Traveling to Italy, Need Help

DfgDfg Admin
edited June 2012 in Life
I just submitted my passport, it's going to get renewed in a Month or so. I would be moving with my Dad to Italy in few months, we would be on visit but then I would be left there to work in a Company. Now, the problem is, A) it's not fucking America B) It's fucking Italy.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to stay there and bang anything but I don't know Italian and on top of that, from what I hear (from Dad) that place is totally different, Toilets are small, living accommodations are small & people are generally not that interested in you and on top of that, you're basically in an isolated environment. I know I can adapt, fit in and really be awesome but I am honestly worried. I won't have a safety net, sure the Company would manage things but it's still a big leap. Also, everyone would be speaking Italian.

I do agree it's a big break but Euro Zone is in recession at the moment, sure people like me are valued everywhere but still, there is so much I need to learn. So, Totseans, I need help. If you have been to Italy and if you travel a lot. Share real information here or point me to things. I will make a check list of things I want confirmed.

Number would be, my system.

It's all too good for me to use their systems but I also am responsible for managing other clients, a Laptop would be nice and even decent but it wouldn't be powerful enough to complete my work. Also, the system I have is hard to replicate, am I wondering if it's possible to take it with me and if I can what will I need to do. Sure encrypting all my drives would be something I have to do and getting a new HDD ASAP wit 2TB storage would be essential if not vital but I can't leave my system here in the house.

So, what are my options?

Secondly, in Pakistan we use 220V, my PSU can switch to 110V same goes for the Displays ( I plan to take just one) but there is a problem with the connector. Dad told me it's hard to find stuff there, you can really get cables and other bits in Pakistani markets but it's not the same way there.

Comments

• DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Dfg wrote: »

Secondly, in Pakistan we use 220V, my PSU can switch to 110V same goes for the Displays ( I plan to take just one) but there is a problem with the connector. Dad told me it's hard to find stuff there, you can really get cables and other bits in Pakistani markets but it's not the same way there.

Only the Americas use 110 volt AC, that and some parts of Asia. Japan is an example and besides, as far as i am aware Pakistan uses a variant of the europlug (two round pins) so it should fit that and the voltage is 220-230v across Europe. Congrats on getting out of Pakistan even if its only temporary.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    Only the Americas use 110 volt AC, that and some parts of Asia. Japan is an example and besides, as far as i am aware Pakistan uses a variant of the europlug (two round pins) so it should fit that and the voltage is 220-230v across Europe. Congrats on getting out of Pakistan even if its only temporary.

Thanks, I wouldn't be celebrating just yet. I am honestly scared because well, it's a big leap and change :(.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Well, well, my Paki is moving Westward.
    Now, time for some Italian heritage and experienced info for you.

Italy is fucking nice, man. The countryside whoops ass. Avoid Rome.

Anyway, people are very interested in you (especially if you're a Woman) and places are basic. However it beats Pakistan. Toilets are..well, toilets. The Western sort. No squatting and hand-wiping here, Sonny.
    If things get that bad, you come North, I go South and we can meet in France/N Italy. I also have a lot of ontacts in Italy and on the border so if you need info, you know how to get in touch.

You should be able to take your laptop - just research converters.

As for your options, there are a lot of tanned people in Italy. You aren't stupid or lazy so you will be valued. Whereabouts in Italy are you looking at going? Mediterranean or Adriatic side?
    As for learning Italian, it's a lot like Latin. I cannot reccommend Rosetta Stone and phrasebooks enough. Honestly, I picked it up in a week after a few teaching myself with Rosetta Stone.
    The Euro is weak, yes, but people in Italy aren't stupid for the most part. Does your dad have contacts? Friends? Just hoard the cash and ask around with what others are doing (thank fuck for the £ sterling) ;)
    Also you should look into getting a moped. It's the preferred mode of transport next to cars and trains. Petrol isn't too badly priced, either. Probably more expensive than Pakistan but at least you won't have a risk of being blown up :hai:

Police are pretty tough. I got a dressing-down for walking up a one-way set of stairs at a train station but most people do speak english, or at least some. Never forget to say this (literal spelling, the way it sounds) - lay kapeesha l'inglaise?
    I know it's not spelt right but that's how "Do you speak English?" sounds. It helps. Hang around in Cafes. Get to know people. Just don't look too suspect, and you can finally renounce your Muslim faith - as long as your Dad doesn't mind.

Any more, shoot me a PM. I have friends in the Vatican, Rome and all over the show.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    Well, well, my Paki is moving Westward.
    Now, time for some Italian heritage and experienced info for you.

Italy is fucking nice, man. The countryside whoops ass. Avoid Rome.

Anyway, people are very interested in you (especially if you're a Woman) and places are basic. However it beats Pakistan. Toilets are..well, toilets. The Western sort. No squatting and hand-wiping here, Sonny.
    If things get that bad, you come North, I go South and we can meet in France/N Italy. I also have a lot of ontacts in Italy and on the border so if you need info, you know how to get in touch.

You should be able to take your laptop - just research converters.

As for your options, there are a lot of tanned people in Italy. You aren't stupid or lazy so you will be valued. Whereabouts in Italy are you looking at going? Mediterranean or Adriatic side?
    As for learning Italian, it's a lot like Latin. I cannot reccommend Rosetta Stone and phrasebooks enough. Honestly, I picked it up in a week after a few teaching myself with Rosetta Stone.
    The Euro is weak, yes, but people in Italy aren't stupid for the most part. Does your dad have contacts? Friends? Just hoard the cash and ask around with what others are doing (thank fuck for the £ sterling) ;)
    Also you should look into getting a moped. It's the preferred mode of transport next to cars and trains. Petrol isn't too badly priced, either. Probably more expensive than Pakistan but at least you won't have a risk of being blown up :hai:

Police are pretty tough. I got a dressing-down for walking up a one-way set of stairs at a train station but most people do speak english, or at least some. Never forget to say this (literal spelling, the way it sounds) - lay kapeesha l'inglaise?
    I know it's not spelt right but that's how "Do you speak English?" sounds. It helps. Hang around in Cafes. Get to know people. Just don't look too suspect, and you can finally renounce your Muslim faith - as long as your Dad doesn't mind.

Any more, shoot me a PM. I have friends in the Vatican, Rome and all over the show.

Love you bro.

More fine details, I would be working in a Company as a trainee. My job is to learn their systems and then teach them in Pakistan. Accommodation and other stuff would be their headache. I will ask exact details and send you a secure PM :D or we can Skype/TS.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited June 2012
    Italy is a lot closer to the US or Canada than Pakacamelassastan
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    Italy is a lot closer to the US or Canada than Pakacamelassastan

I agree, it's just the new frontier thing for me. I would be moving from one different environment to something extreme. Weather, food and everything else.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited June 2012
    Meh, been doin' that for the last 32 years.

Truckin' got my chips cashed in. Keep truckin', like the do-dah man
    Together, more or less in line, just keep truckin' on.

Arrows of neon and flashing marquees out on Main Street.
    Chicago, New York, Detroit and it's all on the same street.
    Your typical city involved in a typical daydream
    Hang it up and see what tomorrow brings.

Dallas, got a soft machine; Houston, too close to New Orleans;
    New York's got the ways and means; but just won't let you be, oh no.

Most of the cats that you meet on the streets speak of true love,
    Most of the time they're sittin' and cryin' at home.
    One of these days they know they gotta get goin'
    Out of the door and down on the streets all alone.

Truckin', like the do-dah man. Once told me "You've got to play your hand"
    Sometimes your cards ain't worth a dime, if you don't lay'em down,

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me;
    Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurres to me What a long, strange trip it's been.

What in the world ever became of sweet Jane?
    She lost her sparkle, you know she isn't the same
    Livin' on reds, vitamin C, and cocaine,
    All a friend can say is "Ain't it a shame?"

Truckin', up to Buffalo. Been thinkin', you got to mellow slow
    Takes time, you pick a place to go, and just keep truckin' on.

Sittin' and starin' out of the hotel window.
    Got a tip they're gonna kick the door in again
    I'd like to get some sleep before I travel,
    But if you got a warrant, I guess you're gonna come in.

Busted, down on Bourbon Street, Set up, like a bowlin' pin.
    Knocked down, it get's to wearin' thin. They just won't let you be, oh no.

You're sick of hangin' around and you'd like to travel;
    Get tired of travelin' and you want to settle down.
    I guess they can't revoke your soul for tryin',
    Get out of the door and light out and look all around.

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me;
    Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurres to me What a long, strange trip it's been.

Truckin', I'm a goin' home. Whoa whoa baby, back where I belong,
    Back home, sit down and patch my bones, and get back truckin' on.
    Hey now get back truckin' home.
  • edited June 2012
    This is awesome Dfg! Don't overthink it, just enjoy yourself and embrace the new country. Take it as a step forward, because I can't think of anything worse than spending my entire life in Pakistan ;)
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited June 2012
    Good for you dude I'm glad your getting your ass out of Paki land.I wish I could help you out with some advise but since I've never been to Italy the only thing I can offer its to remember that people are people where ever you go,your going to meet some assholes for sure but most people want the same things in life. Just be cool and you will be ok.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    trx100 wrote: »
    This is awesome Dfg! Don't overthink it, just enjoy yourself and embrace the new country. Take it as a step forward, because I can't think of anything worse than spending my entire life in Pakistan ;)
    angryonion wrote: »
    Good for you dude I'm glad your getting your ass out of Paki land.I wish I could help you out with some advise but since I've never been to Italy the only thing I can offer its to remember that people are people where ever you go,your going to meet some assholes for sure but most people want the same things in life. Just be cool and you will be ok.

Thanks, worried about the crime and stuff. What would be best way to protect my ass their?
    edited June 2012
    Dfg wrote: »
    Love you bro.

More fine details, I would be working in a Company as a trainee. My job is to learn their systems and then teach them in Pakistan. Accommodation and other stuff would be their headache. I will ask exact details and send you a secure PM :D or we can Skype/TS.

Sounds good to me :) I wondered what your dad does to be honest. I'll be checking my messages more often. Been a crappy 24 hours. Sounds like a pretty easy job to be honest lol. Gotta love outsourcing ;)

As for crime in Italy, it's mostly pickpocketing. There isn't any Sharia law here in Europe (yet, har har take that Enoch Powell) so keep your wits about you when it comes to back pockets, backpacks etc. If you're on a crowded train or tram etc, then don't get close to strangers (but that's impossible) so the next best thing, standing by the doors, sitting down or just traveling in a group. There's a documentary I posted here in "pickpocketing on public transport" thread about Italian pickpocketing.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    Sounds good to me :) I wondered what your dad does to be honest. I'll be checking my messages more often. Been a crappy 24 hours. Sounds like a pretty easy job to be honest lol. Gotta love outsourcing ;)

As for crime in Italy, it's mostly pickpocketing. There isn't any Sharia law here in Europe (yet, har har take that Enoch Powell) so keep your wits about you when it comes to back pockets, backpacks etc. If you're on a crowded train or tram etc, then don't get close to strangers (but that's impossible) so the next best thing, standing by the doors, sitting down or just traveling in a group. There's a documentary I posted here in "pickpocketing on public transport" thread about Italian pickpocketing.
    Thanks, will check that. Also, with the job it's basically companies do when they're selling a product etc. Like I said I will Skype ya about it.
  • edited June 2012
    I posted a couple of pickpocketing guides on here, read them (although they might be shit, I wrote them when I was like 12). Keep your wits about you - don't carry valuables in your back pockets. Keep them in the front pockets of your pants and carry as little as possible, watch out for closed crowded places where people are constantly brushing up against you as a pickpocket can easily strike and slip away unnoticed. Don't keep valuables in a backpack. Don't keep valuables in jacket pockets.

Make sure you're smart. You might be seen as an easy target to thieves if you look like a confused Paki in a foreign country! Seriously.

Don't buy anything from people selling random crap at the side of the street. Don't give bums money. If someone asks you for any amount of money, DON'T check your pockets! This is to see if you have anything valuable on you. If they ask for the time, DON'T check your watch or phone.

Common sense applies, you're a smart guy Dfg so I'm sure you'll be fine. Just be confident in yourself :thumbsup:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    I posted a couple of pickpocketing guides on here, read them (although they might be shit, I wrote them when I was like 12). Keep your wits about you - don't carry valuables in your back pockets. Keep them in the front pockets of your pants and carry as little as possible, watch out for closed crowded places where people are constantly brushing up against you as a pickpocket can easily strike and slip away unnoticed. Don't keep valuables in a backpack. Don't keep valuables in jacket pockets.

Make sure you're smart. You might be seen as an easy target to thieves if you look like a confused Paki in a foreign country! Seriously.

Don't buy anything from people selling random crap at the side of the street. Don't give bums money. If someone asks you for any amount of money, DON'T check your pockets! This is to see if you have anything valuable on you. If they ask for the time, DON'T check your watch or phone.

Common sense applies, you're a smart guy Dfg so I'm sure you'll be fine. Just be confident in yourself :thumbsup:

Yep, I know all of that stuff. Been in some shady markets in Pakistan. Always keep things under watch and I observe everyone. When it comes Mobile phone and clock, people rarely ask me and even if they do I just shove the clock in their face so they can read it. Like in the Jason Borne movies (I read the books too) I always check my back. It's pretty much second nature now. With the backpack issue, I always keep it with me. but this is Pakistan no one tries getting near me. I am only worried about the future Laptop. I thinking of learning some stabbing techniques, like keeping a small knife.

Plus, I don't drink, nor do drugs. So, the chances of someone slipping something in my drink is low, also I don't give a fuck about bums, never gave them Money in Pakistan. Won't give them someplace else. Also, not an idiot who buys stuff from the local stalls. My only aim is to learn and adapt there. When I am comfortable with the area I would like to explore the Museums, Art stalls and Opera. Clubs can wait. Not really fond of them anyway. Plus, without a wingman I risk getting raped :p.
  • edited June 2012
    I thinking of learning some stabbing techniques, like keeping a small knife.

Probably not the best idea. That'll probably land you in prison, this ain't Pakistan bro. By the way, you can't carry rocket launchers or landmines in Italy. Just thought I'd remind you as I know you Pakistanis do that on a daily basis.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited June 2012
    The Pakistani diaspora lives in close-knit communities. You'll basically finds entire suburbs of "little Pakistan's", you will find people places and organisations to help you if things go tits up.

Look for the Pakistani mosques in Italy - they will be a good safety net.

The best advice i can give you is to not get bogged down in the details, do the preparation but you will find that you will just have to wing a lot of things.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    Probably not the best idea. That'll probably land you in prison, this ain't Pakistan bro. By the way, you can't carry rocket launchers or landmines in Italy. Just thought I'd remind you as I know you Pakistanis do that on a daily basis.
    Oh, fuck.

*drops the AK-47*
    The Pakistani diaspora lives in close-knit communities. You'll basically finds entire suburbs of "little Pakistan's", you will find people places and organisations to help you if things go tits up.

Look for the Pakistani mosques in Italy - they will be a good safety net.

The best advice i can give you is to not get bogged down in the details, do the preparation but you will find that you will just have to wing a lot of things.

I would like to avoid the Islamic Community there for real but if requried I can pretend :p. Fuck I have been pretending here for ages anyway.
    edited June 2012
    Also if anyone fucks with you, give them the "fuck with me and you'll lose your head/get taken hostage look".

That should sort it :hai: