God according to Gaskin

ArmsMerchantArmsMerchant Acolyte
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Stephen Gaskin was probably the pre-eminent metaphysicist of the 60s hippy movement. (If you want more info, wiki has a good article on him.) What follows is a quote from his book, " . . .this season's people," which I think is relevant and profound.

"You can't understand God. You can't define God, and you can't contain God.

"But you can, if you don't look at yourself, BE God.

"The way to keep from looking at yourself is to be so busy doing your best that you don't have anything left over to look with.

"You can't know the totality of God with your finite mind, because God is infinite, and your material plane intelligence is finite--it cannot contain an infinite thing. But if you aren't pressing about the totality, and just relax and observe what's in front of you, you are knowing God, because that's all there is to know.

"There is nothing else to know; and the knowledge, the knower, the thing known, and the act of knowing ARE ALL ONE and ARE ALL GOD.

"You are the eyes with which God looks, and the mind through which God understands itself."

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010
    Is this the real Armsmerchant?
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah it is. He was having trouble making an account, so I signed up the name and PM'd it to him on Zoklet. He's joined us.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Yeah it is. He was having trouble making an account, so I signed up the name and PM'd it to him on Zoklet. He's joined us.

Awesome. Good to have you here armsmerchant. I get what your saying and while I believe god is infinite and within us how can we "be god". hes within us yes but humans are imperfect and god cannot be imperfect so were limited as humans as for how much we can understand or "be him". I believe we can never stop searching for who god is but I question if we will ever truly know while here on earth.
  • KundaLiniKundaLini Regular
    edited July 2010
    This is almost like a manual to life.
  • Oink The PigOink The Pig Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    someone seriously went past the "insanity LD50" of some chemicals
  • ArmsMerchantArmsMerchant Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    We live in a constant struggle between our ego and our Essential Self. Since so much of media, politics, advertising and so forth is fear-based and egocentric, the Essential Self is often outnumbered.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited July 2010
    Stephen Gaskin was probably the pre-eminent metaphysicist of the 60s hippy movement. (If you want more info, wiki has a good article on him.) What follows is a quote from his book, " . . .this season's people," which I think is relevant and profound.

"You can't understand God. You can't define God, and you can't contain God.

"But you can, if you don't look at yourself, BE God.

"The way to keep from looking at yourself is to be so busy doing your best that you don't have anything left over to look with.

"You can't know the totality of God with your finite mind, because God is infinite, and your material plane intelligence is finite--it cannot contain an infinite thing. But if you aren't pressing about the totality, and just relax and observe what's in front of you, you are knowing God, because that's all there is to know.

"There is nothing else to know; and the knowledge, the knower, the thing known, and the act of knowing ARE ALL ONE and ARE ALL GOD.

"You are the eyes with which God looks, and the mind through which God understands itself."

No, its not that easy.
    "You are the eyes with which God looks, and the mind through which God understands itself."I call bullshit!
    This is nothing more than some "new age/old age bullshit"
    Protip YOU ARE NOT GOD ok get over your self.
    GOD does not give a flying fuck about you OR me.
    GOD is an asshole.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited July 2010
    If what you say is true then why is the world such a frigging mess??
    God must like pain.
    God must like war.
    God must like suffering.
    God loves HATE!!
    Tell me some more.
  • ArmsMerchantArmsMerchant Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    ^I love getting these easy questions.

See, we create reality--the world is as it is because so many of us choose that it be that way.

That said, often we "choose" by default--that is, by not taking a stand, we let the default value prevail. And often, the choices we make are at a preconscious level.

Most of the ills of the world can be traced back to separative thinking--if we all acted as if we were All One (which we are, at the Highest Level), the world would be healed overnight.

There would be no more rape or domestic violence or war, for openers.