ATTN: AR owners

HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Regular
edited March 2013 in Man Cave
CDNN has a pretty good sale on Pmags going right now with free shipping with FS100 as a code. Also, PSA has free shipping on everything, so go get some ammo and Pmags.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar22330pmnew.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/

Enjoy

Edit: Just spent roughly $350 between the two.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    I must admit, some of these guns are expensive, but damn sexy.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited June 2012
    Nine bucks is pretty much rock bottom.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Even as a Limey I know that's cheap. Now, not to derail the thread, but if I were to buy a stock AR, out of the box. Just bog standard. Is there a limit on the grain in the round I can go up to? Or does it not make a difference as long as it's the right calibre? I just saw some are 55gr. and wondered. Thought it may have an adverse effect on the weapon, but it might just mean more regular cleaning.

Talking of which I need to find my Marine Weapon cleaning kit my S.Sgt mate got me from Iraq. Still has a bit of sand on the toughened fabric case :cool:
  • 5.56 SS1095.56 SS109 Regular
    edited July 2012
    The grain of bullet you can use in an AR-15 is generally limited by two variables.

The length of the round can effect whether or not the round will feed from the magazine. Heavier rounds generally lead to a cartridge with a longer overall length. Or the AR-15 or other weapon using a STANAG magazine, a cartridge longer than 2.260" won't fit into the magazine. This means you would have to single load rounds longer than 2.260" into the chamber by hand. Single loading by hand is a common practice when shooting long range competitive matches with the AR-15, mainly because more streamlined bullets are also too long to fit in the magazine.

The other variable is the twist rate in the barrel. A rifle with a typical 1:7" twist rate (bullet makes one complete rotation for every 7" of rifling it travels in) will generally stabilize shorter/lighter projectiles as well as heavier/longer projectiles. However if you use very light bullets with thin copper jackets in a fast twist barrel, the can sometimes be spun so much that they shred themselves apart due to centrifugal force.

Bullet grain weight has no impact on how fast or slow the rifle or bore gets dirty, so changing bullet weights won't effect cleaning frequency.
    edited July 2012
    Holy shit that's a lot more detailed than I, a mere European, ever imagined.

Thanks for the detailed post. Makes me wish I could dick around with guns at a local range now.
    edited March 2013
    I'm gonna assume people have read about the 3d printing of an AR-lower and magazine :hai: it was only a matter of time!
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2013
    When they stop "printing" with "plastic" and start "printing" with metal let me know.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited March 2013
    When they stop "printing" with "plastic" and start "printing" with metal let me know.

Agreed.
    edited March 2013
    That...that is true. Plastic would scare me (lol, Glocknade). There's always Cad/Cam, but give it time...give it time *Mr Burns look*
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Regular
    edited March 2013
    Some of the polymer lowers that are made commercially are good to go, though I would want to be butt stroking anything with it.

I got lucky this week and picked up another PSA lower, that and my stripped upper came in the mail this week too. All I need is a barrel and barrel related parts, gas system parts, and a handguard.