Thinking about running a play by post D&D game.

2»

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2012
    I have been busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest these last 4 days. Tonight I should have time to sit down and put my toon together. Does ayone else have an idea of what class they are going to play?
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited September 2012
    Right on. Fair waring, these older editions of D&D tend to be fairly lethal to low level characters so don't put too much work in on them besides their stats, just a brief outline about them, which of the peoples they belong too, what they look like, any significant facts about them and what they did before their current careers. Also feel free to make up whatever you wish as far as cultures and what not, part of the fun of this is that what the players add to the game world becomes canon too. Also if you have any question regarding the character creation process just let me know.

Also a note to whomever my wish to play a magic user, I allow magic users and clerics to use whatever sort of weapon they may wish so ignore the book when it says that they are restricted to certain weapons.
    As another note all characters start with the maximum allowed hitpoints, so there is no need to worry about rolling them at first level and as for starting gold dont worry about it just pick a reasonable amount of equipment and don't forget actual provisions, food, waterskins, torches ect.
    edited September 2012
    Well that does it ima magic user
    edited September 2012
    Right on. Yeah I always thought it was retarded that somehow being a magic user physically prevented you from using certain weapons, same for clerics. Anybody else started on their characters? Like I said othern than that we are ready to go.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2012
    Dfg:

Care to explain this a bit. I will make my own character. It will be based on John Carter type hero and would have riding abilities etc. You told me to keep it simple but I want to make it as detailed as possible.
    edited September 2012
    Dfg wrote: »
    Dfg:

Care to explain this a bit. I will make my own character. It will be based on John Carter type hero and would have riding abilities etc. You told me to keep it simple but I want to make it as detailed as possible.

Those are your stat roles for your strength, constitution, dexterity, intelligence, wisdom, and charisma. As for you character class you will have to choose one of the classes in this manual and work with the abilities available to the class you choose. For details please read the following; http://www.swordsandwizardry.com/whiteboxpdf.pdf
    edited September 2012
    Feel free to put in as much detail as you like Dfg, that was just a suggestion I made because I didn't want to overwhelm new players, but if you have a concept in your head by all means brother flesh it out. The classes in the book provide your basic abilities, the background you deveolp for your character provides everything else. For instance if you say the character was a huntsman before an adventurer I would give a bonus to him were he to attempt to say, track down an animal as that would be something that it is reasonable to say he had experience in. John Carter, Conan the barbarian ect. are good inspiration for a character as they were direct influences on the people that developed the game.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2012
    Arkansan wrote: »
    Feel free to put in as much detail as you like Dfg, that was just a suggestion I made because I didn't want to overwhelm new players, but if you have a concept in your head by all means brother flesh it out. The classes in the book provide your basic abilities, the background you deveolp for your character provides everything else. For instance if you say the character was a huntsman before an adventurer I would give a bonus to him were he to attempt to say, track down an animal as that would be something that it is reasonable to say he had experience in. John Carter, Conan the barbarian ect. are good inspiration for a character as they were direct influences on the people that developed the game.

I listened to three John Carter books by now and I must say, I am in love with the character. So, yeah I am going to base majority of my character on him but since this is the great Dfg we're speaking off, I will add certain improvements as well.
    edited September 2012
    Thought an example character sheet might help a bit..

Name:
    Race:
    Class:

Hit Points: (How much damage you can take, this is determined by your class, Fighting Men start with 7, Clerics with 6, and Magic-Users with 6)

Strength:
    Intelligence:
    Wisdom:
    Constitution:
    Dexterity:
    Charisma:

Level/Current Xp: (All players start at level 1 with 0 experience points)
    Xp Bonus: (Each class has an attribute that having over a certain score in provides a bonus to the rate at which they develop)
    Saving Throw: (A Generic measure of your ability to avoid bad things, also used to determine your ability to succeed at assorted tasks, determined by class)

Weapons: (Your assorted armaments, choose a reasonable number)
    Armor: (Things that protect soft flesh)
    Equipment/Gold: (Currency and your other assorted possessions, think practical here, a pack, rations, a water skin, torches, and so on)

Description: (What do you look like?)
    Background: (A bit about the character, his history, what he did before he decided to take up adventuring, any skills he may have gained along the way, be reasonable about these things most like he hasn't climbed the tallest mountain, slain a dragon and mastered blindfolded cooking.... yet. Feel free to be as brief or detailed as you please.)
    edited January 2013
    Let this abomination unto the lord, this ritual of thread necromancy commence!

So this whole idea just sort of fizzled out last time. Anyone interested in trying to get this game off the ground again? Other than using the same set of rules I linked to last time I figure we could just start from scratch, and instead of me posting a set list of cultures for you guys to create your characters from like I did last time we could just go gonzo with this shit and whatever you guys come up with I can fit in.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2013
    I am still in, a bit over worked and distracted but still in.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2013
    Name: Richard Greco
    Sex: Male
    Race: The Esikoninen
    Class: Fighter

Hit Points: (How much damage you can take, this is determined by your class, Fighting Men start with 7, Clerics with 6, and Magic-Users with 6)

Strength: 14
    Intelligence: 10
    Wisdom: 11
    Constitution: 10
    Dexterity: 17
    Charisma: 12

Level/Current Xp: 1/0
    Xp Bonus: 10
    Saving Throw: ?
    Weapons: Long Bow, Sax Knife, (it’s a short blade), Throwing Knife, Poison, Knight Sword
    Armor: Leather with Iron mixed in to protect vital parts, the armor light yet strong enough to handle stabs.
    Equipment/Gold: Tent, Pot (cookware) {for coffee, stew, knife and spices)
    Description: Tall and handsome, I have a friendly character, I am quite trustable, people usually don’t find me as a threat, most of my weapons are concealed but I travel with my long bow and special cloak that covers my body. I have a special breed of horse which is as also my side kick.

Background: Richard Greco which is as alias for Dfg has served in a kingdom far away, he was trained by the Ranger Will who is an apprentice of Ranger Halt who served the mighty kingdom which shall not be named here. Rangers were the special task force that was assigned to keep the kingdom in check, they are expert tacticians, experts with arrows (they rarely miss) and they’re able to outwit their opponents by thinking outside of the box. Dfg was trained by Will one of the finest rangers that existed, he started young, he was a friend of Will until the kingdom got destroyed by an unknown force, the rangers died defending it and to save the last of the royal blood, Dfg who is in fact a prince has been traveling to find the main culprits behind the attack.

Some believe that it was dark magic but Dfg knows better, he has lost everything in his life, his kingdom, his friends and his family yet he still continues to live for their sake. He is confident, never gives up and has a remarkable inner beauty, ladies love him due to his loving and caring nature and he is a gentlemen of gentlemen. Never stood for women abuse some say it’s his biggest weakness yet at time he is practical, he doesn’t take risks, he avoids conflicts whenever possible, since his mission different.
    As a warrior few can match him in sword play yet he likes to keep his distance, before you see him chances are you will be dead, using the signature Rangers cloak which is great for concealing the person, the cloak is a combination of brown and green patterns that shimmer when someone tries to look at it, It’s not magical but just an illusion.

As he was trained by Rangers and Knights he is experienced in both fields but he didn’t have the chance to be in active service since he was from the nobility. He longs for company of the opposite sex yet he keeps things to himself. Deep down some might call him a self-abusive romantic. He lives to honor his kingdom and slave the devil that destroyed his kingdom.

Still working with the dice concept.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2013
    Yeah with the The Esikoninen race the royal blood story doesn't fit but we can roll with it or I can make a new one. First time player :(. I winged the stats btw.

Based on this role:

Strength: 11
    Intelligence: 19
    Wisdom: 14
    Constitution: 15
    Dexterity: 18
    Charisma: 11

Keep in mind I can shoot using long bow which is deadly and make arrows that can penetrate armor, I am also good with a sword and throwing knives.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I'm definitely still in, give me a minute and I'll create my character. Definitely by tomorrow anyways.
    edited January 2013
    Your doing fine Dfg, don't worry about the races I listed in that older post we are just going to ignore it except for the rolls I listed, just keep it to either human, elf, dwarf, or halfling like in the rule book, so basically whatever kind of background you come up with is fine. Cool character concept by the way. Just remember that with those rolls I posted you keep the three highest numbers and drop the lowest, each stat can have a maximum score of 18.

Glad to hear you are still aboard GoingNowhere. Anybody know if TDR is still in?

Also if anybody else is interested it is by far not to late, just let me know and I can get some rolls posted for you to start character creation.

A thought occurs, just out of curiosity has everyone give the rulebook I linked to a quick look over?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2013
    Arkansan wrote: »
    Your doing fine Dfg, don't worry about the races I listed in that older post we are just going to ignore it except for the rolls I listed, just keep it to either human, elf, dwarf, or halfling like in the rule book, so basically whatever kind of background you come up with is fine. Cool character concept by the way. Just remember that with those rolls I posted you keep the three highest numbers and drop the lowest, each stat can have a maximum score of 18.

Glad to hear you are still aboard GoingNowhere. Anybody know if TDR is still in?

Also if anybody else is interested it is by far not to late, just let me know and I can get some rolls posted for you to start character creation.

A thought occurs, just out of curiosity has everyone give the rulebook I linked to a quick look over?

I did, wasn't that easy :p
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, the rulebook kind of assumes that you have done this sort of thing before, which makes it a bit harder for those who have not. No sweat though, I am happy to field any questions about how things work.
    edited January 2013
    Well I am about 60-70% finished working on a the setting as I decided to throw out all the stuff I had written up before, this time I am going with a dark ages, weird fantasy with odd bits of sci-fi and horror blended in a pulp fantasy kinda thing. Think bits of Conan, Elric, and Lovecraft stuff feel wise, I should be ready to start running the game by Monday.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2013
    Fuck yeah, my first ever DoD game. This is going to be awesome.
    edited January 2013
    School has set me back a bit, however I will most definitely be ready to play by tommorow, all I need is for GoingNowhere and TDR to post their characters if they are still in.