Removed Side Case-Fan, Improved GPU Temperature

edited June 2012 in Tech & Games
Here is a screenshot I took many months ago, way before I reformatted a couple days ago. As you can see, the GPU temperature is at 47 degrees centigrade....

1vHN0.png

Here's one I took today, after removing the side fan from my case....

KVXjj.png

That's a drop of 10 degrees! Turns out that the side fan on my case was actually messing up air-flow more than it was helping anything, so I plan on leaving it out from now on. I've got a place for another fan on the base of my case so I'll probably end up adding another one there, just to see what happens. Mix and match! :D

Just goes to show that air flow and direction can either make or break your system. Try out some new fan positioning and see what you can achieve! :thumbsup:

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    Actually the side fan has always been a bit messy. You basically have to change it's direction. What happened for me was simple, the fan was blowing air inward but that messed up the airflow because the PSU was directly below the GPU and it's exhaust was towards the GPU fan, thereby increase it's temperature. I simply reversed it's direction and now even in this shitty weather my GPU temperature is decent.
  • edited June 2012
    Haha yeah, I have my PSU fan facing the bottom of my case (where I also have another grille for letting air through, they really thought of everything on this case :D) Definitely keeps the crappy warm air out of the system for sure :thumbsup:
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited June 2012
    I only recently turned my side fan back on. I'm starting to think I should turn it off. I'll turn it off and get look at some temps and then turn it back on again; see if it goes up, or down.
  • edited June 2012
    I only recently turned my side fan back on. I'm starting to think I should turn it off. I'll turn it off and get look at some temps and then turn it back on again; see if it goes up, or down.

You should totally do this, right now.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2012
    How long have you been using that graphic card?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    tempsjune.jpg

Temperature outside is 43C and it's 7:36 Pm which means the fun is down and it's effing evening.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    I am thinking of removing the OC and going back to 3.8 Ghz.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited June 2012
    OC is over rated. In fact clock speed period ceased to be the sole defining factor of system performance years ago.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    OC is over rated. In fact clock speed period ceased to be the sole defining factor of system performance years ago.

Nope, OC is a big factor when you're doing videos. Trust me,

Link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4786947/Totseans/OC.jpg

it will be active in 10 min or more. Currently uploading files.

Now, what I mean by OC'ing is, that I don't really run games on this system. Increasing my Processor speed makes it easier for me to work with videos. Since I am using AMD GPU not (NVIDIA) every bit of processing is done by the processor and it really drags down everything when it's stuck rendering or working on some sequence. On a system like this it saves me minutes and it allows me to Multitask without locking the whole system. Also, it renders faster. I am not saying that everyone should OC their processors or components but you have to be smart about it.

If you see a real advantage and if it really lowers you wait time then sure go ahead. If you're just doing OC for games than you're an idiot.

I agree with your point as well. Not disagreeing with it.
  • edited June 2012
    bornkiller wrote: »
    How long have you been using that graphic card?

It's as old as this PC is. I built it... 4 years ago? Maybe just under 4 years, why do you ask? It's still running just as strongly as the day I got it - same goes for the rest of the components. Spend a little extra money, buy good quality parts and you really won't regret it :thumbsup:
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2012
    trx100 wrote: »
    It's as old as this PC is. I built it... 4 years ago? Maybe just under 4 years, why do you ask? It's still running just as strongly as the day I got it - same goes for the rest of the components. Spend a little extra money, buy good quality parts and you really won't regret it :thumbsup:
    Heard of thermal paste?

Clean the old paste off that gpu chip & put some fresh stuff on it. You'll be amazed @ the temp changes dude. ;)
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited June 2012
    centigrade? celisius? so your psu is on the bottom of the case like mine i have a thermaltake v4 case my dual core is oced to 3.1 from 2.4 i dont have a offboard gpu i have 2 120mm fan and a 80 mm all blue leds i had to put the blue 80 mm in my psu because hat fan wasent working so there odd blue light shinning out the back of my case i also have a couple elwire sata cables not sure why i just descriped all this my plan was to talk about my temp and i forgot what i was saying oh well

that thermal paste stuff is cheap i should try some
  • edited June 2012
    bornkiller wrote: »
    Heard of thermal paste?

Clean the old paste off that gpu chip & put some fresh stuff on it. You'll be amazed @ the temp changes dude. ;)

Changed the paste on my CPU and GPU about a week ago :thumbsup: