What Martial Arts do you practice?

ArkansanArkansan Regular
edited April 2012 in Man Cave
If there is already a thread for this somewhere then I apologize. Any way, what are you currently practicing or have you practiced in the past? What do you like and dislike about it, and have you ever used it?

Right now I am training in Jeet Kune Do, we tend to stick a little bit more to the Wing Chun structure than some schools, we also borrow some things from Xingyi and a couple other arts, our line comes through Larry Hartsell so we have quite a bit of grappling, most of it standing or clinch grappling. Honestly I really don't have any complaints about the art it suits me, real straight foward, plus I don't have to throw away anything I have learned in the past I just have to modify it a bit to fit within the structure of the system. My only complaint is that I can only train one day a week, but that is due to lack of transportation. I can't say I've used it in a fight per say, but I have used it in sparring both inside and outside the school, stop kicks and stop hits tend to give people who aren't used to them fits, as does trapping if you remember to keep it simple and use it as a lead in to something else.

Comments

• chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited January 2012
    Cane-fu

Here are the weapons

http://www.earthworks.com/martialart/canes/canes.htm

Note you can take this weapon on a plane hehehe.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2012
    Back in 92 at Pennsic War XXIII some old guys was showing me some techniques quite similar to this chipy.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, beware the little old guy with the walking stick.
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited January 2012
    I know that Bartitsu involves a good bit of cane stuff, I have always thought it looked interesting, shame canes aren't fashionable for young men these days. If they were I would be all over it.
    edited January 2012
    Getting the crook around someones neck is no joke. There is enough leverage involved to crush a trachea or break the neck.
    edited January 2012
    I could imagine. A well made cane seems like it would be something worth being wary of, light weight, good reach, I would think a well placed shot could certainly smash someones nose, or fracture the cheek or orbital and break a few teeth.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Mostly spiritual self-discipline. Nothing mainstream, just whatever works for me and mostly stamina-based. I've only ever lost one "fight" in my life and that was my first one at school as some dick "friend" pushed me into a Year 11 (senior for the Yanks), and he got my by my throat against a wall and spat in my face.
    Now if anyone, even older people, if they refuse to back down and lay a hand on me, I have the discipline to hold back - and then unleash hell which usually results in them slumped against a tree or bench like the last few times. My main concern is that if i get hit in the gut, I'm a gonner, hence why I am always slightly on edge and do my best to keep calm, cool and disciplined.
    edited January 2012
    I can't imagine how bad getting hit in the gut would suck in your position, I mean honestly when I was doing Muay Thai I always preferred eating a shot to the head over a solid body shot. Then again I have a good chin and little to loose by killing off a few more brain cells. I agree on keeping calm during a scrap, when I was younger I would get this red haze to my vision then just sorta blank until after the fight was over, after I started Boxing and Muay Thai hard sparring kind of wore that adrenaline dump reaction out of me or at least dulled it a great deal.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Always wanted to do Bartitsu, and it seems they're bringing it back as a martial art.

6-7 years of Shotokan Karate and 1-2 years of Fung Yang Sau (hard fist of the wind) Kung Fu. Shotokan Karate was great, and I loved every second of it. It was a club that taught your respect and discipline (which is more important than fighting), and gave you a very good knowledge of the fundamentals before moving on to the trickier stuff. When I was younger I did have a temper and I was hyper. I do believe that Karate calmed me down considerably and gave me both physical and mental strength that I would not have had otherwise:) Kung Fu was great too for the very short time that I did it, as it had alot of sparring and dealt with alot of grappling which I felt slightly lacked in Karate.

In summery for me I felt that Karate gave great knowledge of strikes, blocks, and kicks, and Kung Fu gave me knowledge of throws, grappling and the idea that an opponents force can be used against them. I got to compare the both fighting styles and realize that they were drastically different. :)
    edited January 2012
    Western martial arts in general seem to be really growing the past few years but Batitsu in particular is really taking off, if your interested in it I would recommend looking up the Bartitsu Compendium Vols 1 & 2 on Lulu, excellent history of the art and a great deal of technical instruction, they are the Bibles of Bartitsu so to speak, most Bartitsu clubs work from them to a large degree. I have never practiced Karate but it has always seemed like good Karateka have really crisp striking. I really like the fluidity most Chinese martial arts seem to have.
  • blamehoffmanblamehoffman Regular
    edited February 2012
    I do Krav Maga, not a Martial Art as such (we keep the "Martial" but drop the "Art" as my instructor says); I really enjoy it because its practical, comprehensive, and has a fast learning curve as opposed to some of the 'traditional' martial arts that require years of training in order to be effective. This is not to say i dont respect or enjoy said arts, only that Krav seems a more practical choice for me; after 3 months there i learned more useful information than the 5 or so years of Karate i did as a kid, they just have a no-bullshit policy that i love, its straight for the jugular (or scrotum as is often the case).
    edited February 2012
    You should both check out this.
    edited February 2012
    Not really sure what to make of that page, but the fighting with spiritual chi article was pretty lulzy. As to Krav Maga, it seems pretty straight foward, the only bad thing I have heard about it is that there tends to be some bad schools in the here in the U.S., but there really has nothing to do with the system itself.
    edited February 2012
    Chi may seem "lulzy" but being on the wrong end of it is know laughing matter.
    edited February 2012
    You know that is one aspect of Chinese martial arts I would like to see more of in detail. While my instructor has a good deal of Wing Chun training and a host of other things he is a JKD guy and it is a JKD school so Chi isn't really something we cover. He has never been dismissive of it when it is brought up other than to say that there are a lot of misconceptions floating around about it.
    edited February 2012
    Practice some of the mental exercises on that site I linked. There is no wrong way or right way there is only your way and that is what you must discover.
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited February 2012
    I've always wanted to learn Arnis. Maybe in the summer, if I get some free time and find a teacher I'll try to learn it.
  • blamehoffmanblamehoffman Regular
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, I've heard alot of stories about McDojos cropping up, probably because its a bit more obscure so theres alot of people who can pretend to be a Krav master and just teach bullshit; I imagine the same problem would have been apparent for Kung Fu in the 70s when it was just being introduced to the mainstream media (making it profitable) yet still obscure enough for charlatans to cheat people.
    edited February 2012
    ^That kind of shit is still rampant in the U.S. martial arts market.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2012
    ywsuz.jpg

84wNL.jpg

CwraO.jpg

Z7suE.jpg

6jddI.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/nTnTH

I consider myself a MASTER
    edited April 2012
    The fact that those images exist make me unsure about our long term survival as a species.
    edited April 2012
    Arkansan wrote: »
    The fact that those images exist make me unsure about our long term survival as a species.
    Our species survival is partially dependant on letting it out. We'll be fine. ;)
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited April 2012
    bornkiller wrote: »
    Our species survival is partially dependant on letting it out.
    Care to explain? I'm genuinely curious.
    edited April 2012
    proudclod9 wrote: »
    Care to explain? I'm genuinely curious.
    Try not having a god ol shit for a week or 2.