Getting the Last Word

StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
edited December 2013 in Spurious Generalities
There are some people who just have to get the last word. I'm not talking about just in arguments, I mean in general conversation too. If you pay attention you'll realize that you probably know a good number of these people. It isn't a once or twice thing but and every single time thing. Whenever you stop talking to them or try to stop talking to them they always are the last to say something. I used to be one of these people and didn't realize it until someone else brought it to my attention. Since then I decided to not be "that guy". I try not to be the last one to say something and when I am I don't bother myself about it because I know that the amount of times that happens is outweighed by the times it doesn't.

Being the one who gets the last word to me was a subconscious thing but once I realized I was doing it I was able to stop doing it so much. I was able to correct this rude little quirk of mine. This made me realize that if anything subconscious is brought to the person's awareness then that person will be able to recognize when they are committing the subconscious act and thus be able to stop themselves from doing it. So, regardless of how much it may or may not hurt the other person you should make them aware (in a nice way if you like them) of their annoying little subconscious ticks or habits and eventually they'll thank you for it. Maybe not out loud but they'll be grateful nonetheless. I know I am.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2013
    Yeah I have the bad habit of trying to get the last word but normally I don't get into arguments, I have learned to control it now.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited December 2013
    I think i do this as well, but by definition, someone has to have the last word in a conversation. So, if i have something good to say, why not me?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2013
    I just let people talk when I am done saying shit. Then, unless I have asked a question, I tune them out most of the time.