impact the plugins have on the site and whether or not they actually enhance the user's experience. Also remember that a lot of Wordpress vulnerabilities come through insecure plugins.
  • Fix grammar and spelling mistakes. We have plenty of them around the place, one pointed out by Chippy a few posts below this one. These don't look pretty.

Totseans Forum
  • Extend the CMS theme onto the forum, so there is a completely smooth transition between the two. No one wants to click onto a forum and find it looking like a completely different website, with different logos and colors altogether. Keep the same color scheme as the one you're creating for the CMS.
  • Fix grammar and spelling mistakes. We have plenty of them around the place, one pointed out by Chippy a few posts below this one. These don't look pretty.
  • Update/Remove/Create Stickies. Many of the current stickies are very old and outdated. They should either be removed altogether, or replaced with updated information.
  • Change location of intro section. The introduction section is a great place for newcomers to make a post and get to know the community. Currently, the section is very hidden and hard to access! It's position and prominence on the forum should be reconsidered.
  • Totseans Kingdom. Make it more clear that this section is for members only. Also when clicking on each subforum here, it displays an unhelpful message of "There are no posts here". This needs to be changed.

Post-Upgrade Tasks
  • Advertisement. We've got a nice looking website which we want to show off. Get people talking about it, using the power of social media (Twitter, Reddit, Digg, Facebook, etc). These are our primary means of advertisement.
  • Backlink. Those backlinks increase search engine rank and above all, get more people visiting the site. This ties onto advertising.
  • Keep ontop of things. Why perform all this hard work if standards aren't maintained afterwards? All staff members need to keep on top of their game. Don't get lazy when adding new articles, tag them properly and get everything in ship-shape before hitting the submit button. Forum mods also need to keep on their game, especially when the fresh meat starts rolling in.
  • Tell your friends! Keep the activity level up. Post well, tell your buddies about the great community we've got here, and stay proud of the Totseans community. We're a family, after all!
  • Showcase good content using TV Channel + Newsletter. Chippy mentioned this one, and it sounds like a pretty good idea. Very good for getting people viewing our content.

Communications + Organization

To make this happen, we're going to need some organization. The Teamspeak server isn't currently online due to TDR moving house (he's going to the old folks home) but we've got;
  • Skype - Highly recommended for good quality voice comms. Great for getting shit done, very effective.
  • IRC - Great for realtime meetings with multiple people who lack voice capabilities.
  • Steam/other IM - I know a few of us have Steam, so we're able to chat on there if you need to.

Once we establish our means of communication (preferably Skype, or TS if the server comes back online), we can assign ourselves tasks. I know I'll be taking the CMS articles, along with a few other editors. At the same time, other people can get working on the theme. We'll be doing multiple things at once, and halving the time it takes to get this done just by splitting our workload evenly.

Comments

• ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited March 2012
    This is good. This is just what we need for a kick-start. As of starting work I've also been pressed. Being out of the house like eight hours a day, coming home and cooking, then finishing off work has my whole day finished. When I do get a spare moment I usually jump on a video game and tend not to browse the net as much as I did.

I think if we pull our fair share, this site can be boosted. I feel confident about this, and hopefully I'll be able to make more time for totse!
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks for the support Thirdrock. Me and you were able to get the majority of the CMS articles sorted out over Christmas, so imagine what we can achieve if everyone gets stuck in and doing stuff. We're going to need someone great with design though, *cough* BORNKILLER *cough*. I mean, remember the totse.info username poster thread? Shit was amazing. You're talented BK, and if we can get you to help us out then we'll be well on our way to fame. :D
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2012
    Sounds good to me. I'm the alternative in Uni terms but been busy nonetheless so I know what you mean about the "in the back of your mind" feeling as I got a lot when looking here.
    As long as people can stick to their word this would be great. I'm a tad crap at CMS and stuff (only as I have never done it) but when we can get chatting again (Skype, anyone?) then I feel we can come together. Which is a perfect ending as the delay in me replying to you, trx, is because I was fapping *dances stage exit right with top-hat, gollywog paint and cane*
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks again for the support. I just added another section to the OP which covers our communication methods and how the workload should be split :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    I agree with this thread and fully support it. I was promised virgins if I do things correctly.
  • edited March 2012
    Do you think we can get Bornkiller on board with the design and color scheme?

Also, I think I might need to make the dates a bit more clear. I'll be done with Uni for 3 weeks starting on April 1st. It's not long, but it's long enough for a major site overhaul and I'll be helping as much as I can during this time. I reckon we can get the theme for both the CMS and Forum done within that first week of April, if we get BK on board and everything goes to plan.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited March 2012
    I was also demodded for no reason. WHICH IS NOT GOOD FOR THE SITE.

I've been mucking about with vanilla forums and i really like the way the do things with tags and filters.
    Have a look: http://vanillaforums.org/discussions - Maybe there's a vBulletin plugin for this type of thing.

It makes their site look fuller, and this type of thing is pretty fasionable now-a-days.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited March 2012
    At last, some action. You may have noticed I've been a bit quiet of late. The end of January, early feb it seemed for a week or so that only Beaver and I were posting regularly. I spoke to Beaver about it briefly. So many threads we started, and the only reply was each other. If I'm online I'm always signed in. I take a look at new posts every hour or so.
    I've been waiting 3 months now for the site upgrades that were talked about, patiently for the most time, but you must have noted the odd impatient comment I have made. I appreciate DFG is busy, working for a living for a change. But as the weeks go by, it's been getting a bit disheartening. To see some action, confidence in the future and a plan of action has probably just stopped me wandering off and looking for somewhere more interesting to post.
  • edited March 2012
    I was also demodded for no reason. WHICH IS NOT GOOD FOR THE SITE.

I've been mucking about with vanilla forums and i really like the way the do things with tags and filters.
    Have a look: http://vanillaforums.org/discussions - Maybe there's a vBulletin plugin for this type of thing.

It makes their site look fuller, and this type of thing is pretty fasionable now-a-days.

Listen to this guy, he's a very knowledgeable and technologically fluent member which makes him very important to us, especially in these crucial times :D Slart, would you be willing to help us out and get this place back on the rails? I already like your vanilla suggestion!
  • edited March 2012
    chippy wrote: »
    At last, some action. You may have noticed I've been a bit quiet of late. The end of January, early feb it seemed for a week or so that only Beaver and I were posting regularly. I spoke to Beaver about it briefly. So many threads we started, and the only reply was each other. If I'm online I'm always signed in. I take a look at new posts every hour or so.
    I've been waiting 3 months now for the site upgrades that were talked about, patiently for the most time, but you must have noted the odd impatient comment I have made. I appreciate DFG is busy, working for a living for a change. But as the weeks go by, it's been getting a bit disheartening. To see some action, confidence in the future and a plan of action has probably just stopped me wandering off and looking for somewhere more interesting to post.

I couldn't agree more mate. I'm extremely surprised you've stuck around as long as you have done, but I'm also very glad you've been part of this journey. Things HAVE been slow for a long time, but we need to come together now more than ever if we're wanting to get this place back on track. We've got a week to consider our plan of action, so if you're willing to help out, post in this thread and get some more thoughts into the bucket.

What would YOU like to see changed here, and how can we work towards making those changes a reality?
    edited March 2012
    As you say the theme needs sorting out to be more coherent across the site. Many suggestions were made earlier in the year. They need implementing asap. Also some of the English used in notes is lacking in correct punctuation and grammar.

e.g.
    Welcome, chippy., be sure to check out the FAQ section if you have any questions. Also please take a moment and update your with your latest information.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited March 2012
    trx100 wrote: »
    Listen to this guy, he's a very knowledgeable and technologically fluent member which makes him very important to us, especially in these crucial times :D Slart, would you be willing to help us out and get this place back on the rails? I already like your vanilla suggestion!

My friend, i often have fantasies over doing just that. I'm a little bit of a control freak (doesn't show up on the forums much).

But it's not my decision, or yours. I'll tell you what i will do: I'll create a skeleton site, on another server and show it to you'll. If people like it, Dfg may use any part of it he likes.
  • edited March 2012
    As you say the theme needs sorting out to be more coherent across the site. Many suggestions were made earlier in the year. They need implementing asap. Also some of the English used in notes is lacking in correct punctuation and grammar.

e.g.

Noted, and added to the list. I don't suppose you would be able to find the other suggestions which were previously made? I wasn't around much earlier in the year so I must have missed the suggestions :( It would really help if you could pick a few out so they can be added to the list.
  • edited March 2012
    My friend, i often have fantasies over doing just that. I'm a little bit of a control freak (doesn't show up on the forums much).

But it's not my decision, or yours. I'll tell you what i will do: I'll create a skeleton site, on another server and show it to you'll. If people like it, Dfg may use any part of it he likes.

I admire your enthusiasm and willingness to help out. I promise you, your efforts will not go unnoticed and you will be rewarded with a flourishing community if we all get this fixed once and for all.

As for your skeleton site, I'd love to see what you have in mind. Remember that it needs to be easy to implement, and keeping the same URL structure as what we've currently got is a must or else we'll have links all over the internet which don't work any more. No doubt Dfg will want to keep using Wordpress though, will this be a problem?
    edited March 2012
    Noted, and added to the list. I don't suppose you would be able to find the other suggestions which were previously made? I wasn't around much earlier in the year so I must have missed the suggestions :( It would really help if you could pick a few out so they can be added to the list.

Cant find them now, it was possibly in team speak. I think DFG made a list at the time. I remember I asked if the cloud navigation on the front page could be added to all pages. Some changes have been implemented, and what's happened to the news letter and the TV channel?
  • edited March 2012
    Not sure what happened to the newsletter and TV Channel, although they sound a little ambitious at this moment in time. We don't have enough going on to provide a decent newsletter, and I honestly have no idea how a TV channel would work. Focus on the important things first, lets get this place fixed before worrying about all that other stuff.
    edited March 2012
    The TV channel was up and working. It may be possible to use it to showcase some of the guides and content to use as advertising to draw users in. Anyone any good at producing video's?
  • edited March 2012
    The TV channel was up and working. It may be possible to use it to showcase some of the guides and content to use as advertising to draw users in. Anyone any good at producing video's?

Dfg edits videos, from what I remember. He can work on this after we've got the rest of the site working properly. I'll add this suggestion into the "Post-Upgrade Tasks" section as it involves advertising our hard work. It's a great idea, and I fully support it. However, we've just got to make sure we take this all in the right order or we'll end up getting ahead of ourselves.

Thanks for the input.
    edited March 2012
    another suggestion is to re look at all the stickied threads that are out of date. I just had a quick look at a couple in the news of the temple and the help and suggestions section. A bit confusing for new members when they see rules and stuff like how to become a mod when they were written a year ago before all the changes. They need to be rewritten or at least deleted to stop confusion. Also the introduction section needs to be more prominent. Its usually where a noob gets a bit of positive feedback and gains the confidence to actually post and contribute. Most new posters, if they do make an intro thread, can't find the section as it's hidden in spurious generalities. It needs to be more prominent near the top of the main forum page.
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks Chippy, I added your suggestions to the list :thumbsup:

We've had a good run so far tonight, and we've already covered a lot of suggestions. It also seems that we have got plenty of members who are willing to help out and get this place back on track, how it's supposed to be. I've got to get to bed now as I've got a shit load of work to be doing tomorrow, but I'll try and check back in if I get a spare moment and take a look at this thread, as I hope to see more discussion while I'm gone :D

Keep the suggestions coming, and if a mod is on, please add them to the list. Teamwork :thumbsup:

Goodnight!
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited March 2012
    The site really needs this. I'm sorry I've been so distant from the forums lately, I've been really busy with finishing school, trying to get accepted to college, trying to find a job, all while trying to balance fun time with friends or my lady friend.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2012
    It seems even the guy who is in the middle of moving 1200 miles can take a moment to read this and post. So where is the guy holding the reigns at in the middle of this?
    edited March 2012

Trx has already commented but I can picture me wearing a balaclava giving a guide on how to rectally administer morphine :facepalm: lol

Still, on topic, I think we need a flush-through of new material. I'll spend today in the Library speeding my nut off coming up with new ideas as I do actually have a list of ideas of guides. When my assignments are done and I'm just revising then I can get more into &T again. Seriously, I don't even have time to go out in the sun. Literally go out for a smoke instead of getting skin cancer, leering at the arse from my window and getting work done.

So yeah, forum flush-through (out of date threads, tags, new material in IFIOTW etc etc) and some guides which I will do my downright best to come up with.
  • edited March 2012
    It seems even the guy who is in the middle of moving 1200 miles can take a moment to read this and post. So where is the guy holding the reigns at in the middle of this?

I'd take full charge if I could, but during this week I don't have the time. I'll be good for organizing/rallying everyone together over Skype at the start of April though, as I'll be back at home without Uni to worry about. During this week I suppose you'll be relying on Dfg to take charge. He said he'd take care of the theming with BK (assuming he's up for it).

After the theming has been sorted, it'll be April 1st and we can start implementing our ideas and making changes. That's when I can help out over voice comms and get everyone organized.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    Sorry, you guys caught me with my pants down. Okay, from April 1st we will kick things off. But during that we would be finish the minor things first. My stupid mind hasn't been functioning correctly, it seems I have been using computer for an extended period of time and not really doing anything good with it. I made plans but I couldn't complete them because I got side tracked. Hence, I am going to try a new appoarch. Chaotic Development. Basically, I will make upgrades changes on the fly while someone requests something. It's the best way of doing things because it works for me. Also, I am more than open to allow our trusted brotherhood more access to this place. So, if you are better at something you can go ahead and make changes as well.

I would prefer this place to be more Reddit friendly and more Adsense friendly as well. But Adsense is a bitch, so I am not going to bother with it. We already have portals in place, we just need to populate them with things. I started Totseans Community Network websites which is basically a totseans account on all the major websites from social to technical. I would like everyone to just make accounts in the name of totseans.com. use richard(at)totseans.com to register them or better support(at)totseans.com.

In that way, we can use those portals to spread our content. It's a pretty neat trick, also we need to get out page rank higher. At least 5 which would mean that we would need to really great some standard content that people are looking for. Also, I wouldn't mind working with Tech related forum or company or working with guys who can build something. Also, if you know any awesome blogger, try to grab them. I should mention, that we need to get the blog type look away from everything and make it look somewhat professional as well.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    This is related: http://i.imgur.com/9rjwx.jpg

vMScC.gif

More focus on Pinterest and Reddit
  • edited March 2012
    Okay, from April 1st we will kick things off. But during that we would be finish the minor things first.

Minor things being what exactly?

I was rather aiming toward getting the stuff on the list finished first, as they're pretty important things (fixing the theme once and for all, fixing the CMS etc).
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    Minor things being what exactly?

I was rather aiming toward getting the stuff on the list finished first, as they're pretty important things (fixing the theme once and for all, fixing the CMS etc).

Like making the forum work, making the CMS display images, removing plugins, adding new ones.

Btw, I did all of that just few minutes ago. CMS image now work :D.
  • edited March 2012
    Dfg wrote: »
    Like making the forum work, making the CMS display images, removing plugins, adding new ones.

Btw, I did all of that just few minutes ago. CMS image now work :D.

I noticed, it looks much better now. Good job! Hopefully BK gets back to you, and I really hope we can get him on board. I'll keep looking for bugs/shit to be fixed.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2012
    Do you think we can get Bornkiller on board with the design and color scheme?

Also, I think I might need to make the dates a bit more clear. I'll be done with Uni for 3 weeks starting on April 1st. It's not long, but it's long enough for a major site overhaul and I'll be helping as much as I can during this time. I reckon we can get the theme for both the CMS and Forum done within that first week of April, if we get BK on board and everything goes to plan.
    Damn! I start on the 2nd of April. I'll look into it tonight bro. PM k?
    edited March 2012
    I noticed, it looks much better now. Good job! Hopefully BK gets back to you, and I really hope we can get him on board. I'll keep looking for bugs/shit to be fixed.
    Speaking of bugs dude. this is the only forum in the whole wide interwebz where I need to physically use html in my posts. I guess the reason for this is my Midori browser. If you manage to find a fix for it I'll blow you & start on some sorta graphics.....Ahhh Fuck it! I'll start on the graphics anyways....I'll blow you if you find a fix for it though. :thumbsup:

i'd like to hear everyones views on a theme, Are we wanting contemporary totse, art deco, clean is mean, or perhaps grungy anarchist .... TsQdI.png Any idea is a good idea @ this stage!
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    bornkiller wrote: »
    Speaking of bugs dude. this is the only forum in the whole wide interwebz where I need to physically use html in my posts. I guess the reason for this is my Midori browser. If you manage to find a fix for it I'll blow you & start on some sorta graphics.....Ahhh Fuck it! I'll start on the graphics anyways....I'll blow you if you find a fix for it though. :thumbsup:

i'd like to hear everyones views on a theme, Are we wanting contemporary totse, art deco, clean is mean, or perhaps grungy anarchist .... TsQdI.png Any idea is a good idea @ this stage!

Consider the fix in queue then.
  • edited March 2012
    Fuck knows for the theme at the moment. I'm so terrible at designing things, but I'll put in a few ideas;

Clean layout. Nothing too extravagant, just nice and simple so it's easy to look at.
    Good menu location/simple navigational structure - personally I feel as though we've got too many links to places on our homepage. It's way overcomplicated.

That's actually all I can think of at the moment. Sorry!

EDIT: Oh, and we need to make it very clear who we are, and what this place is all about in a kind of "short but sweet" fashion. Not sure how this could tie into the theme though :P
    edited March 2012
    Also, the IRC button takes you to a channel that is broke.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    Also, the IRC button takes you to a channel that is broke.

Waits for the new IRC link.
  • edited March 2012
    Didn't Slartibartfast mention setting up an IRC server soon? If that's the case then we'll have one shortly.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    I am thinking of looking for a Kim styled theme.

• edited March 2012
    totseanssmall1-300x72.png

Personally, I really like this color. Perhaps we can use it in our new color scheme?
    edited March 2012
    Makes me think of Facebook, but I like it. Anarchy makes it seem/appeal to kiddies so use that wisely.
    edited March 2012
    Dfg wrote: »
    Consider the fix in queue then.
    5char bro! Chewing gum @ the moment to get the saliva circulating.
    totseanssmall1-300x72.png

Personally, I really like this color. Perhaps we can use it in our new color scheme?
    I like that as well. Simple, clean & blue. (I like MF blues.) Could we possibly rethink the "reconnecting the world" It makes us sound like my phone & internet provider.
    RemadE wrote: »
    Anarchy makes it seem/appeal to kiddies so use that wisely.
    It wasn't a suggestion bro, merely an example. ;)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    Cook up a better tag line, we can add that to it.
  • edited March 2012
    We better think of a good one, as we need to stick to it and forever associate ourselves with it. It's all about creating an image so people recognize us.
    edited March 2012
    Totseans, the future of the internet.

Totseans, where Totse matured.

Totseans, the MILF of information.

Totseans, travelling places, not trolling faces.

Totseans, where opinions count.

The future's bright, the future's Totseans.
  • edited March 2012
    Totseans, where opinions count.

This is along the right track. We're all about sharing information and the freedom to express yourself/opinions etc, right? We need something to reflect this.
    The future's bright, the future's Totseans.

See below;
    Could we possibly rethink the "reconnecting the world" It makes us sound like my phone & internet provider.

:D
    edited March 2012
    hehe that was a light hearted attempt

how about this:

Communication: The Universal Solvent

Communication isn't always understanding

Totseans, where communication meets debate

Totseans, where the real talk goes on.

Totseans, it's what the internet was invented for.
    edited March 2012
    Totseans, fighting ignorance for a better future

Totseans, content counts.

Totseans, the content is priceless.

Totseans, news for nerds and stuff that matters.

Totseans, share your world with the world.

Totseans, because everyone is entitled to your opinion.
    edited March 2012
    or the best one yet:

Totseans, banned in China.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    Really great tag lines Chippy. I dig the Totseans, where opinions count. and maybe Totseans, share your world with the world.
    edited March 2012
    Damn chippy! That's a mighty fine list you have right thar. :cool:
    I kinda like these.

Totseans, banned in China.

Totseans, share your world with the world.

Totseans, because everyone is entitled to your opinion.

Communication: The Universal Solvent

Totseans, it's what the internet was invented for.
  • edited March 2012
    So, any news on the theming and colors etc?