DYI: Altoids Survival Stove

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited November 2012 in Life
We did something like sort of like this (same basice principle) on News Years Eve 1980-1981 @ Ft. Stewart, GA. Myself and another PFC got stuck on guard duty at the motor pool. So that day we stole a case of C-Rations from the supply room so we had snacks for the night. Not wanting to eat them cold we opened a few cans, rolled up some strips of cardboard about the same width as the cans depth, went out into the yard and drained some brake fluid out of a deuce & half, took the lids and folded the cut off can lids into U shapes. and set them on top of the cans with the cardboard & brake fluid sort of like so.
2cqgmkm.png

Of course that is a quick and dirty filed construction what this guy shows in the video looks to be a much better design in that it is more compact, transportable, and the fuel source is cleaner and much less messy.

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Very nice! I actually have an Altoids mini survival kit in my everyday carry bag. I get weird looks but it's nice and compact (much like most other things, when I choose to show them off).

Might give this a shot. Altoids aren't as popular in the UK but you can source them. I always thought of the can stove idea, but if I can keep straight Altoids then all the better :)
  • Hellz-FuryHellz-Fury Regular
    edited November 2012
    This is a very good thread. If you are a survivalist, follow this.