Demonoid takedown prompts attacks by Anonymous

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited August 2012 in Spurious Generalities
The fucking Ukraine government are a bunch of US corporate suck asses. :angry:

I WANT MY DEMONOID BACK!!!! NOAW!!!! :WHIP:
[h=1]Demonoid takedown prompts attacks by Anonymous[/h]Members of the Anonymous hacktivist community have attacked websites belonging to the Ukrainian authorities after Demonoid was forced offline.
The BitTorrent link tracker's internet service provider (ISP) took it offline after being contacted by law enforcement officers.
The US had previously alleged Demonoid was one of the most visited sites used to share pirated content.
Many of its visitors are now concerned their activities may be exposed.
Demonoid's site became unavailable last week, but news of the authorities' involvement only emerged after an article in the local newspaper Kommersant on Monday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19194467

Anonymous Attacks Ukrainian Government After Demonoid Takedown

After suffering a major outage last week due to a DDoS, Demonoid, a popular BitTorrent tracker, was taken offline by Ukrainian authorities, allegedly so that the government could earn some brownie points with the United States. In response, Anonymous has launched OpDemonoid, an operation that is targeting sites in the Ukraine.

According to sources speaking to Kommersant, a Russian newspaper, and as reported by TorrentFreak, “the raid on Demonoid was timed to coincide with the very first trip of Deputy Prime Minister Valery Khoroshkovsky‘s trip to the United States. On the agenda: copyright infringement.”

“Ukraine had promised the United States that it would improve its attitude and efforts towards enforcing copyright and no doubt its Western partner will be very pleased indeed that Demonoid’s head has been presented on a platter.” This is what led to Anonymous taking a stance. So far, DDoS attacks against the National Television and Radio Broadcasting Council of Ukraine (nrada.gov.ua), the Ukrainian Agency for Copyright and Related Rights (uacrr.kiev.ua), and the Ukrainian Anti-Piracy Association (apo.kiev.ua), have been the opening salvo.
However, the operation’s planning notes also call for Web defacement too. Should the Ukrainian president’s page (president.gov.ua) be defaced, a prepared replacement page outlines other goals for OpDemonoid.

http://www.securityweek.com/anonymous-attacks-ukrainian-government-after-demonoid-takedown

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2012
    I remember being texted this while in hospital and I lost my shit completely. I was just beginning to get my contributions up on there as I found a shit-ton of rare CDs.
    Ah well, always IPT but Demonoid had some great rare files.

Site popularity is now measures/monitored so I'm a bit scared to even visit my favourite torrent site.
    FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU-
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2012
    Yeah I know about this, it fucking sucks. I FUCKING LOVED THAT WEBSITE.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Fucking fuck. Fuck i'm pissed off atm.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2012
    The Ukraine is the silicon valley of Europe. they have a decent startup culture. they're obviously looking to expand in the US.

this is the price of business with the America. They use patents and copyright to steer foreign economies. patent and copyright law favours the US as they own most patents
    edited August 2012
    Wonder if anyone will make a mirror/copy of it? If so I doubt it will be as big/successful as the original was.
    IPT/TPB/KAT for me
  • edited August 2012
    I'm looking for a decent private tracker offering only metal/metalcore and UK hardcore music. But fuck, it's difficult to find one.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Sad they've taken it down, but I'm more of an isohunt and Pirate Bay kind of guy so I never used too much of it anyways.
    edited August 2012
    ^^^ I'm the same way, althouh I have access to all the private torrent sites, my searches are usually very popular and my home connection isn't great.
    edited August 2012
    Ah I miss the days of high speed Uni internet and private trackers :(
  • edited August 2012
    ^^^ I'm the same way, althouh I have access to all the private torrent sites, my searches are usually very popular and my home connection isn't great.

Which private trackers do you have access to?
    edited August 2012
    trx100 wrote: »
    Which private trackers do you have access to?

I was probably overstating a bit, i have access to all the popular BT trackers. The best i have ever used was OiNK.
  • edited August 2012
    I was probably overstating a bit, i have access to all the popular BT trackers. The best i have ever used was OiNK.

Do you have any What.CD invites? :D
    edited August 2012
    nope. I've forgotten my own login as well. so double nope.
  • edited August 2012
    Damn, oh well! Maybe someone else will see this and send me a PM :thumbsup: