Some enlightenment on Muslim snackbar saying

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited March 2013 in Spurious Generalities
So in the last few weeks I've been checking out Syrian videos on LiveLeak.
Much like any other video with Muslims in, the entire bloody thing is full of "Allah'u Ackbar!" in some level of scream, whisper or chatter.

What I want to know is do Muslims say this phrase at every given opportunity? I saw a French/Russian documentary on the Syria situation and they said that it is normally screamed (it's called a Takbir apparently) to bring those who are murdering closer to god and clear their conscience. As if it's the word to a higher existence.

I just wondered what others thought. Dfg! Any input? I can imagine, as it's used for a lot of situations...

"Oh Allah'u Ackbar, I burnt my toast!"

"HRRNGHHH, ALLAH'U...ACK..BARRRR I'm constipated..."

"Allah'u Ackbar! I won the lottery!"

You get the jist. I could see a sitcom coming out of this called simply "Allah'u Ackbar!" where it's used as a phrase for any emotion :p

Oh, also this was on TV earlier. I concede. Multiculturalism + TV = fail.
U FUCKIN' WOT, M8?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2013
    Takbeer can be a chant and it could be something said to motivate people. Basically it's used in Mosques during the prayers, also used in war, protests and generally places where you want people to get riled up. It means GOD IS GREAT, so if you're believer and you scream GOD IS GREAT, the rest would join in.

It's never used in normal situations while inserttheterm, I shat bricks but it can be uses, insertermhere, lets burn these infidels.

It's situation sensitive.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited January 2013
    Dfg wrote: »
    Takbeer can be a chant and it could be something said to motivate people. Basically it's used in Mosques during the prayers, also used in war, protests and generally places where you want people to get riled up.
    Wouldn't it be a more efective 'riled up' moment if one of them wore a "I :heart: George Bush" T-shirt. :confused:
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2013
    "Ya Muhammad!" might be like our "Jesus Christ!"
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, I know what it meant but I just wondered the uses it had - especially getting all riled up. Makes sense now. Can't really imagine Christians shouting "Jesus is great!" but certainly something along those lines...maybe "OH LAWDY!" if they are black and Southern :rolleyes:

Definitely not wearing headphones if I'm watching liveleak videos though. Damn! They certainly get all riled up in thurr!
    edited February 2013
    ^^^^ How do you know those? :confused::confused:
    edited February 2013
    Eh. I lived in a country that's predominately Muslim.

The reason i asked was because you knew where to put the guttural stops. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamza

where did you stay?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2013
    That's pretty freakin' awesome :) you'd easily scare some guys off with that, and blend into Muslim culture (I'm assuming, you're the one who lived there after all).

On a slightly more "mind in the gutter" topic, I bet those guttural sounds feel divine when giving oral. German was pretty good.

Ahem. Anyway, time to get memorising these for when I debate with my Army mates :D
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited March 2013
    Instead of saying "god dammit", I should start saying "Allah Akbar!". It actually sound catchy.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2013
    Guys here don't really even know where Pakistan is, no matter what it's like. My insistence that there's actually electricity and malls is apparently boring/they don't listen so I take a page from Dfg's book. Blending in Pakistan was pretty weird actually- there was disapproval when people started to speak to me in Urdu and I had no idea what they were saying ("Why do you only know English?" etc.) But that's not uncommon for me either- being ambiguously brown just means that I tend to disappear whenever there's brown people around :shrug:

And on those sayings it's easier to understand it in examples. Um. As Dfg said it mainly depends on the situation- in PK I didn't hear Bismillah a lot as opposed to insha'allah, ya allah, but I was limited in where I could go and when. I suppose if I traveled to other countries with a large Muslim population I would probably hear more.

Anyway.

Insha'allah means 'God Willing' and is similar to 'hopefully'. "X will happen, insha'allah"

Mash'allah is 'God willed it'. "I got an A on my test, mash'allah".

Ya Allah is sort of like 'my god/oh dear god'. I really never heard it except in sad or when disturbing situations happened in the country.

These were the most common.

^This,

Also, generally speaking Pakistan isn't that hostile as it seems if you're living in the right places.