Learn a new language, you lazy scumbag! [Links etc]

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited September 2012 in Life
Ok so I am obsessed with perfecting my German to the point of almost looking like a Nazi. Whouda thunk it? :D

Anyway, whatever language takes your choice, (and "Mexican" doesn't exist), there are a multitude of sites, which are free to sign up to, that can really help you get started.
In my years of perfecting German and a few other languages (to lesser degrees - Dutch, Italian, French), I have used
  • Rosetta Stone (would rate 7/10 but it was a Torrented copy so I didn't have the handbook lol)
  • Pimsleur Audio CD (8/10)
  • Flash cards (6/10)

But below are 2 sites with descriptions, that I have found really helpful. Hopefully you'll check them out along your way if you wish to learn a new language :)

Memrise
This is a cracking site as you can sign up with your Facebook account (if you so, erm, wish) or just a regular email etc. Your progress is tracked and memory (short/long term etc) compared with with seeds, plants, greenhouses etc. It all becomes clear once you begin to use it.
The actual language side is great as well because there are mnemonics on learning words (eg, können means can, to be able to so the mnemonic is "Konnen the Barbarian was ABLE to do anything!") and is user-submitted.

Get the idea? Good. Before you know it you're actually really far ahead, and even after 20 minutes I was fucking impressed with myself.

Link - http://www.memrise.com

Lang-8
This is a great service once you have looked into your language and become proficient at writing.
Your writing is corrected..and well, sod it, the front page of the site tells you what it's about. Maybe this will help English to keep on growing as every bleedin' foreigner I've run into, shagged or otherwise encountered can speak decent English.

Link - http://lang-8.com/

I hope these 2 sites will be helpful, they are to me right now. And just think, when you've finished, maybe a foreign lay ain't too far away! ;)

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2012
    I already speak English and 'Merican.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited September 2012
    This seems like a very good Russian language website: http://learnrussian.rt.com/phonetics/
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2012
    I will give memrise a shot.

It has Italian. FUCK YEAH.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Dfg wrote: »
    I will give memrise a shot.

It has Italian. FUCK YEAH.

Just remember the hand gestures ;)

Oh and the leering at women. Plus this morning I had a fantasy we rode around PK blasting this out of a Cadillac. Possibly with an angry, armed mob chasing us.
    Don't ask why. I really don't know.

Also I'd love to learn Urdu...just in case I get taken hostage at any point in my life. East of here.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2012
    I can teach you some, I suck at Urdu to be honest, great with Spoken Urdu, hate written version. It's the most threat subject ever.
    edited September 2012
    When it comes to other languages I'm not all about the writing, rather spoken word so that's cool with me brah :D
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited September 2012
    Would anyone happen to k ow any good learn Korean websites??
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2012
    Anki is a great flashcard app with downloadable language sets. It uses the famous SM2 algorithm for card scheduling. http://www.ankisrs.net/

https://www.totseans.com/bbs/threads/21605-The-Arabic-Alphabet
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Lethargica wrote: »

DFG would probably know, what with all his Korean music videos :paki:

:D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2012
    Lethargica wrote: »
    DFG would probably know, what with all his Korean music videos :paki:

:D

Dammit, now I have to actually look up that info. I will ask my imaginary Korean GF.
    edited September 2012
    "Me horny, luv you long time", "Where i buy willy protector?" and "Can I stay" as well as "Back home, I big entrepreneur" will suffice I think.

What annoys me, but can't help, about languages for example is if I go to mainland Europe, most people (especially in built-up areas) speak English. They usually start off with one person talking to me, as I have no issue chatting crap to people I've just met, right up to kids flocking around me in Italy (pedobear style) shouting out phrases in English they learnt from football, cartoons or songs.

So when I go to Calais (or Northern France in general), Belgium, Holland etc I make an effort to learn the lingo (in case of emergency, especially medical terms), they all speak fuggin' English.
    It helps at times, but I like to flex my brain once in a while.

Then you get the anti-Anglo crowd who hate you for simply being English as we are seen as Colonial hypocrites (which to me is true, and is a fair point). This is especially true in Belgium. The amount of people who ignored me as I walked around, stuck abroad with only £10, dwindling medical supplies and a lecture in 24 hours with tears welling up in my eyes. It just made shit worse. I ended up befriending a bartender who helped me out a lot.