Windows sucks sometimes

angryonionangryonion Just some guy
edited March 2013 in Spurious Generalities
Shit wtf I just cloned a new ssd and now I have no boot sector.I have tried boot rec exe bla bla bla and all that shit.I still have to boot from bois.
I'm gona install Linux mint14 just so I can get grub and be done.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2013
    angryonion wrote: »
    Shit wtf I just cloned a new ssd and now I have no boot sector.I have tried boot rec exe bla bla bla and all that shit.I still have to boot from bois.
    I'm gona install Linux mint14 just so I can get grub and be done.

When cloning you need to make sure you have the boot partition in it as well, it;s around 100 MB or so and it's usually before the windows drive.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2013
    There is no boot partition in windows as there is in linux. There is a boot sector which is on the same partition as the OS. However many drive imaging programs have settings which need to be configured properly in order to coy the boot sector to the correct address on the HDD. Don't blame windows for user error.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited March 2013
    There is no boot partition in windows as there is in linux. There is a boot sector which is on the same partition as the OS. However many drive imaging programs have settings which need to be configured properly in order to coy the boot sector to the correct address on the HDD. Don't blame windows for user error.

The problem I'm having with windows is that I cannot write a new boot sector, for some reason none of the bootrec.exe commands work.
    Its not a huge deal anyway grub will be installed later this week.The drive itself is awesome breathed new life into my pc.